This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

'The SNES wasn't backward compatible with NES games, so why should PS3/PS4?'

#31jammiesPosted 2/16/2013 9:19:20 AM
NicoGrimm posted...
NicoGrimm posted...
Wait. That's a stupid argument though.
Nintendo's NEVER had BC. (well, not counting Virtual Console on Wii, of course).

PS2 was bc with PS1, PS3 (fat) was BC with PS2.
It's sorta Sony's thing.

Well..was, Not anymore, I suppose.

I thought wii could play ngc and wii-u could play wii. Still, that is beside the point, if anything things should attempt to change for better.... not for worse. If its to get worse then next gen is pointless in the first place.

Oh wow, the Wii definitely can play NGC games. I have no clue how I forgot that. I have a Wii laying right next to my PS3. :(

Though, in my defense, I never owned a GC, I guess. D:

Nintendo has also done BC on their handhelds for a long time.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#32riddlebox89Posted 2/16/2013 2:14:50 PM
Actually the SNES was backwards compatible with NES games, you just needed an attachment to play them.

NicoGrimm posted...
Wait. Those people are stupid, though.
Nintendo's NEVER had BC. (well, not counting Virtual Console on Wii, of course).

As I and others have said, there's an adapter that you could buy for the SNES to play NES games on it, then there was also the Gameboy Color, which was backwards compatible with original Gameboy games, the Gameboy Advance which was backwards compatible with both Gameboy and Gameboy Color games, and the DS which was backwards compatible with Gameboy Advance games.

To say Nintendo consoles never had backwards compatibility is simply stupid.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#33StarGoyPosted 2/16/2013 2:22:03 PM
As others have said, Sony essentially started the trend, which became an industry standard. You can't use an example that existed prior to that standard as a standard for the post.
#34Stanger5150Posted 2/16/2013 2:32:39 PM
I agree that the argument doesn't apply these days.

The NES and SNES are FAR more reliable than any console today. Plus, the SNES sat perfectly on top of the NES so there wasn't a space issue.

Nowadays, BC is more important because we have no idea when our PS3s will break, and how hard they will be to find in the future. My SNES is 22 years old and going strong. Even the super slim won't be able to do that. My NES is 25 years old, and I've only had to replace one 72 pin connector, which is cheap and easy.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#35Stanger5150Posted 2/16/2013 2:34:14 PM
You_Need_A_Life posted...
While I agree with the topic title in context, the problem here is that NES games weren't generally better than SNES games.

Today, this is certainly not the case.

That's a matter of opinion. I think a lot of NES games are better than their SNES counterparts.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#36Stanger5150Posted 2/16/2013 2:37:39 PM
2NIKNIM posted...
rockymin posted...
2NIKNIM posted...
lostnumberwar posted...
The Atari 7800 was backwards compatible with Atari 2600 carts.

The Atari 5200 wasn't though.

There was an adapter for that sold though.

I never knew that. To be honest it is the only Atari cart-based console that I do not own :( ...yet.

You're not missing much. The 5200 is the size of a Buick, and it probably has the most unreliable controller I've ever used. Also, unlike the 2600, Sega Genesis controllers are not compatible.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#37JiZamezPosted 2/16/2013 2:40:55 PM
Genesis was backwards compatible with the Master System through a hardware attachment, so the SNES point is moot, as it was during the same gen.
---
Playstation 3 Network ID: MapleStory
My Fat Princess, Square-Enix, & other game OST's: http://youtube.com/mapleps3
#38ThePCElitistPosted 2/16/2013 2:49:05 PM
lostnumberwar posted...
The Atari 7800 was backwards compatible with Atari 2600 carts.

/topic
---
NicoGrimm posted...
I built my computer with my own bare hands out of sticks, pine cones, and sweat! My internet is a rubberband tied to a squirrel
#39Pato468Posted 2/16/2013 2:52:42 PM
lostnumberwar posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
All the games you bought off of PSN are now worthless once you upgrade to PS4? That doesn't make sense. SNES didn't have an online gaming, movie & music network

The PS4 wouldn't have some kind of seek and destroy feature for previous models so I'm sure you can still play those games on the system you bought them to play on.

You're so naive...

Remember this moment when your PS4 sends Arnold back in time to kill you and your entire family while you played MGS4