This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PSN purchases will not carry over to PS4

#61sjc1279Posted 2/21/2013 3:09:28 PM
This is so stupid move by sony and I think people will keep playing ps3 until ps4 get some great games or price drop.
#62vashtrichamPosted 2/21/2013 3:16:53 PM(edited)
Quote:calhoun1389 posted...
Why is it so hard to comprehend the concept of keeping your old systems to continue playing older games? Did people complain this much when they found out that their new Gamecube wasn't going to play NES and SNES games? Backwards compatibility isn't in any way a requirement when building a new system, as such users need to stop expecting it to be a feature.

This logic doesn't really make sense. You should always push forward with technology, not point to the past as reason for a potential problem not being solved in the future. Basically what I am saying is, if the Gamegube didn't play NES/SNES/N64, that doesn't mean consoles created decades later should have the same issue. Companies should always look for ways to incorporate old technology into new technology when possible. Obviously a cartridge can't fit into a disk player, but disk based technology should be able to incorporate other disk based technology as long as disks are still the current standard.

Most people don't want to have to keep multiple consoles laying around their home just so they can play the occasional game. Can you image if you had to have 3 Xbox's and 3 PS systems all out at the same time if you wanted to keep playing games on them? That sucks, and it is incredibly inconvenient to have to dig out the console from storage every time you get the itch to play a game. In addition, at some point your PS2/PS3 will die and you'll no longer be able to buy a new one. Of course, this happened with every other console in history. However, I've already made the argument that if it's physically possible to incorporate old technology into new ones, then it should be done.

As far as digital content goes, it's completely inexcusable for Sony to have digital content work on one console and not the other. To wrap this up, at least Sony should give people the option to pay a little more if they value having BC on their consoles. Not incorporating it all just speaks to either greed, not caring about their customers, or both. Either way, Sony is a business and they know they're going to get your money either way so I guess we can't complain when we're basically encouraging their behavior with our wallets.

@i am pogo the monkey
How do we know that there are no issues in emulating the ps3 on the ps4. It is a complex machine I could see where it is just too costly and take too much time and resources trying to fit it in instead of focusing on other aspects of the console. People always jump to calling the company greedy or they don't care

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#63king_maddenPosted 2/21/2013 4:37:20 PM
vashtricham posted...
Quote:calhoun1389 posted...
Why is it so hard to comprehend the concept of keeping your old systems to continue playing older games? Did people complain this much when they found out that their new Gamecube wasn't going to play NES and SNES games? Backwards compatibility isn't in any way a requirement when building a new system, as such users need to stop expecting it to be a feature.

This logic doesn't really make sense. You should always push forward with technology, not point to the past as reason for a potential problem not being solved in the future. Basically what I am saying is, if the Gamegube didn't play NES/SNES/N64, that doesn't mean consoles created decades later should have the same issue. Companies should always look for ways to incorporate old technology into new technology when possible. Obviously a cartridge can't fit into a disk player, but disk based technology should be able to incorporate other disk based technology as long as disks are still the current standard.

Most people don't want to have to keep multiple consoles laying around their home just so they can play the occasional game. Can you image if you had to have 3 Xbox's and 3 PS systems all out at the same time if you wanted to keep playing games on them? That sucks, and it is incredibly inconvenient to have to dig out the console from storage every time you get the itch to play a game. In addition, at some point your PS2/PS3 will die and you'll no longer be able to buy a new one. Of course, this happened with every other console in history. However, I've already made the argument that if it's physically possible to incorporate old technology into new ones, then it should be done.

As far as digital content goes, it's completely inexcusable for Sony to have digital content work on one console and not the other. To wrap this up, at least Sony should give people the option to pay a little more if they value having BC on their consoles. Not incorporating it all just speaks to either greed, not caring about their customers, or both. Either way, Sony is a business and they know they're going to get your money either way so I guess we can't complain when we're basically encouraging their behavior with our wallets.

