This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If a Japanese company made a completely generic looking western style rpg

#1Fez_WatleyPosted 2/20/2013 2:41:38 PM
Like, didn't look jrpgy at all, would it be called a wrpg, or jrpg?

Actually, what is Dragon's Dogma considered?
#2SigmaHacielPosted 2/20/2013 2:42:06 PM
Fez_Watley posted...
Like, didn't look jrpgy at all, would it be called a wrpg, or jrpg?

Actually, what is Dragon's Dogma considered?

Crap?
#3KOTRsssPosted 2/20/2013 2:43:55 PM
You mean like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls?

It depends on who you ask, but as WRPG and JRPG are genres, it makes more sense to label the game according to its gameplay style. Thus, it makes a whole lot more sense to call Dark Souls a WRPG.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#4Ampharos64Posted 2/20/2013 2:44:26 PM
There would be endless, endless arguments about what to call it. Of the two, I'd go with WRPG, myself, the terms are more about the style than the country of origin. Dragon's Dogma isn't what is generally meant by JRPG.

Maybe it'd be easier just to call it a RPG?
#5kupo1705Posted 2/20/2013 2:45:16 PM
DD is a JRPG which is a ARPG.
#6BubbleGumCrisisPosted 2/20/2013 2:46:05 PM
It'd still be a JRPG.

By the way WRPGs and JRPGs are as much genres as books and TV shows.
---
Dane Cook, Larry the Cable Guy, and Carlos Mencia are the unholy trinity of mediocre comedians making America severely not funny. - Some guy.
#7True_FoeHammerPosted 2/20/2013 2:46:46 PM
Ampharos64 posted...
There would be endless, endless arguments about what to call it. Of the two, I'd go with WRPG, myself, the terms are more about the style than the country of origin. Dragon's Dogma isn't what is generally meant by JRPG.

RPG isn't specific enough. Take the Elder Scrolls and Lunar series. Both are RPGs, but just about the only thing in common they have is that both use stats to determine player power and such.
#8kupo1705Posted 2/20/2013 2:48:39 PM
True_FoeHammer posted...
Ampharos64 posted...

RPG isn't specific enough. Take the Elder Scrolls and Lunar series. Both are RPGs, but just about the only thing in common they have is that both use stats to determine player power and such.

That's what subgenres are for.
#9DuneManPosted 2/20/2013 2:52:39 PM
It depends on who you ask. Some see it as 'made by Japanese developers = instant JRPG'. Others see it as more of a stylistic thing.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao