This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tales of Graces F or Tales of the Abyss, which has a better story?

#1Junpei_StupeiPosted 2/16/2013 6:40:36 PM(edited)
I noticed that Abyss is not as anime-cliched as I was expecting it to be. There are some noticeable ones as you progress, but it doesn't flood you with it right off at the beginning. The game, outside of battle, feels a lot like Eternal Sonata. From the artstyle to the music (probably some members of each team worked on both. They're both Namco-Bandai afterall). As for Graces F, I think it had better music, gameplay, and graphics.

I just saw this review from the "Classic Game Room" that kept comparing the two games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=308UJs69gsY

I think it was unfair because he was biased towards Tales of Graces F, which is a bigger cookie-cutter JRPG in my opinion.

---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.
#2BurnsideGX3Posted 2/16/2013 7:11:36 PM
abyss is just better overall. sure the graphics on graces f is better, but they are two different gen of consoles, but besides that cell shading ages well.
#3RockSauronPosted 2/16/2013 7:18:25 PM(edited)
Tales of the Abyss.

Graces if fun and all, but Abyss is just one of my favorite games ever. Plus I like the whole story they've got going what with Luke and Asch.

Also, Luke's character development... God, I want to play this game again now :/
---
Hi. I rawk.
#4blablablax17Posted 2/16/2013 7:18:05 PM
I played ToA on the 3DS and it was amazing.
---
Stalking the GameFaqs boards since '06.
#5gamemaster712Posted 2/16/2013 7:18:48 PM
RockSauron posted...
Tales of the Abyss.

Graces if fun and all, but Abyss is just one of my favorite games ever. Plus I like the whole story they've got going what with Luke and Asch.

I enjoyed the cast, how you not love Guy and Jade?
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)
#6PHEEliNUXPosted 2/16/2013 7:19:04 PM
Abyss have a better story, Graces f is still better overall
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
#7Guts_LeonheartPosted 2/16/2013 7:20:12 PM
The problem isn't being anime themed, the problem is your understanding of anime comes from bad series. ToGF feels like a poorly written shonen.
#8Shadowbird_RHPosted 2/16/2013 7:20:12 PM
I played through Tales of the Abyss recently on 3DS, and am playing through Tales of Graces f now. I'd definitely say Abyss was the better game. Graces has the advantage of technology and production values, but I feel Abyss had a more powerful and interesting set of events and characters.

Tales of Graces f really could have used someone like Jade or Tenebrae.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#9RockSauronPosted 2/16/2013 7:20:58 PM
Shadowbird_RH posted...
I played through Tales of the Abyss recently on 3DS, and am playing through Tales of Graces f now. I'd definitely say Abyss was the better game. Graces has the advantage of technology and production values, but I feel Abyss had a more powerful and interesting set of events and characters.

Tales of Graces f really could have used someone like Jade or Tenebrae.

Every game could use Jade.
---
Hi. I rawk.
#10ZetgobPosted 2/16/2013 7:23:12 PM
Abyss, if only because of Luke. Some of the best character development I've seen in games period.

Both central plots are fairly predictable messes of anime cliches, but that's sort of a standard in Tales games anyway. The characters have always been Tales strong point in the story department for me, and Abyss's cast is much better overall compared to Graces.