This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

lack of epic jrpg in ps3 era is disappointing.

#21AstroshakPosted 2/15/2013 11:23:55 AM
Having experience points does not automatically make the game into an RPG. Valkyria Chronicles is not an RPG. Those that do count it as an RPG would have to agree that it is Strategy RPG, not "JRPG".

For that matter, the Disgaea games are SRPG as well, not "JRPG".

Sadly, until people can agree upon whether the "Japanese" says where the game style was developed, or where the game was developed, the term "JRPG" is without consistent meaning, and thus just without meaning.

Now, there are a bunch of console style RPG's for the PS3. Whether you consider the Hyperdimension Neptunia series "epic" is a matter of personal taste. Whether you consider Enchanted Arms to be "epic" is a matter of personal taste. Whether you consider any of Cross Edge, FF13, FF13-2, Ni No Kuni, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 4, Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, White Knight Chronicles, WKC2 to be "epic" is, again, a matter of personal taste.

Some of those games I liked, others I did not even buy. There are other games that people can argue over whether they deserve "JRPG" status if they wish, as well. And, again, whether any of THOSE games is epic" is also a matter of personal taste.

Still, I did not even name Action RPG's, Strategy RPG's, or PC RPG's (what some people call "WRPG", though I would argue that "WRPG" is another term without meaning as the West invented all these RPG types). There are a lot of RPG's available for the PS3.
#22ScreamingMidgetPosted 2/15/2013 11:28:44 AM
Astroshak posted...
Having experience points does not automatically make the game into an RPG. Valkyria Chronicles is not an RPG. Those that do count it as an RPG would have to agree that it is Strategy RPG, not "JRPG".

For that matter, the Disgaea games are SRPG as well, not "JRPG".

Sadly, until people can agree upon whether the "Japanese" says where the game style was developed, or where the game was developed, the term "JRPG" is without consistent meaning, and thus just without meaning.

Now, there are a bunch of console style RPG's for the PS3. Whether you consider the Hyperdimension Neptunia series "epic" is a matter of personal taste. Whether you consider Enchanted Arms to be "epic" is a matter of personal taste. Whether you consider any of Cross Edge, FF13, FF13-2, Ni No Kuni, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 4, Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, White Knight Chronicles, WKC2 to be "epic" is, again, a matter of personal taste.

Some of those games I liked, others I did not even buy. There are other games that people can argue over whether they deserve "JRPG" status if they wish, as well. And, again, whether any of THOSE games is epic" is also a matter of personal taste.

Still, I did not even name Action RPG's, Strategy RPG's, or PC RPG's (what some people call "WRPG", though I would argue that "WRPG" is another term without meaning as the West invented all these RPG types). There are a lot of RPG's available for the PS3.

W and JRPG are not even genres. What are you on about?
#23_tanjil_Posted 2/15/2013 11:47:35 AM
atma6 posted...
I would consider neither Souls games or DD to be JRPGs, but some people seem to think that because of the nationality of the developer.

JRPGs have taken a huge hit this generation because of how unprofitable they are and how much more expensive they are compared to much more profitable genres such as shooters. While you mention PS3 era, easily the best JRPG of the generation is Xenoblade Chronicles, which stands shoulder to shoulder with some of the greats in the genre. As for the PS3, many will say Ni no Kuni; although, the outdated, boring mechanics make it hard for me to call it an "epic JRPG", just a very good game.

This is pretty well said. Although Demon and Dark Souls are awesome games, people tend to forget exactly what JRPGs are. If you're entire life you went by the definition JRPG is simply made in Japan than good for you I guess.

But I'm guessing most of us go with JRPG is more of a style. JRPGs tend to have a massive story, usually a huge world, and "well thought out" characters. Essentially Japanese devs want you to experience their story their way.

WRPGs on the other hand give you character creation and choices though out the story, such that you experience the devs story but you can choose how you experience it.

Anyways yeah JRPGs have been crap this gens. People think naming one or two good ones will justify it but it doesn't. In past gens you easily name more than 10 that were good
#24Ryan SiPosted 2/15/2013 11:49:18 AM
Not on PS3, but Xenoblade is the best JRPG of the generation. The Souls games are just Japan's take on western-RPGs. They feel nothing like a JRPG to me.
---
Currently Playing: Portal 2 (PC), DMC3 HD (PS3), Assassins Creed II (PC), Super Mario All-Stars (Wii)
#25Juvart24Posted 2/15/2013 11:49:53 AM
mogar002 posted...
ITT we devalue the term grand by using it to describe FF12.

Agreed
---
"A true hero turns into a werewolf, kills a village full of idiots, then pimps their women out for profit to buy new armor" - Exar0s
GT: Juvart24
#26steker16Posted 2/15/2013 11:50:47 AM
Buy a Wii and then try to find a used copy of Xenoblade (It might cost you $100+).

ya, or you know just get dolphin emu and play it on your PC for free
---
nomnomnom