This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GameStop fights to keep used games on PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720

#91riddlebox89Posted 2/17/2013 3:09:11 AM
Chocobo115 posted...
They could keep the used games if big chains paid a % of each game sold to the developers/publishers.

First purchase rights, by law Publishers aren't entitled to anything past the first purchase, so this would be going against that.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#92BurgerTime79Posted 2/17/2013 3:18:26 AM
riddlebox89 posted...
Chocobo115 posted...
They could keep the used games if big chains paid a % of each game sold to the developers/publishers.

First purchase rights, by law Publishers aren't entitled to anything past the first purchase, so this would be going against that.

They're not entitled yes, but there's nothing that says an individual company can't decide to implement a system that kicks a little cash back to the people who made the game with every used sale from their store, online or not. A full out system that all stores have to follow will never happen, and for the reason you mentioned.

And before anyone starts in with "Well what about online passes? Those would go against that law." No, no they don't. Companies are allowed to block access to the online functionality of their games, because you're accessing their servers or using an instructor they put in place that goes beyond the game and the system. They can choose only allow the purchasers that actually gave them money access, and have everyone else pay $10. It's also in Sony's user agreement that they can pull a function off at any time. The nature of online services kind of requires they add that, or else people would be suing every time they do maintenance. People already cry and act like their life was ruined as it is.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#93thesnoopmeisterPosted 2/17/2013 3:21:15 AM
You clowns disgust me. Spoilt little brats you all need a good kicking for wanting people to lose their jobs.
#94pedrovay2004Posted 2/17/2013 3:27:36 AM(edited)
Too many gamers have a sick sense of instant gratification nowadays. You want to get rid of used games? How about the future, when you won't be able to go back and play a game you missed out on? How about not being able to take your games to a friend's house?

The day used games are blocked -- i.e., when we're forced to bend over and take with with ridiculous, failed DRM that PC gamers have to deal with -- is the day I find a new hobby, preferably involving companies that actually give a crap about their customers.

And here's an idea: If you don't like GameStop, DON'T SHOP THERE. If you truly want GameStop to go under, resulting in the destruction of thousands of jobs, then you're a disgusting person who doesn't deserve to be playing video games in the first place.
#95riddlebox89Posted 2/17/2013 3:38:39 AM
pedrovay2004 posted...
Too many gamers have a sick sense of instant gratification nowadays. You want to get rid of used games? How about the future, when you won't be able to go back and play a game you missed out on? How about not being able to take your games to a friend's house?

This, getting rid of used games will do nothing but hurt the gaming industry, hell for some, the purchase of a game depends on enjoying a previous game in the franchise, as in, some people won't buy the brand new sequel without checking out at least one of the previous games first.

Like this.

Dead Space 2 comes out, I'm somewhat interested but not really since I didn't play the first one and don't know if it's worth the $60 or not, I buy the first game used, enjoy it, buy the second one new.

Same with Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim, would I have bought either of those if I didn't buy Fallout 3/Oblivion used and enjoyed them so much? Most likely not.

Now say a game like...Dishonored 2 comes out, you're interested in it but want to play the first game to see if you'd like the sequel or not, no used games would mean you wouldn't be able to go back to the first game and try it out to see if the sequel is worth it.

Not only that but you want a game that came out tomorrow, have a lot of more important things to do with your money at the time, the game goes out of print so they're no longer making anymore new copies, no used games would mean you wouldn't be able to play that game that you wanted to play.

Seriously, anyone who supports this trashy idea is nothing less than a tool, hell anyone who thinks this idea would actually work should look at the PSP-GO, a digital only/technically no used games console and see how big a flop that was.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#96ElBorak77Posted 2/17/2013 4:55:00 AM
BurgerTime79 posted...
ElBorak77 posted...
gamestop works for me. i get cheap used games and then trade them back in. if i had to buy only new games i wouldn't buy any. a lot of people have things they need their money for besides games.

