This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was FF7 the first game to introduce the

#1NicoGrimmPosted 2/16/2013 8:24:06 AM
Upper City/Lower City thing we see in a lot of games now?

I mean like. Literally Upper/Lower. Like, the Upper city is built on top of the lower city, and has all the rich people, while the lower city is run down, and ugly looking, and has everyone that's poor?
I've seen in mentioned in a few games now (surprisingly enough, I think FF7 is the only RPG I can think of), but can't seem to think of anything that came earlier.
---
Somebody tell me, tell me, tell me, when will I learn? I love it and I leave it and I watch it burn! Damn this wild young heart!
#2userfrigginamePosted 2/16/2013 8:31:52 AM
Resonance of Fate is the only game I can think of right now, but I can't think of anything before FFVII.
#3DarkSymbiotePosted 2/16/2013 8:35:06 AM
Maybe but works outside of games have done it before.

DE: Human Revolution has Upper and Lower Hengsha. Although you can't go to Upper Hengsha.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#4NicoGrimm(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:35:10 AM
Oh right, i totally forgot about RoF!

The 2 games I was thinking of was China in Deus Ex 3, and Japan in Binary Domain.
---
Somebody tell me, tell me, tell me, when will I learn? I love it and I leave it and I watch it burn! Damn this wild young heart!
#5ShineboxerPosted 2/16/2013 8:41:10 AM
Yes, because a videogame pioneered the concept of price, location, and quality with urban squalor.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#6LeagultPosted 2/16/2013 8:42:34 AM
You couldn't even explore the upper city in FF7. Well a tiny bit after the 1st reactor.
#7NicoGrimm(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:43:57 AM
You couldn't even explore the upper city in FF7. Well a tiny bit after the 1st reactor.

Right, but the idea was there, right?
---
#8nouseravailablePosted 2/16/2013 8:48:31 AM(edited)
There are a few: Final Fantasy XII and Septerra Core (i think this is after ff7 tho) come to mind. Wasnt Zeal society segmented in Chrono Trigger (those capable of magic and those who arent)?
---
NP: Ocarina of Time 3D, Ni No Kuni and P4Arena
#9jammiesPosted 2/16/2013 8:50:16 AM
NicoGrimm posted...

NicoGrimm posted...
The 2 games I was thinking of was China in Deus Ex 3, and Japan in Binary Domain.

I'm confused. Did I miss something?
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#10NicoGrimm(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:53:10 AM(edited)
Huh, I forgot about Zeal.
Though, does it technically count? Far as I remember, those who weren't capable of Magic lived on the ground, and those who were lived in the Sky, right?

NicoGrimm posted...

NicoGrimm posted...

I'm confused. Did I miss something?

Apperently, you did.
Those are the game I was thinking of. But, as people have shown, there are OBVIOUSLY more games that do it.

Also, why do I feel so much hostility from some of you? If it's a general defensive response to FF7 topics, I assure you I'm no fan. I've played the game once, I thought it was decent, but not great.
If it's something else, I'm sorry for whatever I've done?
---