This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hope it's a touch pad and not a touch screen for the PS4 controller

#1monkeyman0111Posted 2/15/2013 6:55:08 PM
While I wouldn't mind the touch screen. The touch pad sounds simple, energy efficient, cheaper to producer, and I could keep focus on one screen
---
"There are TONS of games that look BEAUTIFUL. It's not a matter of polygons anymore, it's a matter of ART DIRECTION now"
PSN: Monkeyman0111
#2userfrigginamePosted 2/15/2013 7:03:03 PM
Yeah, it'd make the controllers cheaper, but I don't really care for either. I just don't see much use for a touch pad. Then again, I guess it couldn't hurt (besides being more expensive than regular dualshock controllers).
#3pixel378Posted 2/15/2013 7:05:08 PM
Not having either would be even cheaper.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#4brycemorrPosted 2/15/2013 7:07:28 PM
From all the pictures Ive seen so far its a touch pad just like whats on the vitas back side. Im loving the over all design as well. Im just not too enthusied about having a biometrics added into the grips.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#5cirkmetroidPosted 2/15/2013 7:08:04 PM
The controllers are going to be expensive no matter what. I mean seriously, look at the cost of Dualshock 3's. They are high.

Having said that, did you ever have a dreamcast? They had this thing, I think it was called a VMU, visual memory unit, that plugged into the controller the same way the dreamcast memory cards did. It had a LCD screen, real low quality of course, something like those tamagotchi toys. Yeah, obviously it wasn't for PLAYING games, it did have a nice purpose.

For some sports or turn based strategy games, you could make selections that would only show up on the VMU, instead of the screen.

Most multiplayer games nowadays are obviously focused on online, but having some form of secondary screen *DOES* have a benefit, in some situations.

Having said that, it's going to be a touchPAD from what everything else has linked. But don't think that even if it were a touchSCREEN, that it would "be distracting." Most games won't use it, heck, most games don't even use the sixaxis motions...but it's there as an OPTION.

Just saying!
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
.....still really hoping there will be more Legacy of Kain games...somehow!
#6monkeyman0111(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 7:22:06 PM
brycemorr posted...
From all the pictures Ive seen so far its a touch pad just like whats on the vitas back side. Im loving the over all design as well. Im just not too enthusied about having a biometrics added into the grips.

Me too, it like the design the more I think about it. matte padding wouldn't leave ugly smudges like a screen would.

And I have no clue if biometrics will be cool, but if the speaker is real that would be cool for games like MGS. Otocon could speak through it
---
"There are TONS of games that look BEAUTIFUL. It's not a matter of polygons anymore, it's a matter of ART DIRECTION now"
PSN: Monkeyman0111
#7VanderZooPosted 2/15/2013 8:26:46 PM
A touch pad is pointless for a console. Latest insider reports say it's a resistive touch screen that won't be used for gaming at all. It will display battery life, friends list, act as a mini U.I and stuff like that.