This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final fantasy 8 or 9?

#1zamudio009Posted 2/20/2013 8:51:24 AM
I want to buy one, but which is the better game? I've completed 7, beat the weapons, I've completed 4, currently playing through 5. I've heard good things about both, but which one is better.
---
PSN-Zamudio09
The earth was blue but there was no god.
#2BearpowersPosted 2/20/2013 8:52:54 AM
8 has better story, atmosphere, and delectably a better combat system.

FF9 has a feeling more akin to FF7 but lacks the class system that gave those games a good deal of their charm.

8 also has the best music out of any FF game.
#3Retrogamer79Posted 2/20/2013 8:53:11 AM
IMHO 8>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>9
---
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.
#4art_of_the_killPosted 2/20/2013 8:54:36 AM
9 is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#5KOTRsssPosted 2/20/2013 8:58:15 AM
They are very different. FFVIII's plot is more or less a train wreck, but it doesnt stop the game from being an enjoyable experience. The characters also tend to lack depth and common sense, but if that doesnt bother you, you'll still enjoy them.

FFIX, by contrast, has extremely good character development and a much more cohesive plot and setting. Unfortunately, it really loses direction about halfway through and never quite recovers. That being said, it is still an incredibly charming game.

They're just so different from one another. I'd say go for FFVIII if you're a fan of "it's fantasy, so anything can happen" type stories, and you like cheesy romances. Otherwise go with FFIX.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#6docholliday504Posted 2/20/2013 8:58:39 AM
Bearpowers posted...

FF9 has a feeling more akin to FF7 but lacks the class system that gave those games a good deal of their charm.

??? 9 has defined classes for every character. That was largely the appeal for traditional FF fans (especially fans of FFIV)

Agree 8 has a better story (Despite the cappy antagonist) but I think 9 is the better game.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Halo 4, Resident Evil 6, Persona 3
#7nihilist212Posted 2/20/2013 8:59:09 AM
Go with 9. 8 sucks.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#8Willie_MakeitPosted 2/20/2013 9:00:51 AM
If you want combat, go with 8. If you want story, go with 9. FF8's story was a horrible confusing mess. I got to the 2nd disc and quit. I wouldn't recommend it tbh.
---
Sig.
#9BearpowersPosted 2/20/2013 9:00:53 AM
docholliday504 posted...
Bearpowers posted...

??? 9 has defined classes for every character. That was largely the appeal for traditional FF fans (especially fans of FFIV)

Agree 8 has a better story (Despite the cappy antagonist) but I think 9 is the better game.

Defineable classes are charmless.

Changeable classes are what people need.
#10BearpowersPosted 2/20/2013 9:02:53 AM
docholliday504 posted...
Bearpowers posted...

Also Squall is not a bad protagonist.

Junctioning Guardian Forces and past trauma have messed with his mind, as he progresses through the story he matures into a fine leader throwing away his reclusive nature and blooming into a better person.

It is one of the best examples of character progression in Final Fantasy.

Also his father Laguna was probably my favorite FF "MC" of all time.