@i am pogo the monkey
How do we know that there are no issues in emulating the ps3 on the ps4. It is a complex machine I could see where it is just too costly and take too much time and resources trying to fit it in instead of focusing on other aspects of the console. People always jump to calling the company greedy or they don't care

its easier to complain about something when you have no idea how it works or what work goes into it. they might see something thats works in a similar fashion and then immediately assume its easy and should be able to work on anything.

couch devs is what i call em. have no idea what work a dev puts into something, yet know exactly what should be where and how.
#64blankempathyPosted 2/21/2013 4:41:19 PM(edited)
I can see why Nintendo had issues mainly because they didn't have a universal Nintendo ID system but whats Sonys problem? My psn account is linked between all my systems (ps3/vita/psp) which makes it a universal sony playstation account.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#65Combo MasterPosted 2/21/2013 5:00:20 PM
BC would be nice of course but the added price it would cost for them to be able to do it probably wasn't worth the extra hit for them in the console price.

It's certainly nice if your ps3 would happen to breakdown though and u would be able to play on ps4.PS2 games are much better played on a decent pc when they work anyways.
---
Combo Master
#66calhoun1389Posted 2/21/2013 5:05:21 PM(edited)
The tech is there so the expectation is there.

That's the problem, you're expecting an optional feature which wasn't entirely in the previous console. Just because one system does something, doesn't mean that every console afterwards HAS to do it too. For all you know, the PS4 can't just run an emulator straight off the bat without raising the price like it did when they tried to make the PS3 emulate PS2 games.

Sony is not obligated to let your PS3 games run on the PS4, nor are they obligated to explain to anyone who isn't a shareholder as to why they made this decision. Whether people like it or not, the systems belong to Sony and they can design the systems however they see fit. Be it in a way that makes emulating previous gens difficult, or because having the hardware added would drive up costs (a decision they made last time) ,or because they don't want people to play previous gen games on the console until after production on the previous console ends to rake in sales from 2 systems instead of 1. It's no one's choice but the executives at Sony.
---
The thing about speculation is that it makes a spec out of you and some guy name Lation.. which has nothing to do with me. - Gregory House M.D.
#67blitz-boy11Posted 2/21/2013 5:05:54 PM
KojaxFX posted...
THat is pretty dumb..............kinda had to rebuy the PS1 final fantasy games cause my PS2 died...........

Final Fantasy VII-IX? If you already owned them why did you rebuy them 0_o anyways as bad as it is I'm pretty sure Sony find a way to compensate PS3 owners. Maybe transfer their PSN purchases over to Gaikai? We don't know yet so we'll just have to wait and see.
---
PSN: Hiroshima711
#68crazyman32Posted 2/21/2013 5:10:58 PM
PHEEliNUX posted...
Don't sell/discard your PS3, Problem solved

This^
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that.I apologize for nothing.
#69Vohn_ExelPosted 2/21/2013 5:15:29 PM
calhoun1389 posted...
The tech is there so the expectation is there.

That's the problem, you're expecting an optional feature which wasn't entirely in the previous console. Just because one system does something, doesn't mean that every console afterwards HAS to do it too. For all you know, the PS4 can't just run an emulator straight off the bat without raising the price like it did when they tried to make the PS3 emulate PS2 games.

Sony is not obligated to let your PS3 games run on the PS4, nor are they obligated to explain to anyone who isn't a shareholder as to why they made this decision. Whether people like it or not, the systems belong to Sony and they can design the systems however they see fit. Be it in a way that makes emulating previous gens difficult, or because having the hardware added would drive up costs (a decision they made last time) ,or because they don't want people to play previous gen games on the console until after production on the previous console ends to rake in sales from 2 systems instead of 1. It's no one's choice but the executives at Sony.

Like I've said, I can sort of understand the ps3 games, but others I cannot. Why spend all this time building their digital library of older gen games only to have to rebuild it again later on? The idea behind digital purchases is that you don't have to actually keep something because it will "always " be there. Steam does this, why not psn. There is ni point in me buying Bully on the psn if I'm going to have to do it again later, or not be able to at all. I'd be just as well buying it for my ps2 that I kept.

The digital purchases shouldn't be subject to the same restrictions as physical media. It took me a while to warm up to digital purchases. If they make the psn irrelevant, I'll most likely return to only using the digital service when forced to, for dlc or updates. Otherise I'd rather have a copy I can hold on to, since I'll have to do that anyway.
---
Black FC: 0003 3193 6389/
I have nothing witty to put here
#70Lexmark1989Posted 2/21/2013 5:17:00 PM
Yeah I was mad about that but none of the new systems coming are BC. Either way I don't care anymore I'm not giving up my ps3 and never planned on it. In fact I still have almost all my systems that I've ever bought.
---
I'm a ladies man and i loves my ladies