This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Reason people shifted from JRPGs to Western RPGs. It isn't stupidity.

#101boofiePosted 2/21/2013 6:09:45 PM
NineteenthCross posted...
Mass Effect is no exemption either. "Shepard, you have to either be a mustache twirling jerk(ME1) or a stereotypical jrpg paladin who MUST DO WHAT EVER IS RIGHT FOR THE UNIVERSE USING THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP * BECAUSE THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP WILL PREVENT THE NORMADY'S BULKHEAD FROM RUPTURING EVEN IF YOU MAX IT OUT TO PREVENT IT * (ME2) or GREEEEEEEEN (ME3)"

I had a lolz.
#102kupo1705Posted 2/21/2013 6:11:05 PM
NineteenthCross posted...
*text*

I know both have their good and bad side. I personally dislike the use of J/WRPG for anything other than indicating their origin.

The difference is that the dialogue in the worst WRPGs is just bad. The dialogue in the worst JRPGs is cringeworthy and can make me avoid a game completely.
#103SolKarellenPosted 2/21/2013 6:16:17 PM
*Looks at his copy of Tales of Vesperia next to Modern Warfare 2, which is next to Fallout 3.*

Huh.
---
"There'd come a time when life'd pull us apart. S'not a reason to avoid people."
#104NineteenthCrossPosted 2/21/2013 6:21:10 PM
kupo1705 posted...
The dialogue in the worst JRPGs is cringeworthy and can make me avoid a game completely.

Why am I having Chaos Wars flashbacks?
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs. Stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you can't hear other people's opinions and call them trolls.
http://nineteenth.wordpress.com/
#105tigerex777Posted 2/21/2013 6:32:34 PM
I grew up with JRPGS but I only hate Bethesda games. I love Dragon Age, most of bioware rpgs, The Witcher series, Mass Effect and so on. But if the game resembles something from Bethesda or kind looks like an MMO than I don't like it.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#106DragoonGriffithPosted 2/21/2013 6:56:14 PM(edited)
kupo1705 posted...

Because one is clearly superior?
Or do you enjoy poorly written cliche filled crap starring an androgynous teen?

I'm not saying they should be exactly like western games, but have you read the dialogue of some recent JRPGs?

You can make just as much cliche-filled assumptions about WRPGs, not to mention that the dialogue sucks just as much in general nowadays.

It's your problem alone if you only play FF (and let's get real, you really don't have any idea about JRPGs outside of SE's things).

There's Trails in the Sky for example. That's well written and a JRPG.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ugfYWuG.gif
#107majin nemesisPosted 2/21/2013 7:29:30 PM
the only reason people shifted was because they din't like FFXIII and aren't willing to try other JRPGs because they think FF is the best JRPGs series so all the others must suck which is completely wrong other JRPGs series and games can be as good or better then any FF like for example Tales of Graces F is one of the best JRPGs i ever played

And TC open world games get boring fast,what the point of going around collecting things if there's no point,that's actually what made me dislike FFXII it had a little to much freedom at the beginning, to much roaming around and the story points were to far from each other to care about it so i ended up not completing the game
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#108kupo1705Posted 2/21/2013 7:30:31 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Because one is clearly superior?
Or do you enjoy poorly written cliche filled crap starring an androgynous teen?

I'm not saying they should be exactly like western games, but have you read the dialogue of some recent JRPGs?

You can make just as much cliche-filled assumptions about WRPGs, not to mention that the dialogue sucks just as much in general nowadays.

It's your problem alone if you only play FF (and let's get real, you really don't have any idea about JRPGs outside of SE's things).

There's Trails in the Sky for example. That's well written and a JRPG.

Assuming I only play FF isn't going to change the fact most JRPGs have horrible dialogue.
#109blankempathyPosted 2/21/2013 7:38:31 PM
majin nemesis posted...
the only reason people shifted was because they din't like FFXIII and aren't willing to try other JRPGs because they think FF is the best JRPGs series so all the others must suck which is completely wrong other JRPGs series and games can be as good or better then any FF like for example Tales of Graces F is one of the best JRPGs i ever played

And TC open world games get boring fast,what the point of going around collecting things if there's no point,that's actually what made me dislike FFXII it had a little to much freedom at the beginning, to much roaming around and the story points were to far from each other to care about it so i ended up not completing the game

I really wanted to like Tales of Graces F. I did enjoy its combat system but I couldn't get into the story or the characters at all. They're incredibly cliche and the dialogue is just so cringe worthy at times. I find the whole bond they have with Richard just so shallow. They were friends for what? A few days? Yet they somehow formed this unbreakable bond. Any grown up knows that that forming some unbreakable bond as a kid in a few days is just so unrealistic. People come and go and they change over time. This is pretty much the same reason I kinda dislike Final Fantasy 8. Squall in general is pretty cold at first yet all these people want to be his friend for some reason? Ooh hes cold and mysterious lets all try to be this guys friend!. Ugh I can't stand that.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#110LvthnPosted 2/21/2013 7:50:35 PM
I played JRPGs on old school systems for the longest but I have to admit, modern JRPG tropes are pretty terrible. There's only so many times I can play a metrosexual 15 year old boy wearing over 50 belts and huge spiked hair who fights alongside his spunky, big-breasted, barely-legal love interest who fights in torn clothing, dragging along an insufferably cute 9 year old battle loli and a covert furry mascot, on a quest to save the world from an apocalypse caused by some unsealed evil in a can, and along the way recruiting the help of a guy who more or less fits the description of the male lead except "dark" (and either using a huge sword or a gun or both), along the way discovering the value of friendship.