This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about the claim 'no more bootup times on PS4' and I have 3 questions.

#1NicodimusPosted 2/21/2013 2:35:35 PM
#1 If the system is never actually off (meaning you can only put it into sleep mode) how much will this run up your electric bill?

#2 If the system is never actually off, will it wear out more quickly due to overheating?

#3 Clearly, the person who made this claim was talking about digital games on the system's hard drive. The PS4 specs show that it has a 6X blu-ray drive. So, what do you think the boot times will be for retail games in light of the new hardware?
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#2A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/21/2013 2:36:48 PM
You'll be able to turn it off.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#3EoinPosted 2/21/2013 2:41:46 PM(edited)
1. You can turn it off, but when suspended it will have a low-power state. Asking us how much it will add to your electrical bill, however, is extremely silly - not only do we have literally no details on the PS4, you have also not told us anything, at all, about where you live and how you get your electricity, so even if we knew everything about the PS4, we wouldn't be able to answer this question.

2. The system can be turned off. However, if you leave it suspended, it shouldn't significantly affect the lifetime of the machine. Components are not being stressed when it's suspended.

3. The "claim" (odd choice of words - it's a fact that was being revealed, not a claim) was for all games, possibly excepting streamed games. Disc-based games will suspend the same way games stored on the hard drive do.
#4killakPosted 2/21/2013 2:43:40 PM
Suspending to RAM only requires a tiny amount of power, just for the RAM, so you probably won't even notice it.

To be honest, i'm surpirsed they didn't just throw the OS onto an onboard ROM chip, as opposed to the HDD.
---
The cure for the corporate review!
www.classicgameroom.com
#5Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 2:45:13 PM(edited)
3. The "claim" (odd choice of words - it's a fact that was being revealed, not a claim) was for all games, without exception.

It can't be. Optical media has limiting factors. Even hard drives, which are faster, have seek times.

---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#6EoinPosted 2/21/2013 2:48:08 PM
Nicodimus posted...
It can't be. Optical media has limiting factors. Even hard drives, which are faster, have seek times.

No. I have told you that disc-based games can be suspended. That was an attempt to give you factual information, not to start a discussion with you, so please don't come back to my post with "It can't be". It is.

What's being done is that the RAM is being kept powered to preserve its state. That's all. As a result, there is no difference for this process in terms of optical disc versus hard drive.
#7Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 2:54:19 PM
Nicodimus posted...

No. I have told you that disc-based games can be suspended. That was an attempt to give you factual information, not to start a discussion with you, so please don't come back to my post with "It can't be". It is.

What's being done is that the RAM is being kept powered to preserve its state. That's all. As a result, there is no difference for this process in terms of optical disc versus hard drive.

Boot times. Emphasis on the word BOOT. You can't suspend something that isn't in the RAM yet.

From when you first put the disc in, to the time you can hit start and play. That's what I'm talking about.
---
"I am not tacking up my living quarters with gaming machines -- I'm not 12. This isn't a damn bedroom with bunk beds and star wars posters in it."
#8EoinPosted 2/21/2013 2:56:13 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Boot times. Emphasis on the word BOOT. You can't suspend something that isn't in the RAM yet.

From when you first put the disc in, to the time you can hit start and play. That's what I'm talking about.

Bot times aren't being eliminated. You still have to boot. Once the PS4 is booted (including when it's playing a game) you can suspend. There will be no boot time upon resumption.
#9Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 3:01:05 PM
Nicodimus posted...

Bot times aren't being eliminated. You still have to boot. Once the PS4 is booted (including when it's playing a game) you can suspend. There will be no boot time upon resumption.

Now that we've cleared that up, what do you think the answer to #3 is?
---
"I am not tacking up my living quarters with gaming machines -- I'm not 12. This isn't a damn bedroom with bunk beds and star wars posters in it."
#10EoinPosted 2/21/2013 3:06:40 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Now that we've cleared that up, what do you think the answer to #3 is?

From suspension, virtually none, as I said already. If you weirdly mean when starting them for the first time, then it'll be similar to the PS3.