This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Black screen on HDMI - is it my TV? Please help!

#1Ocelot RisingPosted 2/18/2013 4:18:40 PM(edited)
I just bought a second hand PS3 and I've been playing it with the out-of-box composite cable (red, white, yellow). However I understandably felt the need for HD so I bought a HDMI cable.

However it's just blackscreening when I try to run it via HDMI. I have:

Pressed the power button until the two beeps
Changed the setting manually via display settings to HDMI
Only one HDMI port on the TV

In both instances I just get black screen on HDMI. It's definitely detecting something otherwise it would just be the default blue screen, but no picture/sound appears on the screen.

I didn't know if it was the PS3 or the HDMI cable that could be the problem so I tried it on another TV with a HDMI port and it did actually work on that TV.
Does this mean it's probably my TV that is having some sort of problem with HDMI? The TV can definitely support 720p/1080i so I don't know what it could be!

If nobody can think of a solution, is it worth buying a component cable (YPbPr; red, blue and green) to see if that works instead? It's pretty much the same as HDMI isn't it?

Thanks so much for your help, it's really appreciated.
---
kozublue
#2Crimson SkysPosted 2/18/2013 4:07:12 PM
Does your TV have multiple HDMI ports?
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#3NettoSaitoPosted 2/18/2013 4:07:36 PM
Well first of all, make sure you shut it off by holding it down till it beeps, and you turn it back on as you hold it down until it beeps. My friend had the same issue when we set up his PS3, and that's how I got it working for him.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
Netto's Game Room - http://nettosgameroom.blogspot.com/
#4ThaiNoodlesPosted 2/18/2013 4:07:52 PM
Sounds like a bad hdmi port on your tv. Component is better than the composite, but not anywhere near as good as hdmi IMO.
#5_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/18/2013 4:08:21 PM
Crimson Skys posted...

---
Not changing this until Dark Cloud comes to the PS Store.
PSN: MisterDeadeye
#6ThaiNoodlesPosted 2/18/2013 4:08:50 PM
Also I don't understand how you have been playing with composite cables? They are a blurry mess on HD tvs.
#7Ocelot Rising(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 4:14:43 PM
Crimson Skys posted...

Nah, just the one HDMI port unfortunately.

NettoSaito posted...
Well first of all, make sure you shut it off by holding it down till it beeps, and you turn it back on as you hold it down until it beeps. My friend had the same issue when we set up his PS3, and that's how I got it working for him.

Done that. Doesn't work. Strangely it doesn't seem to do anything at all. If I unplug the composite cable and leave just the HDMI in nothing happens. But if I plug back in the composite it works straight away (on the 'FAV' channel). Which sort of gives the impression it's totally oblivious to the HDMI at all. Is that normal?
---
kozublue
#8brycemorrPosted 2/18/2013 4:16:30 PM
Your TV probably has more then 1 HDMI port. Make sure your on the right setting.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#9archizzyPosted 2/18/2013 4:19:19 PM
Mostly likely a stubborn handshake issue. Having both cables plugged in at the same time can screw with the auto detect. I would make sure your tv is on current firmware. I would also try completely unplugging the tv from the wall outlet for about 30 seconds then plug in back in.

Try the auto detect again a few more times with only the HDMI cable plugged in. If all of that fails, try another cable.

Even though the cable will work with other equipment or on another tv it just seems to have a handshake issue with this tv.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#10brycemorrPosted 2/18/2013 4:20:11 PM
Ocelot Rising posted...
Crimson Skys posted...

Nah, just the one HDMI port unfortunately.

NettoSaito posted...

Done that. Doesn't work. Strangely it doesn't seem to do anything at all. If I unplug the composite cable and leave just the HDMI in nothing happens. But if I plug back in the composite it works straight away (on the 'FAV' channel). Which sort of gives the impression it's totally oblivious to the HDMI at all. Is that normal?

Make sure your HDMI slots are clean prior to hookin up. To make stuff up on the screen it takes about a minute of holding to switch over to HDMI.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84