This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Reason people shifted from JRPGs to Western RPGs. It isn't stupidity.

#81NineteenthCrossPosted 2/21/2013 5:35:06 PM
digidevilwil posted...

It's a terrible and unrelatable unrealistic representation of friendship, and just flat out boring to experience. It's the one Tales game I simply could not finish. Tales stories have never been mind blowing, but Graces is just unacceptable on so many levels.

It's called fantasy. If people wanted realistic friendships they'd get real friends.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs. Stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you can't hear other people's opinions and call them trolls.
http://nineteenth.wordpress.com/
#82Bayonetta_Posted 2/21/2013 5:38:00 PM
digidevilwil posted...
Ampharos64 posted...
The_Zora_King posted...
However, not only is the leap in experience from gens not as big as, say, shooters or adventure games, they feel worse. The world in FFXIII is lifeless and dull. The storytelling and characters are bland and boring. I feel embarrassed playing games like FFXIII and FFXIII-2 in front of people. Meanwhile, most of the art direction is anime-style rather than, say, FFXII (Best in the series, in my opinion).

Well, I like anime style myself, think many do. So again it comes down to preference. If you look at a game like Tales of Graces, you definitely couldn't say the characters were bland or boring. So, it isn't fair to judge the genre by FFXIII (which I still like but agree is flawed). Tbh, the fact that you feel embarrassed does make it sound like you have issues with the genre. I showed my nearly 60 year old, Skyrim-obsessed dad FFXIII-2 - and (somewhat to my own surprise) he liked it and is playing it. People may not respond the way you might think, and if they do, that's not something you need let bother you.

I hope you lost your mind because Graces cast is painfully dull and stereotyped to the max.

I must protect my friends >_<

Protect -_-

PROTECT! O_O
#83kupo1705Posted 2/21/2013 5:38:36 PM
Most JRPGs these days are otaku pandaring garbage, that has nothing to do with open worlds.
#84PhaseSlaethePosted 2/21/2013 5:43:03 PM
kupo1705 posted...
Some JRPGs these days are otaku pandaring garbage, that has nothing to do with open worlds.

Fixed.
#85kupo1705Posted 2/21/2013 5:45:54 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kupo1705 posted...
Some JRPGs these days are otaku pandaring garbage, that has nothing to do with open worlds.

Fixed.

Most.
Even Final Fantasy took that route with FFXIII.
#86The_Zora_KingPosted 2/21/2013 5:47:00 PM
NineteenthCross posted...
digidevilwil posted...

It's a terrible and unrelatable unrealistic representation of friendship, and just flat out boring to experience. It's the one Tales game I simply could not finish. Tales stories have never been mind blowing, but Graces is just unacceptable on so many levels.

It's called fantasy. If people wanted realistic friendships they'd get real friends.

While fiction takes liberties with relationships, please still expect a degree of realism when it comes to these fictional stories. A lot of people complained about FFVIII's love story (which I enjoyed, personally, but most didn't) because they found it completely unrealistic. Should it be given a pass due to it being in a fictional universe? If video game stories want to develop, it shouldn't.
---
Last Film Watched: A Serbian Film
My Thoughts: I actually enjoyed it >_> That wasn't so bad.
#87PhaseSlaethePosted 2/21/2013 5:47:49 PM
kupo1705 posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Fixed.

Some.

Fixed again.

Also, why should "J"RPG bend to Westerners when Westerners don't do the same?

Mmm, the sound of your argument tearing like a hymen.
#88RabillionPosted 2/21/2013 5:48:22 PM
I've been spoiled by WRPGs that allow you to save anywhere you want in the world. I remember back in the PSone days with JPGs where save points were far and few in between and dying in battle meant redoing maybe an hour or two's worth of progress.
#89PhaseSlaethePosted 2/21/2013 5:49:10 PM
The_Zora_King posted...
NineteenthCross posted...
digidevilwil posted...

While fiction takes liberties with relationships, please still expect a degree of realism when it comes to these fictional stories. A lot of people complained about FFVIII's love story (which I enjoyed, personally, but most didn't) because they found it completely unrealistic. Should it be given a pass due to it being in a fictional universe? If video game stories want to develop, it shouldn't.

The love story was unrealistic because it was garbage to begin with. Nobody would find the brick wall that was Squall attractive.
#90kupo1705Posted 2/21/2013 5:52:56 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kupo1705 posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Fixed.

Some.

Fixed again.

Also, why should "J"RPG bend to Westerners when Westerners don't do the same?

Mmm, the sound of your argument tearing like a hymen.

Because one is clearly superior?
Or do you enjoy poorly written cliche filled crap starring an androgynous teen?

I'm not saying they should be exactly like western games, but have you read the dialogue of some recent JRPGs?