This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say PC gaming is less expensive?

#21SpaceMarineZackPosted 2/16/2013 8:13:49 PM
WTF is this BS $2000 for a gaming PC I spent $1000 for my PC and run all games at 1080p on high settings.

Ignorance in this board is strong.

And not to mention the steam sales, last time I spent $60 on a game was Max Payne 3.
#22sean2995Posted 2/16/2013 8:16:09 PM
SpaceMarineZack posted...
WTF is this BS $2000 for a gaming PC I spent $1000 for my PC and run all games at 1080p on high settings.

And not to mention the steam sales, last time I spent $60 on a game was Max Payne 3.

Really? I did that for awhile, then my computer couldn't handle running games at that high anymore after about 3-4 years. Had to spend some more $$ to upgrade some of the stuff.

I think it was because I ran games on max setting that the components died out faster. Mainly just Video card but still.
#23SpaceMarineZackPosted 2/16/2013 8:18:18 PM
sean2995 posted...

Really? I did that for awhile, then my computer couldn't handle running games at that high anymore after about 3-4 years. Had to spend some more $$ to upgrade some of the stuff.

I think it was because I ran games on max setting that the components died out faster. Mainly just Video card but still.

I bought my PC in 2011 and dont plan to upgrade my GPU until the next Gens hit the markets.
#24rswsc0407Posted 2/16/2013 8:30:22 PM
You guys are making me want to find out what I need to do to upgrade my laptop so everything runs faster.

I plan on getting myself some more RAM first. I want to get a pair of 4GB RAM cards. I've got a site bookmarked for it, and it's compatible with my laptop cause they have a tool on the site just for that.

It'll cost be about $45 including S&H. That's not too expensive I'm guessing.
---
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407
#25sean2995Posted 2/16/2013 8:33:43 PM
rswsc0407 posted...
You guys are making me want to find out what I need to do to upgrade my laptop so everything runs faster.

I plan on getting myself some more RAM first. I want to get a pair of 4GB RAM cards. I've got a site bookmarked for it, and it's compatible with my laptop cause they have a tool on the site just for that.

I was surprised how cheap ram is now. The comp store near me hands them out like candy. I think the 8gig sticks are about 80$ at most.
#26Godly_GoofPosted 2/16/2013 8:34:56 PM
sean2995 posted...

It depends on a lot of stuff. You can make an average strength build run really well of its optimized properly. That and certain video cards have dropped a lot in price lately with new tech coming out and games still won't utilize that for a bit yet so it makes it a bit more cost efficient for the time being.

Although new ones are generally really expensive...
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#27AsucaHayashiPosted 2/16/2013 8:42:21 PM
rswsc0407 posted...

if your laptop is bad for gaming in the first place there's nothing you can do to help it... least of all shove more ram into it unless you have like 1GB or something.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#28dj___rollPosted 2/16/2013 8:48:42 PM
Quote:Besides just the initial price of games, don't forget the sales. Console sales just do not compare to some of the ones you see on digital games. Just look at some of the sales that were going on around Christmas. Between GMG, Steam, Amazon, GoG, and many more you could get a ton of games for a fraction of their normal price.

This really counters the whole used argument I think, as the amount of money you save is really night and day.

@Zetgob
For older games, the PC definitely has the consoles beat price wise. But, I've found most brand new multiplats get the same sales/discounts across all the systems at the same time or close to.

I think the cost is a wash in the end. The only other factor for most is if they can hook it up to their big tv or not. Most people wouldn't want a big PC in their living room. I know I don't.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#29AcquirePosted 2/16/2013 8:52:29 PM
A lot of people seem to also forget that a gaming PC isn't just for gaming. A lot of you that are saying how expensive it is, you're on a PC right now, that was a few hundred dollars. If you factor that in it's not that expensive. It will be expensive the first time in when doing a build from scratch, but after that it's only a few hundred dollars every few years to keep it top of the line. Some people upgrade with more frequency (like me) just because we can and like to always be close to the top in terms of hardware.

I built my PC 3 years ago for about $1100. With all original components it would still run all games today at 1920x1080 resolution an very high quality graphics with very good frame rate and wouldn't drop below high quality visuals for year sto come. I upgraded my cpu and gpu every two generations just because I like to, but it isn't neccessary.

Once you make the initial build, only marginal upgrades are needed every few years if you want to keep running games in very high quality. The massive sales that constantly happen will offset a lot of the costs as well. I've only been PC gaming for about 3 years and I've amassed more games on steam than all my console games combined over the past three generations simply because of how cheap they are to buy. Even new releases can be gotten for big discounts in pre orders. I've prepurchased many $60 console games on the PC for under $40.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#30Godly_GoofPosted 2/16/2013 8:56:15 PM
Acquire posted...
A lot of people seem to also forget that a gaming PC isn't just for gaming. A lot of you that are saying how expensive it is, you're on a PC right now, that was a few hundred dollars. If you factor that in it's not that expensive. It will be expensive the first time in when doing a build from scratch, but after that it's only a few hundred dollars every few years to keep it top of the line. Some people upgrade with more frequency (like me) just because we can and like to always be close to the top in terms of hardware.

I built my PC 3 years ago for about $1100. With all original components it would still run all games today at 1920x1080 resolution an very high quality graphics with very good frame rate and wouldn't drop below high quality visuals for year sto come. I upgraded my cpu and gpu every two generations just because I like to, but it isn't neccessary.

Once you make the initial build, only marginal upgrades are needed every few years if you want to keep running games in very high quality. The massive sales that constantly happen will offset a lot of the costs as well. I've only been PC gaming for about 3 years and I've amassed more games on steam than all my console games combined over the past three generations simply because of how cheap they are to buy. Even new releases can be gotten for big discounts in pre orders. I've prepurchased many $60 console games on the PC for under $40.

My iPhone is a PC? LIAR! Lol
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."