This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Speaking of Final Fantasy

#31shinra35800Posted 2/21/2013 12:52:08 PM(edited)
@Dark: You could still fly it in FF4 DS remake though and Shadow of the Colussus's main area was pretty HUGE before you hit a zone mark (if they had zones, i can't remember). They should be able to go into open world ff games again with flying the airship with ps3 and ps4. I don't understand why they don't. After all, sleeping dogs didn't have zones and had great graphics so I don't know what SE is thinking :P
FF6 and 7 would be amazing on new/current gen.
#32PhaseSlaethePosted 2/21/2013 12:55:13 PM
The problem with making overworlds is, you have to make them compelling.

It is actually a black mark on the game if it gives you an overworld that is lifeless and dull. (NNK, for one)

It is easier to make prettier but more "condensed" areas. Dark Souls had great environments, but you WERE effectively boxed in. (You could also argue that Demon's made better environments due to the layout style used.)

Xenoblade made awesome and wide areas, but nothing you could really call an Overworld.

People just don't want to be ALWAYS moving in one direction.
#3395_Eclipse(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 11:58:34 AM
Well, thanks for the info and opinions guys.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#34Darkwolf BloodsbanePosted 2/22/2013 12:25:10 PM
shinra35800 posted...
@Dark: You could still fly it in FF4 DS remake though and Shadow of the Colussus's main area was pretty HUGE before you hit a zone mark (if they had zones, i can't remember). They should be able to go into open world ff games again with flying the airship with ps3 and ps4. I don't understand why they don't. After all, sleeping dogs didn't have zones and had great graphics so I don't know what SE is thinking :P

I was talking strictly about new, main series numbered games. FFIII DS and FFIV DS aren't new games, they're remakes of old games.
---
Leather doesn't really suit me...unless it's lingerie. - Katythefr3ak
#35Spiroth_KweehhPosted 2/22/2013 2:35:09 PM(edited)
Darkwolf Bloodsbane posted...
shinra35800 posted...

I was talking strictly about new, main series numbered games. FFIII DS and FFIV DS aren't new games, they're remakes of old games.

Ok, forget remakes.
Main installment criteria is irrelevant.
So, new (last 5 years) FINAL FANTASY games that have direct airship or flying chocobo control:

-FINAL FANTASY The 4 Heroes of Light
-FINAL FANTASY Dimensions
-FINAL FANTASY Type-0
-FINAL FANTASY IV: The After Years (FINAL FANTASY IV: The Complete Collection)

And it has been confirmed FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII has controllable Airships.

---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#36KOTRsssPosted 2/22/2013 2:34:44 PM
It is by far the most linear FF game that they have ever made. There is a good chance you will enjoy it, but judging from your preferences, you probably wont like it as much as earlier FFs. You might like it more than FFXII but I cant say for sure.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#37Spiroth_KweehhPosted 2/22/2013 2:37:53 PM
KOTRsss posted...
It is by far the most linear FF game that they have ever made. There is a good chance you will enjoy it, but judging from your preferences, you probably wont like it as much as earlier FFs. You might like it more than FFXII but I cant say for sure.

Actually, people that love FINAL FANTASY VIII, tend to like FINAL FANTASY XIII.
And it's not the most gameplay-linear FINAL FANTASY game at all. Far from it.
It is the most gameplay-linear Main FINAL FANTASY installment though.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#38Power TurtlePosted 2/22/2013 2:40:02 PM
XIII is a GREAT GAME.. but a MEH Final Fantasy. You can find it for less than ten bucks at gamestop so i say you should get it.. battle system is addictive and i personally love the story. Graphics are among the BEST the ps3 has to offer, im not a graphics whore in the least, but thats really XIIIs best quality. THe music isnt as good as past final fantasys but its good enough. XIII has decent character development but not as good as past titles imo. seems after a while so characters are just there to be there.. which makes sense because of the story, and why they are doing what they are doing.

anyway, TL;DR?? GET IT!
#3995_Eclipse(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 3:39:34 PM
KOTRsss posted...

Actually, people that love FINAL FANTASY VIII, tend to like FINAL FANTASY XIII.
And it's not the most gameplay-linear FINAL FANTASY game at all. Far from it.
It is the most gameplay-linear Main FINAL FANTASY installment though.

That's interesting, well, hopefully I like it. I don't expect it to directly compete with FFVIII as my favorite, games today are just ... different. I know that so I keep my expectations in check. That's why I was able to enjoy all 3 Xenosaga games, even though IMO they still don't compete with Xenogears (though III was starting to get close)

Power Turtle posted...
XIII is a GREAT GAME.. but a MEH Final Fantasy. You can find it for less than ten bucks at gamestop so i say you should get it.. battle system is addictive and i personally love the story. Graphics are among the BEST the ps3 has to offer, im not a graphics whore in the least, but thats really XIIIs best quality. THe music isnt as good as past final fantasys but its good enough. XIII has decent character development but not as good as past titles imo. seems after a while so characters are just there to be there.. which makes sense because of the story, and why they are doing what they are doing.

anyway, TL;DR?? GET IT!

$10? Sounds like I'm getting it for sure lol. I may go Monday or something, see if they have any in.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#40donkeyjackPosted 2/22/2013 4:02:32 PM
KOTRsss posted...

Nah, FF12 was at least nonlinear and had some heartfelt scenes.