This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rumor: PS4 to require premium subscription for 'most' online features

#21FearPotionPosted 2/20/2013 1:41:30 AM
LuminescentRule posted...
So, what's the problem? The PS3 requires premium subscription for 'most' online features.

This.

People forget to read the word "most". Most =/= all.

I'll willing to bet what's left out is that you don't need a premium subscription to just play online.
#22Lord_ShadoPosted 2/20/2013 1:47:31 AM
FearPotion posted...
So, what's the problem? The PS3 requires premium subscription for 'most' online features.

This.

I'll willing to bet what's left out is that you don't need a premium subscription to just play online.

"Most" implies a majority. Last I remember, PS+ gives you exclusive game trials and demos, etc... the majority of store content is available for all users. Compare this to XBL, where simply playing online with friends requires a paid subscription.
#23TheDon1981Posted 2/20/2013 1:49:43 AM
If it happens, It will definitely delay/cancel next gen for me.
Paying for online is stupid.
---
LBP2 levels:
Paper Scissors Rock Championship - Mortal Kombat 9 - Ultimate Deathmatch
#24TheDon1981Posted 2/20/2013 1:53:00 AM
Lord_Shado posted...

"Most" implies a majority. Last I remember, PS+ gives you exclusive game trials and demos, etc... the majority of store content is available for all users. Compare this to XBL, where simply playing online with friends requires a paid subscription.

I am hoping for this.
Perhaps the new Ps+(world) will allow cloud gaming, apps and discounts. I'd be fine with that.
---
LBP2 levels:
Paper Scissors Rock Championship - Mortal Kombat 9 - Ultimate Deathmatch
#25LuminescentRulePosted 2/20/2013 1:54:44 AM
FearPotion posted...

This.

The majority of PSN features are exclusive to PS+. Things like:

Instant game collection
PS Store Discounts
Exclusive offers on select demos, betas and early purchases
Full Game Trial
Automatic Downloads
Cloud saving
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
http://i.minus.com/ibysvI4MthYwm9.gif
#26Pokemon_r_hotPosted 2/20/2013 2:00:56 AM
FearPotion posted...

This.

The majority of PSN features are exclusive to PS+. Things like:

Instant game collection
PS Store Discounts
Exclusive offers on select demos, betas and early purchases
Full Game Trial
Automatic Downloads
Cloud saving

Uh, not sure if you realize this, but you said majority and only listed 6 things. I can list 6 things off the top of my head available to normal users:

Online play via PSN
Netflix streaming
Full game purchases
Demos
Friend List
Messaging system

Yeah it's all basic stuff, but that's the point: the unpaid service includes a TON of things people tend to overlook when considering PS+.
#27Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/20/2013 2:01:58 AM
Didn't Sony spend millions on... what was it... Gekkai? They'll have to claw that money back somehow.

Perhaps they want to have a go at cloud gaming. We don't yet have the tessaract cabling required to, you know, not have any form of latency but good luck to them.

Oh, also, I believe they'll make you pay to play online. They've learned that their fans can justify anything, and they've learned that others can get away with it as well. The only reason they didn't add subscriptions to PS3 is because the uproar would have killed the idea.

New Generation, new rules.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#28LuminescentRulePosted 2/20/2013 2:09:13 AM
Uh, not sure if you realize this, but you said majority and only listed 6 things. I can list 6 things off the top of my head available to normal users:

Online play via PSN
Netflix streaming
Full game purchases
Demos
Friend List
Messaging system

Yeah it's all basic stuff, but that's the point: the unpaid service includes a TON of things people tend to overlook when considering PS+.

Wow, wow, wow. Are you suggesting that game purchases is a feature and that's something that Sony can require you have a subscription to access? Sorry dude but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

And Friend List and messaging system are tied to PS3 and Vita as well and they're both free there. So, they'll make you pay for that on the PS4 when you can access both on the other systems. Same thing for netflix streaming, they offer that for free on PSN already - both on Vita and PS3.
---
#29LuminescentRulePosted 2/20/2013 2:09:34 AM
Didn't Sony spend millions on... what was it... Gekkai? They'll have to claw that money back somehow.

Perhaps they want to have a go at cloud gaming. We don't yet have the tessaract cabling required to, you know, not have any form of latency but good luck to them.

Oh, also, I believe they'll make you pay to play online. They've learned that their fans can justify anything, and they've learned that others can get away with it as well. The only reason they didn't add subscriptions to PS3 is because the uproar would have killed the idea.

New Generation, new rules.

What do you think PS+ is there for?
---
#30RisingWaterPosted 2/20/2013 2:16:45 AM
If I was conspiracy theorist I would say that PS+ was designed to soften the "pay for PS4 online" blow.