This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does PS3 have a lifetime warranty?

#1ClausudoPosted 2/19/2013 7:01:20 PM
/topic
---
I will be FFXIV player very soon! Let us shall make good memories!!! :]
#2ElDudorinoPosted 2/19/2013 7:03:25 PM
No. It has a one-year warranty which you can pay to extend. That's why everybody who bought the launch models were SOL when their systems inevitably died from a design flaw, and we all had to buy Slims (or stop playing PS3).
#3SDFan18Posted 2/19/2013 7:03:28 PM
No, standard one year unless you buy an extra one.
---
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
PSN ID: BBFaNaTiC86
#4HoosierGuy88Posted 2/19/2013 7:08:46 PM
I've never had a problem with my launch model and I play it way more than I play my 360.
#5BurgerTime79Posted 2/19/2013 7:10:19 PM
It's a piece of electronics. What electronics have lifetime warranties?
It's not like it was made by L.L.Bean.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#6tsizzle420Posted 2/19/2013 7:11:08 PM
The older ps3s always seem more reliable to me. The blu ray drives in the slim models are trash.
#7Seifer_usPosted 2/19/2013 7:12:04 PM
HoosierGuy88 posted...
I've never had a problem with my launch model and I play it way more than I play my 360.

That's similar to what I was saying a couple days ago too. *points to his topic on this page*
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#8ShineboxerPosted 2/19/2013 7:12:17 PM
Why is this psychology common here?
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#9ElDudorinoPosted 2/19/2013 8:36:11 PM
The older ps3s always seem more reliable to me. The blu ray drives in the slim models are trash.

The older PS3s have a known design flaw which dooms them to eventual failure. I don't know what the failure rate on the launch models is now but I would expect it's near or even above half at this point.

My understanding of the issue is this: Their lead-free solder required better cooling than what the system has to offer. Although it seems to be adequate at first, it degrades over time due to a combination of poor-quality thermal paste, horrid quality control on heat sink surfaces, and inadequate pressure on the heat sinks themselves. This causes the contact points on the BGAs under the CPU and GPU (or just the GPU according to some) to eventually break as the solder melts and hardens repeatedly and then loses its integrity. You can then temporarily revive the system by reflowing the BGAs with a heat gun or even in your oven, but it won't last permanently (regardless of whether you add flux). The typical survival time of a reflowed PS3 is anywhere from a few hours to a few months, with the average appearing to be two or three weeks. You can only reflow a system a few times before it'll eventually die for good, since it isn't really a great idea to focus that much heat on it (even if you're careful not to target the capacitors on the side of the motherboard and so forth).

tl;dr: There is nothing reliable about the launch PS3s. If not for the original Xbox 360 holding the title now and forever, the launch PS3 would probably be the least-reliable piece of home electronics ever.
#10ElDudorinoPosted 2/19/2013 8:38:42 PM
Seifer_us: When I saw the topic about your PS3 dying, I was like "WOW, it was going this long??" It is tragic, though. I remember just feeling a bit numb about it when my 60gig died so long ago, since I was prepared for it to happen eventually. It was pretty sad though when I had to bring home a slim with no BC and only two USB ports (one of which doesn't work perfectly).