This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate on FFXIII but love FFX when...

#251LatchKeyKidPosted 2/21/2013 9:33:53 PM
X and XIII are so similar it just comes down to which setting and characters you like. Personally, I never could stand X's, and let's not begin on X2's, characters. To me XIII's heroes are far less annoying and I felt XIII-2 was a big improvement in the stuff to do category. I would've been happy if they kept on making them like XI and XII, because while XII's story was pretty weak, the gameplay and world were a shot in the arm the series needed. They'll never top the SNES ones in my mind.
---
FFXI Lakshmi Server: Walsh
#252KOTRsssPosted 2/21/2013 9:55:53 PM
Because FFX didnt have hallway level design, it was just linear, and it wasnt even as linear as FFXIII. You didnt have to wait until you were 60% of the way through the game before you could choose who to put in your party, and leveling up wasnt completely on rails like it was in FFXIII.

Oh, and the writing wasnt a *complete* insult to the intellect of the player.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#253Bancario51Posted 2/21/2013 10:42:12 PM
hypocrisy and ignorance.
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#254KOTRsssPosted 2/22/2013 5:30:05 AM
Bancario51 posted...
hypocrisy and ignorance.

irony and irony
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#255SquareSidePosted 2/22/2013 5:50:26 AM
Juvart24 posted...
10 sucked but it was less suck then XIII

---
PSN XBL n'' - SquareSide
True 3DS Ambassador. Not a scrub who came in late and saved a buck.
#256AmyUnleashedPosted 2/22/2013 6:09:26 AM
For me I much preferd FFX the comat system was much more enjoyable and fun to play, even though it was linear the game still had interactions with UNPC's and towns/city's that you could explore and go back to. There are special weapons & overdrive's for you're characters to obtain, the monster catching and batteling, Dark Aeons to fight, optional & secret area's to explore & Aeon's to obtain. The story (to me anyway) was brilliant and I liked all of the playable characters and many off the side characters like Seymour.

I am shocked TC you said not to mention blitzball as it is one of the features that is 50/50 with fans. But I myself found it very enjoyable going on recruiting new players & playing Blitzball.
I even had a few saves just for Blitzball playing.

FF13 was not terrible to me, it just was not good. I like the main characters for the most part including Serah (who I was happy to see playable in FF13-2) but everyone else in the game except for Snow's Crew & Sazh's son did not make much off a impact on me or were very memorable. The gameplay although something new (and improved in FF13-2) was not as enjoyable as other FF games also the leader dies meaning game over was a stupid decision, another thing I did not like was you could only level up the Crystalism so far It said nope wait until the next chapter. The story was also all over the place, generally not a good one and also bored me many times I have said before I fell asleep playing this game...
#257donkeyjackPosted 2/22/2013 10:31:41 AM
Oh, and the writing wasnt a *complete* insult to the intellect of the player.

LMAO
#258pixel378Posted 2/22/2013 11:21:30 AM
I like FFX, its better in every way. The characters are way better.

FFx had towns and felt more like a unified world and I could go where I wanted to. FF13 was linear and you could not go back. Linear and RPG don't mix and make it suck hard.

FF13 sucks hard.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#259Castiel39Posted 2/22/2013 2:49:31 PM
Final Fantasy X has:
1. A good storyline and a better cast of characters (i only really like Snow and Vanille)
2. The battle system was much better (you could change party members, weapons, and armors while in battle, it was the classic turn-based system with some nice aditions...)
3. The game is almost as linear yes, but at least there were places where you could take a break from the battles for a while, you could relax talking to NPCs, search for items, play bliztball etc...
4. Near the end of the game you have the chance to revisit areas for doing a lot of side stuff that weren't just extra battles with the same enemies you fought before and/or with higher stats.
#260UnderratedGamerPosted 2/24/2013 11:24:09 PM
Terotrous posted...
Sure, KotR is a gamebreaker, but so are the Economizer and Offering in FF6, and there's nothing even comparably difficult in FF6 to fight. The only reason the battle arena is hard is because you can't control your characters and they often do stupid things.

Economizer is only good when you actually teach all the strong magic to characters. Most people barely even get the strong espers till the end of the game. And either way, you only get an Economizer from 1 enemy, if you manage to even fight him on the world map. And his encounter rate is pretty rare...

Now the Enemy skill materia sadly shows FF7 its true colors right away. Beta can be learned right outside of Midgar, and Aqualung not even halfway through disc 1 and those are heavy hitting AOE spells.

And as for the Offering...that's also a near end-game accessory, so both those don't count.

If you count someone doing something when they join you, sitting idle for 90% of the game, then doing something again at one point, then Cait Sith and Vincent are perfectly well-fleshed out and useful additions to your FF7 party too

This is extremely ridiculous. This would make the dialogue so much more lengthy and tedious. Again with the unwanted content, why do people think that more = good? Because it doesn't mean that at all. The character just needs to have a scenario fixed on him/her and a good motive to keep the plot going. The characters I said to pull out did have motives and scenarios built around them. There is no reason for Cait Sith and Cid; however, they still have to be recruited.

In fact, you only truly need 4 characters (although it's suicide) in FF6, and the rest you can pick up if you want. Each of the developed characters has their own scenario and contribute so that you don't have deluded boring dialogue.

Sure, generically evil villains don't ruin a game but so many games have them that there's nothing really notable about them.

Have you honestly read anything at all? There is literally a monotony of villains that turn evil which make characters like Sephiroth look extremely cliche. In JRPG's Kefka is actually one of the unique ones. He's a catch phrase nihilist that likes to kill people because it's fun. Usually it's some depressed guy that either hates his origin, wants to end suffering by killing everybody, or needs to exact vengeance upon something.

Because, to me, the only reason anyone likes Kefka is because of "Wait? Do I look like a waiter?" and "Run, run, or you'll be well done!". Gilgamesh has his own assortment of funny lines, like "Let's fight like men! And women! And women who dress like men!"

Did I not say before that Gilgamesh wasn't a main villain? And Gilgamesh looked badass. Kefka was just a sly guy you'd have no idea would become a main villain. It was his tactics and his conniving that made him notorious. He even looks funny and housed a much more comedic personality that is mixed with his malice.

Also, it's ridiculous that someone beforehand just stated their liking to FF6 and you had to totally knock down their opinion like the snotty FF7 elitist you are. They weren't even saying anything bad, just said that they liked FF6.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov