This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How likely would it be that Sony adopts a subscription model like LIVE?

#1GrimHeroPosted 2/15/2013 6:14:58 AM
I'm certain that Sony sees the profit Microsoft is earning in this area. Also, you can see their interest in introducing PS+. With a new generation coming up, and with new features put into place (better voice codec, voice chat across multiple games, better online backbone), do you think they will take the opportunity to put a new online subscription model into place?

I'm not entirely certain. On one hand, it could be good revenue for them, and they could use some help. On another hand, free online is, in itself, a feature worth marketing and can help them stand out against competitors.

Please no flame wars. This isn't intended as a console war topic. It is more of a discussion on what we might see coming on the 20th. Looking forward to some good discussion on the subject!
---
GT: huzzaa v1
PSN: huzzaa_v1
#2Anodyne11Posted 2/15/2013 6:21:46 AM
I'm not sure. I kinda hope not though.
I've got no problems paying for subscriptions but I rarely ever play online on my PS3 so if we had to pay to go online it would be a no for me. I just wouldn't pay it.

I'd rather have online passes since it's a 1 time fee for specific games that I can go back to play online whenever I want without paying again.
---
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG this gen!
Official Ultimecia of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#3deathsaber79Posted 2/15/2013 6:29:54 AM
I think they will stay the course in that online gaming remains free, along with app use (neflix, etc.)

They are seeing pretty good success with ps+ in offering stuff people actually want to pay for- most subscribers are very happy with what they are getting.

Live is biggest ripoff in gaming- you pay your internet provider for internet use, netflix for its use, yet you must pay ms to use services you already pay for and can already do free on a computer or smartphone.

The difference between PS+ and Live ispeople actually like PS+ and gladly pay for it. If MS enabled free online gaming and its userbase could play CoD for free, its Live subscribership would be 95 % gone.
#4methosagainPosted 2/15/2013 6:32:51 AM
deathsaber79 posted...
I think they will stay the course in that online gaming remains free, along with app use (neflix, etc.)

They are seeing pretty good success with ps+ in offering stuff people actually want to pay for- most subscribers are very happy with what they are getting.

Live is biggest ripoff in gaming- you pay your internet provider for internet use, netflix for its use, yet you must pay ms to use services you already pay for and can already do free on a computer or smartphone.

The difference between PS+ and Live ispeople actually like PS+ and gladly pay for it. If MS enabled free online gaming and its userbase could play CoD for free, its Live subscribership would be 95 % gone.

If people hate live so much, then why is it the biggest cash cow in gaming ever?
---
Law of the universe states the strong shall survive and the weak fall by the way, I don't give a damn what idealistic plan is cooked up, nothing changes that
#5GingaritoPosted 2/15/2013 6:35:48 AM
I pay for xbox live and ps+ and i am happy to do both although i do feel im getting more out of money from ps+ BUT feel im getting a much smoother online experience on xbox. I hope playstation stick to what there doing now with optional subscription.
---
Currently playing - Dead Space 3 , Infamous 2 , Pes 2013
Good kid , M.A.A.D City
#6TeepoPosted 2/15/2013 6:36:43 AM
possible since they want money and xbox showed that its owners are willing to pay.
---
Teepo, the Dark Dragon of Destiny.
#7GrimHero(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 6:38:07 AM
deathsaber79 posted...

I really like this bit here. I never really thought about it, but PS+ is much like a freemium game. They offer up their content for free, and for anyone who wants more can pay for it. Even Gabe Newell addressed in his DICE keynote that free to play games can see just as good results as full price games.

The only difference I see is that, with free to play games, users have the opportunity to spend a crazy amount of money, sometimes hundreds of dollars, and that offsets the users who don't buy anything. With PS+, users get what they get for a flat price for the year or months they subscribe without the opportunity to spend more in a way.

Do the PS+ members actually spend enough to offset the users that choose not to pay?
---
GT: huzzaa v1
PSN: huzzaa_v1