This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

[POLL] How Important is Backwards Compatibility to You?

#31Jinzo 111887Posted 2/22/2013 1:51:33 PM
@Jinzo 111887
Only if that is possible. It may not be possible with the ps3 being as complex as is

There's a PS3 emulator for PC already, if I'm not mistaken. If PS4 is based on the same technology, Emulation wouldn't be out of the question. Likewise, there's also PS1 and PS2 emulators for PC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmx14S4lTok

People complain enough as it is. To have it possible, but only through a paid upgrade, would just make all the whiners whine more. Ugh, god, think of all the people here that would dwell on that for ages.

I can appreciate some people not having enough space, but I'm sure the majority of gamers have enough room to have 2+ consoles setup at the same time. I'll admit to being lazy, which is why I don't have my Dreamcast or PS2 hooked up, but that's on me. I'm surprised people don't complain about the system not having a multi-disc changer because, frankly, I would have played certain games a lot less if I didn't have to get off the couch to change them >.>

They say the system would cost more if it was built in, so I'm not sure it would make any difference in the end. However, this does provide a way to keep the base console price down and allow those who want to bc to actually get it. Personally, I want it as a backup plan for if my current consoles break. I've had the disc drives break on my PS1, Gamecube, and Wii so far.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#32Dfx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 2:04:10 PM
vashtricham posted...

@Dfx
I would love a multi disc changer, that alone would be a system seller for me

Me too >.<
#33Dfx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 2:13:08 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...

They say the system would cost more if it was built in, so I'm not sure it would make any difference in the end. However, this does provide a way to keep the base console price down and allow those who want to bc to actually get it. Personally, I want it as a backup plan for if my current consoles break. I've had the disc drives break on my PS1, Gamecube, and Wii so far.

The backup idea is a good point, provided there weren't any hassles in terms of games saves or controller compatibility.. I'd be interested to know though how much adding the feature would actually cost the consumer. These days I kinda doubt a company would invest a whole lot into developing a feature like this and direct the cost solely to the individuals who pay for the add-on or peripheral or whatever it might be. Also, what's to stop them from holding back other features while 'claiming' to do it to reduce the systems overall cost? Suddenly some other key features might end up as a paid add-on rather than part of the core system. I still roll my eyes at the idea of having to pay for online play.
#34Jinzo 111887Posted 2/22/2013 3:51:02 PM(edited)
1.)The backup idea is a good point, provided there weren't any hassles in terms of games saves or controller compatibility.. I'd be interested to know though how much adding the feature would actually cost the consumer.
2.)These days I kinda doubt a company would invest a whole lot into developing a feature like this and direct the cost solely to the individuals who pay for the add-on or peripheral or whatever it might be.
3.)Also, what's to stop them from holding back other features while 'claiming' to do it to reduce the systems overall cost? Suddenly some other key features might end up as a paid add-on rather than part of the core system. I still roll my eyes at the idea of having to pay for online play.

1.)Thanks.
2.)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDNm5fpazxI Well, someone invented some things to play NES and Genesis games on an SNES. There's also a USB cartridge reader for SNES and Genesis games that uses plugins for other systems too, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
3.)It's PC like, right? I'd would say doing something like that would result in Hackers doing it and giving it away for free might sabotage Sony. Also, I kind of hate the pay to play online thing too. Both Xbox Live and online passes are pathetic.
---
Giygas used the Red Ring of Death to sabotage Slenderman's plan to use Xbox 360s and Halo to brainwash kids.
#35ThamauturgePosted 2/22/2013 3:55:53 PM(edited)
I'd use BC often if my PS3 Supported it.

I would love to play PS2 games with an HDMI connection, smoothing, infinite memory card storage and a wireless controller. Its really a shame because the BC PS3s were the best PS2s ever made. The fact that Sony removed this feature is the biggest disappointment that I have with Sony.

PS4 not playing PS3 doesn't really bother me, but I really hope it at least plays PS1 and PS2. There is no excuse for it not too since it should easily emulate both.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#36archizzyPosted 2/22/2013 4:01:05 PM
No interest to me personally. Had a BC PS3 and never used the BC portion of it. When I move on to a new generation I give away my old system and all the games.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#37Dfx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 4:22:06 PM
I haven't actually tried any of the classics from the PS Store. I wonder if I didn't have the ability to play the old games then I'd suddenly feel short changed. The same could be true for the people that own PS3s that don't support BC. The absence of a feature could be creating a feeling of loss, when having it might prove it's not that useful to them. (Obviously not everyone ;)