This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Reason people shifted from JRPGs to Western RPGs. It isn't stupidity.

#1Zora_PrincePosted 2/20/2013 11:15:41 PM
This board has two huge groups of horrible people:

Japanese video game lovers who think Western games are all dumbed down and view anybody who enjoys a shooter, no matter how different they are, as stupid (Hence the ignorant Pew! Pew! post from some of those less intelligent.

And Western video game fans who view the West as best at everything and think Japanese games are nothing but loli dated crap and the developers can't get with the times.

Both groups think they're victims on this board and neither acknowledges that their own side has problems.

Today, with the PS4 announcement, I've been seeing a tad too much complaining about the lack of JRPGs and how "People are so stupid! They don't appreciate a good story and characters anymore! They only like "PEW! PEW!" games!!!"

This is basically completely false. Gamers still love a good RPG and a story. However, something that has been a problem, and that is a problem worse than ever this gen, is their constriction. Today's video games have allowed you more freedom than ever: In Fallout 3, I've only just started to get bored after putting in 150 hours and barely any of it was spent on the story. I've spent most of that time helping or hurting different groups of people, learning about the world and the people, exploring the Capital Wasteland, going on loot runs, decorating my house, and so much more than I'm amazed that they can fit into one game. In Dues Ex: Human Revolution, the dialog and story are very involving and dynamic. You truly have multiple ways to solve each problem and are rewarded for many of them.

This is simply what people prefer, as shown by the increase in massive open world games:'

Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3/NV
Elder Scrolls
Red Dead Redemption
GTAIV/V
Saint's Row
Just Cause 2
Sleeping Dogs

By comparison today, JRPGs are too constricted and haven't changed significantly from last gen. In fact, they're worse, with Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 being the worst offenders of them all, having only a fraction of the exploration from past Final Fantasies, let alone WRPGs. The stories aren't strong enough to make up for what they're lacking.

Look at this current gen RPG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6jfz9rhZpY
Outside of the graphics, this could have been a PS1 game.

Western RPGs have evolved and expanded. They took what was strong about their predecessors and improved them. I feel like many JRPGs, story and gameplay-wise, have not made this leap.

What do you think?
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#2Stanger5150Posted 2/20/2013 11:22:09 PM
I forgot the red carpet... nobody told me an expert on all individual gamers was stopping by!
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#3mmpepsiPosted 2/20/2013 11:23:03 PM
Yes it is.

The worst JRPG is better than the best WRPG.
#4Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 11:24:56 PM
mmpepsi posted...
Yes it is.

Too trollish for me to even bother.
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#5mmpepsiPosted 2/20/2013 11:27:17 PM
Zora_Prince posted...
mmpepsi posted...
Yes it is.

You can't argue with the truth. All WRPG's are is some genre they took, made it suck, added rpg elements and that's all.

Look at Fallout 3. Took an FPS, made the shooting awful, threw in RPG elements. Garbage game.
#6Stanger5150Posted 2/20/2013 11:29:41 PM
Zora_Prince posted...
mmpepsi posted...
Yes it is.

You trolled first by calling two types of gamers "horrible people", because they feel differently than you do.

You are not stating facts. You are stating opinions from your high horse, and presenting them as universal truth.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#7The_Zora_KingPosted 2/20/2013 11:32:03 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
Zora_Prince posted...
mmpepsi posted...
Yes it is.

You trolled first by calling two types of gamers "horrible people", because they feel differently than you do.

You are not stating facts. You are stating opinions from your high horse, and presenting them as universal truth.

I'm not calling somebody who only prefers one of them horrible people. I'm only referring to the immature fanboys who will defend one and only one region and make this board as bad as it is.
---
Favorite Game of the Year thus far: Silent Hill: Downpour 8/10
A true throwback to classic survival horror
#8Lunitik MuzikPosted 2/20/2013 11:34:47 PM(edited)
Zora_Prince posted...
mmpepsi posted...
Yes it is.

But he's correct, fanboys are horrible.
#9TheGaijinPosted 2/20/2013 11:33:14 PM
The PS3 gen was definitely not a great one for JRPG but let's wait and see next gen, shall we?
---
Final Fantasy XIV - Larek Darkholme @ Masamune
#10thisranksPosted 2/20/2013 11:35:09 PM
That's funny. I simply move from the last RPG i beat to the next one unless it has multiple endings. Region never had anything to do with the actual playing of those games. It's how you yourself personally perceive them.

Feel free to be ignorant enough to make a topic and add me in as one of those "people" though. Oh, wait...

I swear, the regionally challenged could give the far left and right wing political whackos a run for their money. Fortunately for me this is the only contribution you will get.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW