This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony Releases Complete PS4 Specifications

#41morphinapgPosted 2/21/2013 1:33:40 AM
For the RAM, remember that the 8GB is shared across the CPU and GPU, and is also used by the OS. I would assume most games would likely use around 2 GB RAM for the GPU, and I'd bet the OS reserves at least 1 GB, possibly 2 GB. They may even reserve more in case of future OS features. This leaves up to 4 GB RAM for the game itself. While still more than most games need right now, it isn't unnecessarily high. It will easily be used up before the generation is over. The GDDR5 however, is really going to be a great improvement over other technologies.
#42EvilTrashPosted 2/21/2013 6:13:29 AM
call of duty posted...
Yeah, 2/3rd the power of your current 3 year old PC that cost over $2,000 when you bought it. Technology like that should take about 3 years to come down to the price range of a home console.

Are you still stuck in the stone age? Have you not bothered to read anything? I thought it's been widely dispelled that gaming PCs cost more than $2,000. But alas, I guess the ignorant will always be around. Need someone to flip burgers anyway....

Wow no need to make this so personal, man. Telling me that I should only be flipping burgers for a living because I made a comment that someone's PC that is more powerful than the PS4 is purported to be, purchased back in early 2010 or late 2009, would have cost $2,000+ at that time? It seems you're the ignorant one, here.

You do realize he said his computer is 3 YEARS OLD right? You do realize he said it is more powerful than the tech inside the PS4 right? If it's really that old and it really is more powerful than the specs in the PS3, than he must have bought an i7 and probably an HD 58 70 or perhaps dual 5850s or the equivalent on the nVidia side of things, and 8 GB of RAM, all 3 years ago when this technology was still pretty new... yeah, I speak from experience when I tell you that he paid $2,000 dollars for this 3-year old PC that is more powerful than the PS4.

When did I EVER imply that you can't buy a gaming PC today for less than $2,000? You need your reading comprehension checked, friend. I in no way perpetuated that myth. I merely stated, and I defy you to prove me wrong, that a PC from over 3 years ago that is more powerful than what will be in the PS4 WOULD HAVE cost $2,000 at that time. Or are YOU the ignorant one who doesn't realize that, while by no means all gaming PCs cost $2,000, it is indeed possible to build ones that cost two or three thousand dollars if you want the most powerful. By all standards of 3 years ago, he must have wanted the most power, thus he would have spent a ton of money.
#43AlltraPosted 2/21/2013 6:19:05 AM
Honestly, none of that means anything to me. It's all techno garble that is as meaningless as baby speak.
---
I kill because I'm weak. Too weak to incapacitate an aggressor without killing them. Killing is easy. Not having to fight is hard.
#44RollingCradlePosted 2/21/2013 6:22:42 AM
The games sure did look like ass though.

Those specs must be a misprint.
#45KOTRwhoopsPosted 2/21/2013 6:25:28 AM
Alltra posted...
Honestly, none of that means anything to me. It's all techno garble that is as meaningless as baby speak.

Exactly, who cares about the specs. Judge it on the games.
---
PLAYING - Minecraft (360), DmC (PC), ZombiU (WU), Ni No Kuni (PS3)
MOST WANTED - THE PLAYSTATION 4, FFvsXIII, GTAV, Lightning Returns
#46Devilman_AmonPosted 2/21/2013 6:26:12 AM
KOTRwhoops posted...
Alltra posted...

Exactly, who cares about the specs. Judge it on the games.

And where are the games because I didnt see any worthy titles..

Diablo III? lol
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#47pAceyzPosted 2/21/2013 6:28:02 AM
It's just jargon to me.
#48AlltraPosted 2/21/2013 6:30:40 AM
"And where are the games because I didnt see any worthy titles..

Diablo III? lol"

Exactly.

...and no I'm not saying Diablo 3 is exciting, in case that wasn't clear.
---
I kill because I'm weak. Too weak to incapacitate an aggressor without killing them. Killing is easy. Not having to fight is hard.
#49YamagishiDPosted 2/21/2013 6:35:48 AM
People. Why must you do this for every console. The graphics always get better as the system has been out longer. Is that really so hard to understand?
#50USFPosted 2/21/2013 6:40:31 AM
YamagishiD posted...
People. Why must you do this for every console. The graphics always get better as the system has been out longer. Is that really so hard to understand?

Most of them must have started gaming this gen with the PS3/360, or even worse the Wii.
---
Because the door was open. Blue skies.
Currently Playing: Ni No Kuni, DoTa 2, LoL, Anno 2070, Xcom: Enemy Unknown.