This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man, Insomniac have completely fallen off the map haven't they?

#1Dark World RulerPosted 2/21/2013 1:00:43 AM
I can't help but feel with Sony's new game Knack that it's a game Insomiac should have came up with for them, but apparently those days are long gone for them (Outside of Ratchet & Clank) and all their new IPs from here on out are just war shooters.

I bet Insomniac must have felt like crap watching the PlayStation 4 reveal, with Knack being a clear sign that Sony doesn't need them any more when they played such a large role in the PS3's launch and it's early years
---
I am the son and the heir,
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
#2gjc2007Posted 2/21/2013 1:07:58 AM
That's EXACTLY what I thought when I was watching that trailer.

Then EA got a hold of them and, well, now instead of getting "Overstrike".....we're getting "Fuse"
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://umthumbs.gametrailers.com/users/noobiablos/gamepad/?
#3ateballPosted 2/21/2013 1:34:30 AM
I've always loved Insomniac but I think when they decided to go the safe, typical, and uninspired route and create an FPS series involving aliens taking over the planet (Resistance) is when they fell into the B caliber developer category instead of maintaining their status as one of Sony's top tier go-to teams to create groundbreaking works of art like Spyro and Ratchet & Clank were. (At least during their respective generations.)

The Resistance franchise was far from bad, it can even be considered great in some circles, but it wasn't necessary or what I think any Insomniac fan really wanted from the talented team. It just wasn't their niche and I think they could've found more success with another genre or even continuing in the innovative platforming genre and could have somehow made platforming relevant again.

I think the fact that Sony already had a very marketable FPS exclusive in the Killzone series and that Resistance's overall sales as a series gave Sony the idea that maybe they were no longer necessary to their success and is the reason they didn't shell out the money to take them out of the third party realm.

Its a shame really, they're continuing with the FPS genre in a multiplatform release when I feel that things could have had a much better outcome if things were done differently. I see it as a variation of the Rare/Nintendo situation in a way where an extremely talented team that was responsible for a companies successful previous console generations gets the shaft and eventually becomes a shell of their former selves.

Sorry for the rant but I had alot to say.
---
Now Playing: AC3, NBA2K13, WWE 13
PSN: 96VTECGSR XBL: KrimZon281
#4LtMessiahDM504Posted 2/21/2013 2:54:21 AM
I thought Resistance 1 was a fantastic shooter. Story wasn't bad, different take on WW2 which was familiar yet foreign at the same time, all your damn guns at the SAME TIME, weapons that were a blast to use, and even further weapons and a grenade type to unlock on a 2nd playthrough. Beefy campaign.

After Resistance 1, they started to blow nuts.
#5SophisticationPosted 2/21/2013 2:59:56 AM
Mark Cerny is the guy who made Insomniac and ND who they are. He is the guy who green lit both Crash and Spyro for those guys... He is the guy who created R&C and gave Ted Price the idea for the buck rogers-like theme of space explorers. Mark Cerny is the most prolific mascot guy in the business this side of Shiggy.
---
As a true sophistocrat I am the best at what I do--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#6PhaseBlackPosted 2/21/2013 8:48:01 AM
Exactly what I was thinking TC. And Knack looks far more creative and interesting than their FUSE, Insomniac are just gone
---
PSVita & 3DS
#7XechsPosted 2/21/2013 9:42:41 AM
The problem with resistance was the 2nd game sucked, and wasn't all that great a follow up to the first game. People were happy the first game because was something new and pretty awesome. Now part 3 was a really good game but I think it's the point of little too late, every game almost dropped half in sales.

But you can't blame insomniac though resistance made a hell lot more revenue then 3 gen7 ratchet and clank games combined could hope, but in the end resistance franchise fizzled to barely a million seller, atleast with their niche titles they have a diehard following might be lower sales but more consistent (except all for one being a travesty). It's definitely a tough act being creative and sometimes caving in to the typical safe stuff or sequelitist to make boat loads of money. Even ratchet as much as I like cracked in time are still same old same old. I don't think they've been on their creative edge since PS2 days. But with all the studio closures this gen who can blame a company playing the safe route.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#8PhaseBlackPosted 2/21/2013 10:54:21 AM
Xechs posted...
The problem with resistance was the 2nd game sucked, and wasn't all that great a follow up to the first game. People were happy the first game because was something new and pretty awesome. Now part 3 was a really good game but I think it's the point of little too late, every game almost dropped half in sales.

But you can't blame insomniac though resistance made a hell lot more revenue then 3 gen7 ratchet and clank games combined could hope, but in the end resistance franchise fizzled to barely a million seller, atleast with their niche titles they have a diehard following might be lower sales but more consistent (except all for one being a travesty). It's definitely a tough act being creative and sometimes caving in to the typical safe stuff or sequelitist to make boat loads of money. Even ratchet as much as I like cracked in time are still same old same old. I don't think they've been on their creative edge since PS2 days. But with all the studio closures this gen who can blame a company playing the safe route.

I doubt Resistance made more revenue than Ratchet and Clank, they had much bigger budgets as well as online that Insomniac had to keep running
---
PSVita & 3DS
#9PhewfusPosted 2/21/2013 11:29:06 AM
I doubt Resistance made more revenue than Ratchet and Clank, they had much bigger budgets as well as online that Insomniac had to keep running

Resistance 1 and 2 made a nice profit actually. Resistance 3 was their first major financial flop.

I think people need to remember that Resistance was aimed at a completely different audience and was really a decision of Sony to make it a launch title of the PS3 because they needed to show they could appeal to the online shooter audience, which was growing exponentially. No one was clamoring for colorful, cartoony games back in 2006.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt for Fuse, since Brian Allgeier is the director of it and he also directed A Crack in Time (and worked on the original PS2 trilogy), which was an amazing game.