This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate on FFXIII but love FFX when...

#81Devilman_AmonPosted 2/21/2013 6:12:12 AM
Kenichi34 posted...
Nostalgia, plain and simple. FFX was practically everyone's first PS2 game and the leap from PSX to PS2 blew them away. FFX is just as linear, but apparently that's FFXIII's flaw, not FFX's. Please.

There's nothing wrong with FFXIII to warrant the insane hate it gets around here, but hey, this is GameFAQs. And if you ask me I actually prefer FFXIII over FFX. It just had a more enjoyable world and characters. Say whatever you want.

X was coming off from the demise PS1 which was on a CD (multiple), which then means limited space; onto a new DVD disc setup which allowed for more space. The games in its competition were also not that far off the mark., so while the linear fest was looked down upon by many, it wasn't as a whole looked down upon that much given the still limitations of DVD hardware and the fact that at the time, there were no huge expansive open world games to compare it to. (Closest being Shenmue)

So when we made the leap to Blu Ray and the PS3, people assumed there now would be huge explorable worlds in high definition. Not painted on HD murals on a hallway.
And people certainly did not expect it to be multiplat and thus be relocated to HDDVD multi disc set up (which also hinders the ability for open world HD at S-E graphical standards while having uncompressed 1080p FMV)
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#82KyerofoxPosted 2/21/2013 6:18:34 AM(edited)
Zora_Prince posted...
Because despite being linear, it had good pacing, a great story, a great battle system, likable characters, and towns and mini-games to enjoy along the way. Final Fantasy XIII's story was mediocre and underdeveloped, the world was lifeless, the art direction was dull, and there were no breaks from the endless battles.

This :)

Name one character in FFXIII thats more bad ass than Auron... That's right, you can't.
---
PSN: Kyero X360: Kyero
99 Humanities and a Glitch ain't one. If you're having soul problems I feed bad for you son.
#83Devilman_AmonPosted 2/21/2013 6:21:37 AM
I agree with all that but I wouldn't go as far as saying the art direction was dull. There were times vsually when I was impressed by it's artistic scope. But none of that in the end mattered if you couldn't explore it and were tied down to a hallway fest like you were playing Final Fight or something..

NOW the art direction is dull in XIII-2 and LR because of recycled crap and LR trying to look like AC.
But XIII art direction may have seemed dull because the world was as said: lifeless....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#84valiflamPosted 2/21/2013 6:23:15 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
valiflam posted...
mmpepsi posted...
XIII has a far superior battle system and better characters.

Better characters? Just the names of these characters show that they are generic. Lightning? Snow? Hope? Come on..

and X had what?

whiniest teen protagonist in any FF?(who also looked like a blond squall) check.

boring-ass super religious village girl who is willing to do anything to kill sin even though she knows its going to kill her regardless? (who also looks too much like rinoa) check.

the 'big guy' who likes to present himself as a nice guy, yet is really a racist ahole with a superiority complex and is another religious nut? check.

goth chick with huge boobs? check.

stereotypical 'cool old warrior' with an even more stereotypical dark past? check.

the lion man who spends 75% of the game saying nothing and hating on tidus then changes his mind later on? check.

the cliched hyperactive teenage girl? check.

say what you will about 13's characters, but 10's were just ****ing awful outside of lulu, and seymour is quite possibly my most hated villain in the entire series.

Well, if we're gonna play that game, take a look at FFXIII's characters.

The 'I can handle everything on my own' b*tch - Lightning (Just because she uses lightning? How original!)

The 'self proclaimed hero' who is actually just all talk - Snow (Again, how original!)

Vanille is basically the same as Rikku, hyperactive teenage girl. So I don't think you've got anything on that.

Hope - If you think that Tidus is a whiny b*tch, then what is Hope supposed to be? God of whiners?

Sazh - Well, I got nothing on him. He was the only character I felt was really developed.

Fang - typical 'big sis' character.

See? Every game has generic characters. I just think the characters in FFXIII are worse because they are so underdeveloped and oh god their names.
#85matt091282Posted 2/21/2013 6:23:20 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
I agree with all that but I wouldn't go as far as saying the art direction was dull. There were times vsually when I was impressed by it's artistic scope. But none of that in the end mattered if you couldn't explore it and were tied down to a hallway fest like you were playing Final Fight or something..

NOW the art direction is dull in XIII-2 and LR because of recycled crap and LR trying to look like AC.
But XIII art direction may have seemed dull because the world was as said: lifeless....

I almost thought the great graphics in XIII were wasted because you couldn't explore them. Cool places like Palompolum and Nautilus, etc...all beautiful areas but you were basically rushed through them.

Here, they design these great looking places and you can't really explore them fully as you'd want to, you know?
#86matt091282Posted 2/21/2013 6:24:54 AM
One thing both of these games had that I liked a lot was the soundtrack. I thought both games had fantastic soundtracks.
#87KOTRwhoopsPosted 2/21/2013 6:26:02 AM
I love both.
---
PLAYING - Minecraft (360), DmC (PC), ZombiU (WU), Ni No Kuni (PS3)
MOST WANTED - THE PLAYSTATION 4, FFvsXIII, GTAV, Lightning Returns
#88MudbuttSanchezPosted 2/21/2013 6:30:01 AM
This thread got some good answers on why people love FFX and dislike XIII. Of course FFXIII fans will just skim over everything and believe what they wanna believe.
#89TerotrousPosted 2/21/2013 6:32:39 AM
Cause nostalgia. FFX is one of the worst FFs from a gameplay standpoint. It has significantly less customization than the PS1 games, is totally linear, has the world's worst minigames (Blitzball is the only tolerable one) and its random encounter rate is way too high. FF7 blows it away in pretty much every respect.

The one thing FFX has going for it is its presentation. Graphically it's very good for its time. Voice acting is solid. It may have the best soundtrack of any FF. The plot is also decent and is filled with memorable moments. These are the main things that stick in your mind about the game, not the tedious gameplay or zillions of random battles, which is why people remember it so fondly.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#90StrifeyPosted 2/21/2013 6:33:06 AM
Both games are amazingly fun.

X-2 and XIII-2 were great as well; XIII-2 honestly being my favorite of the four.