This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about the claim 'no more bootup times on PS4' and I have 3 questions.

#11Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 3:13:33 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
Now that we've cleared that up, what do you think the answer to #3 is?

From suspension, virtually none, as I said already. If you weirdly mean when starting them for the first time, then it'll be similar to the PS3.

I don't know why you keep adding "from suspension" to my original question, but I am not asking about that. The topic title says nothing about resume times, it says bootup times, so it's not weird at all that it's what I'm asking about.
---
"I am not tacking up my living quarters with gaming machines -- I'm not 12. This isn't a damn bedroom with bunk beds and star wars posters in it."
#12EoinPosted 2/21/2013 3:13:42 PM
Nicodimus posted...
I don't know why you keep adding "from suspension" to my original question, but I am not asking about that. The topic title says nothing about resume times, it says bootup times, so it's not weird at all that it's what I'm asking about.

The "no bootup times" is from suspension. It's not a feature that exists in any other context.
#13zyrax2301Posted 2/21/2013 3:17:44 PM
I wonder if they'll cut load times as well? To be honest the amount of time I spend booting up my PS3 is nothing compared to the cumulative load times I have to sit through in some games (e.g. Skyrim).
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#14Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 3:20:52 PM
LET'S JUST SAY THAT I WEIRDLY MEAN BOOT UP TIMES LIKE I ASKED AND NOT RESUME TIMES.

So, in that case, you think it will take the same time as the PS3 even though the hardware is a lot faster?
---
"I am not tacking up my living quarters with gaming machines -- I'm not 12. This isn't a damn bedroom with bunk beds and star wars posters in it."
#15EoinPosted 2/21/2013 3:21:41 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
I wonder if they'll cut load times as well? To be honest the amount of time I spend booting up my PS3 is nothing compared to the cumulative load times I have to sit through in some games (e.g. Skyrim).

The drive is faster but there's more RAM to fill so load times are probably going to be similar or worse. Expect installs again, although I think it's likely that they'll be mostly done in the background this time.
#16regsantotomasPosted 2/21/2013 3:23:47 PM
Nicodimus posted...
LET'S JUST SAY THAT I WEIRDLY MEAN BOOT UP TIMES LIKE I ASKED AND NOT RESUME TIMES.

So, in that case, you think it will take the same time as the PS3 even though the hardware is a lot faster?

Hard to tell but wouldn't be surprised only because it seems that with every new iteration of an operating system (including modern consoles), more things need to be initialized during the boot sequence. If the system were simply initializing the same items as previous generation, then certainly one would expect a much faster boot time with the hardware.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#17EoinPosted 2/21/2013 3:29:34 PM
Nicodimus posted...

LET'S RANDOMLY CAPITALISE STUFF FOR NO REASON AND MAKE IT BOLD.

Seriously, it's not my fault you can't express yourself clearly. You're asking questions within your own topic which is specifically about the suspend/resume feature, and you expect people to mentally divine that for one of those questions, you don't mean the suspend/resume feature, even though you reference that feature in the question itself? If you had just said "When I turn on the PS4, not resuming it, how long do you think it'd take to start a disc-based game", it would have been clearer, and actually shorter. Can you now, please, stop getting pointlessly angry over the fact that you didn't do that?

To answer your question, the hardware isn't a lot faster. The drive is 3 times faster at the edges, whereas there's 16 times as much RAM to fill. RAM bandwidth is higher but that's not where the bottleneck was with the PS3 or will be with the PS4. Hard drive seek times will be identical, maybe slightly better if they use a higher-density drive. None of the potential improvements fully cancel out the increase in RAM and therefore the increase in the amount of data that will potentially need to be loaded. Times similar to the PS3 are an optimistic guess, not a pessimistic one.
#18Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 3:42:40 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...

LET'S RANDOMLY CAPITALISE STUFF FOR NO REASON AND MAKE IT BOLD.

Seriously, it's not my fault you can't express yourself clearly. You're asking questions within your own topic which is specifically about the suspend/resume feature

aaaaand that's where you're wrong. Read it again. All about boot times. Show me where in my topic title or the first post where I mention 'resume' or 'suspend', and I'll give you a thousand dollars.

---