This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I dont understand what is SOOO hard about making a Survival horror game???

#1Jx1010Posted 2/16/2013 12:17:28 PM
Just throw 4 or 5 players online in a survival / zombie environment...
and see who comes out alive.....

Developers must be worthless if they cant make this
#2LightningSkyPosted 2/16/2013 12:24:15 PM
That's not how it works, you're oversimplifying it. When you've played the genre long enough, it becomes difficult to be scared. And seriously zombies? They're so overused they're not even scary anymore. And online? Things are never scary when you have other human players with you. What you have is a formula for something that could pass off as survival but not survival horror.
#3DemonDog666Posted 2/16/2013 12:26:09 PM(edited)
The only way to make a good survival horror is to under power the player and force them to use the environment to their advantage or die. All the so called survival horror's are just shooters with a horror theme with the exception of some of the pc niche ones.
#4ironmaidenfan70Posted 2/16/2013 12:26:40 PM
Cause they don't sale anymore on consoles,if you want them get a pc
---
I used to do drugs. I still do drugs. But I used to, too.
#5Sevi_neyPosted 2/16/2013 12:27:07 PM
Yeah, I'd really like one of dem survivalistic horror games. yeah!
---
as the resurrection of Bill Cosby, relinquish your pudding or perish at the backhand of Bill Cosbyeatindapuddin
#6RayconPosted 2/16/2013 12:27:09 PM
LightningSky posted...
That's not how it works, you're oversimplifying it. When you've played the genre long enough, it becomes difficult to be scared. And seriously zombies? They're so overused they're not even scary anymore. And online? Things are never scary when you have other human players with you. What you have is a formula for something that could pass off as survival but not survival horror.

Which, if you ask me, is the more important aspect. We have plenty of games these days that have "horror themes" but so few survival-based games. As long as they get that half right with a modest attempt at a horror atmosphere, I'm happy as a clam.

To answer the topic question, the reason we don't have any is because they're not profitable. No one's getting CoD-like sales from a survival horror game... They're too niche, though I love them dearly.

On second though, isn't Resident Evil Outbreak exactly what your opening post describes?
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#7StarGoyPosted 2/16/2013 12:30:45 PM
To make a trult sickening Survival Horror game would be beyond what current publishers are willing to support.

But as a genre, it has too many stupid tropes. The games are always visually morbid, with lethargic, almost depressed characters and corny scripts.

Someone should create a horror game that's initially bright, optimistic, and happy (not Loli Chainsaw happy). And have it gradually degrade into madness.

You play normal characters. No convicts, no suicidal parent looking for their kid/wife. No soldiers, veterans. No government agents. Just a normal person with no issues, thrown into a situation.
#8RayconPosted 2/16/2013 12:33:09 PM
StarGoy posted...
To make a trult sickening Survival Horror game would be beyond what current publishers are willing to support.

But as a genre, it has too many stupid tropes. The games are always visually morbid, with lethargic, almost depressed characters and corny scripts.

Someone should create a horror game that's initially bright, optimistic, and happy (not Loli Chainsaw happy). And have it gradually degrade into madness.

You play normal characters. No convicts, no suicidal parent looking for their kid/wife. No soldiers, veterans. No government agents. Just a normal person with no issues, thrown into a situation.

What about Harry Mason was suicidal? Or lethargic and depressed, for that matter. That man went through hell for his daughter.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#9TomoEK9Posted 2/16/2013 12:38:13 PM
Raycon posted...
StarGoy posted...

What about Harry Mason was suicidal? Or lethargic and depressed, for that matter. That man went through hell for his daughter.

Harry Mason wasn't suicidal but the James Sunderland was and he was looking for his wife.
#10StarGoyPosted 2/16/2013 2:09:55 PM(edited)
Looking for a missing daughter, looking for missing wife. Same thing. Walking around with that gaunt expression and dull colours. It's shouting "This game is a horror game" right from the outset. That's not how it should start out.

Almost every successful horror classic begins on a high, or have some kind of beauty, before descending into horror. Without a descent, the effect is lessened.

I have to say that Resident Evil (1) and the first Silent Hill have partial exceptions for being videogame firsts. And they were lovely games. But the formula is stale.