Your spending habits aren't everyone else's, and yes, a lot of people do have things they can spend their money on, and they DO. That's completely irrelevant to this discussion besides wanting to point out that you don't keep anything.

wow.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#97thegreatsquarePosted 2/17/2013 5:49:12 AM(edited)
I'm primarily a PC gamer now, but I do have both the 360 and PS3 [original 60GB]. I use the consoles for exclusives [which I buy new to support developers I like such as Insomniac and Naughty Dog] and used games where the publisher' DRM [usually Ubisoft and R*, sometimes EA] is unacceptable on the PC version. I know exclusives alone are not on their own enough for me buy a console.

I think the Game Industry is going to have a 80s style collapse [...and I'm 42, so I was there] due to the prohibition of used games because the user base going to shrink and the remaining base will get very selective with their purchases. Every time I tell uninformed gamers or the parents of gamer at work about there being no used games on the consoles, they're always like "say whaaa.... no man, nah ...that's crazy" and stuff to that effect.

So mark my words: If used games are prohibited on the next generation consoles, Gamers are going to jump ship in droves. They will hang on to their current consoles longer. They will move to PC. They will use their tablets and phones. Those that buy the 720/PS4 will buy fewer games for full price, they will not buy the same game year after year, whether it is Madden or Medal of Honor. Anything that is not AAA will sit on the shelf, games based on movies, fuggedaboutit. New IPs? Do you really wan to take a $50-$60 chance on a new IP? $40? $30? Remember, games are going to be forever now ...just like herpes.
---
Q9450@3.2GHz - HD5970- ASUS P5N-D - 4GB Mushkin 950MHz -Prolimatech Megahalem-Corsair 750TX -CM590- SAMSUNG 2343BWX 23" 2048x1152 - Creative X-fi - SRH440
#98YukitoRamboPosted 2/17/2013 5:27:03 AM
thegreatsquare posted...
I'm primarily a PC gamer now, but I do have both the 360 and PS3 [original 60GB]. I use the consoles for exclusives [which I buy new to support developers I like such as Insomniac and Naughty Dog] and used games where the publisher' DRM [usually Ubisoft and R*, sometimes EA] on PC is unacceptable on the PC version. I know exclusives alone are not on their own enough for me buy a console.

I think the Game Industry is going to have a 80s style collapse [...and I'm 42, so I was there] due to the prohibition of used games because the user base going to shrink and the remaining base will get very selective with their purchases. Every time I tell uninformed gamers or the parents of gamer at work about there being no used games on the consoles, they're always like "say whaaa.... no man, nah ...that's crazy" and stuff to that effect.

So mark my words: If used games are prohibited on the next generation consoles, Gamers are going to jump ship in droves. They will hang on to their current consoles longer. They will move to PC. They will use their tablets and phones. Those that buy the 720/PS4 will buy fewer games for full price, they will not buy the same game year after year, whether it is Madden or Medal of Honor. Anything that is not AAA will sit on the shelf, games based on movies, fuggedaboutit. New IPs? Do you really wan to take a $50-$60 chance on a new IP? $40? $30? Remember, games are going to be forever now ...just like herpes.

I agree with you, but...

If used games are blocked - and people become stricter in their purchase choices - then a majority of binary-coded piles of **** such as FFXIII series, EA's repeating sports games, CoDs, Street Fighter rehashes and RE6 would end up being buried in the desert along with that ET game. That, I'm not sure is a bad thing. lol
---
"...Winning is of little consequence. What's important is communicating through one's fists."
GFWL tag: DoraemonJerlun
#99h12456208Posted 2/17/2013 5:27:08 AM
Soul_On_Display posted...
It would hurt Sony and MS if they don't help keep gamestop alive. Gamestop makes it easier to get games (aside from Best Buy, Walmart, etc) but they also have some more unique benefits, like a decent preorder process.

Why, people will still be able to get ALL of their games at Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Costco, Sams Club, Target, Sears, Kmart, and Amazon.

It will not hurt them one bit. Is blockbuster closing hurting the movie industry, NO. Just like Suncoast Mo Pic Co going OOB did not hurt it. What about all of the music stores like FYE closing, that is not hurting the music industry.

MS, Sony, and Nintendo will be fine.

Oh, and add toys r us to the list up there as well to buy games at
---
"The blackest eyes. The Devil's Eyes"
- Dr. Loomis - HalloweeN
#100majin nemesisPosted 2/17/2013 6:06:13 AM
go GameStop
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage