This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much better will Cel-Shaded games look next-gen?

#1zerogravity399Posted 2/14/2013 11:41:20 PM
A game like Ni No Kuni for instance, uses an amazing art-style and it makes the graphics look very close to the point where you actually feel like you're watching an Anime. So, how much farther can they push these type of graphics? I mean, it already looks SO GOOD. It already looks as if it's the Anime itself. So next-gen, what are we looking at exactly? What can they possibly improve on for a cel-shaded game like this? How much more realistic can they make it look?
#2Brocken_JrPosted 2/14/2013 11:43:07 PM
look at wind waker hd
---
DmC's story mode in 8 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flH8MZo-4jw
#3angry_cowtipperPosted 2/14/2013 11:47:51 PM
Brocken_Jr posted...
look at wind waker hd

He said next gen
---
Don't Starve (PC), Okami HD (PS3), Halo: Reach (360), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)
#4zerogravity399(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:50:00 PM
angry_cowtipper posted...
Brocken_Jr posted...
look at wind waker hd

He said next gen

Yeah I think the PS4 will be considerably stronger in terms of graphics than the Wii-U.

So I'm saying how good will a PS4 cel-shaded game look compared to a PS3 one.
#5Soggy13Posted 2/14/2013 11:52:11 PM
Brocken_Jr posted...
look at wind waker hd

He said next gen

WiiU is the next gen of the Wii, wether or not it's up to snuff to compete with PS4 NextBox is to be determined. A correct answer would be WW isn't technically cel-shaded.
---
PSN/LIVE: Massacredone
Me thinks words is hard...
#6zerogravity399(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:55:44 PM
Soggy13 posted...
Brocken_Jr posted...
look at wind waker hd

He said next gen

WiiU is the next gen of the Wii, wether or not it's up to snuff to compete with PS4 NextBox is to be determined. A correct answer would be WW isn't technically cel-shaded.

Ok well let me rephrase. How much better would a game like Ni No Kuni look on a next-gen console? What more could possibly be improved if a game already looks 99% like an actual anime?
#7Devilman_AmonPosted 2/15/2013 12:00:21 AM
The best right now is (in this order):

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Naruto UNS games
Ni No Kuni
Catherine
Valkyria Chronicles
Robotics;Notes

I'd imagine next gen they could possibly be as good as the cut scenes in Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) and DQ VIII: Young Yangus (PS2)
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#8Soggy13Posted 2/15/2013 12:02:10 AM
zerogravity399 posted...
Soggy13 posted...
Brocken_Jr posted...
look at wind waker hd

He said next gen

Ok well let me rephrase. How much better would a game like Ni No Kuni look on a next-gen console? What more could possibly be improved if a game already looks 99% like an actual anime?

Not too much in that case mainly the environments and the physics. Look at some comparison videos for some of the grenade explosions from Borderlands PC and Console. Drool.... Basically make them smoother and perform better because they can't look much better. Cel-Shading is one of my favorite styles.
---
PSN/LIVE: Massacredone
Me thinks words is hard...
#9Devilman_AmonPosted 2/15/2013 12:03:38 AM
zerogravity399 posted...

less anti aliasing, finer outline detail, more advance use of facial expressions, more polygons, better overall animations of the characters and backgrounds, more diverse color palette techniques etc
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#10angry_cowtipperPosted 2/15/2013 12:31:47 AM
Soggy13 posted...
Brocken_Jr posted...
look at wind waker hd

He said next gen

Well, third party developers seem to have made up their minds. And when talk of the next gen comes up, one name is always missing.
---
Don't Starve (PC), Okami HD (PS3), Halo: Reach (360), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)