This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a capture device for streaming PS3 gameplay online. Any recs?

#1MagicSordSpellPosted 2/18/2013 6:38:42 PM
Hey guys. I have a lot of fun streaming games on my laptop, and am looking into buying a USB device that would allow me to capture video from my PS3 so I could stream that online. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what product to buy, There are so many factors..

My needs are pretty simple. All I want is something that will put the display for my PS3 games on my computer screen (and play the audio as well). I don't really care if it's also being output to my TV. I also don't care about the capture device's software recording video for me, or doing streaming for me -- I'll run streaming software myself.

It's confusing shopping around because some things don't support live audio monitoring, some things only record, etc. I'd prefer HD video, if possible, but I guess I don't really care that much; I mostly just want to get the video and audio from my PS3 playing in real time on my laptop.

Right now I'm looking at the Roxio Game Capture HD (http://www.amazon.com/Roxio-Game-Capture-HD-PRO/dp/B008YTAGGW) . My only concern is that it seems like it's going to want to do all the streaming itself; I think I'd rather take care of that using software I already have, but that's no big deal. 100 dollars is kind of a lot though, so if there's a good cheaper alternative I might go with that.

I heard that EasyCAP makes some decent affortable capture devices, but most of those seem to be very low video quality (just the yellow composite cable + one audio channel).

Does anyone have experience/knowledge in this area? I'd really appreciate some pointers.
#2_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/18/2013 6:42:49 PM
In my experience, Roxio is crap. However, that was in 2008, so surely they've gotten better. And Roxio is on the lower end of HD game capturing. Other choices are from Haupaugge(I hope I spelled that correctly), Elgato, uhh. I know there's more, but I haven't spent much time researching this stuff.
---
Not changing this until Dark Cloud comes to the PS Store.
PSN: MisterDeadeye
#3steker16Posted 2/18/2013 7:04:25 PM
hauppague.

also i dont see why you "dont care if it also gets output to TV"...how else would you play the damn game? you do realzie there is a few second delay between what happens in game, and when it shows up through the capture software dont you? you cant just hook it up and play it through your PC monitor..you need 2 displays, one to play on and one to capture the video to
---
nomnomnom
#4MagicSordSpell(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 7:22:37 PM
steker16 posted...
hauppague.

also i dont see why you "dont care if it also gets output to TV"...how else would you play the damn game? you do realzie there is a few second delay between what happens in game, and when it shows up through the capture software dont you? you cant just hook it up and play it through your PC monitor..you need 2 displays, one to play on and one to capture the video to

Thanks, I guess I'll look for one of their products. I was hoping that the delay wouldn't be that significant. I had a capture graphics card in the past, and I played games on that without using another display. However, I guess maybe there's less delay if it's a built in capture graphics card, rather than one connected through USB? I do have USB3.0 on my computer, though, so maybe I can find one that supports that. But, yeah, I have no problem running the display to the TV as well. Whatever works! :P
#5steker16Posted 2/18/2013 7:57:56 PM(edited)
well the hauppague PvR 2 really is the way to go. comes with everything you need and you can easily use xsplit to broadcast, i do it a lot. if you set xsplit up to use "capturemodule" instead of "screen region"(when settings your scene source), while also unchecking "show mouse"(right click the source) you can have it broadcast the game screen at all times, even if its minimized, allowing you to still your PC normally at the same time
---
nomnomnom