This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone use the Panasonic VT50 for gaming?

#1dudupupuPosted 2/21/2013 5:25:30 PM
If so, would you recommend it?

I had a Samsung PN59D8000 plasma that I used primarily for gaming back in the day, but I ended up getting minor IR after playing Dark Souls for 80+ hours straight while forgetting to moderate...haha.

I just noticed how relatively cheap the VT50 is and wanted some opinions on it strictly for gaming.

I was decided against getting another TV, but it seems to be such a great bargain (some putting it ahead of the Sharp Elite) and my girl keeps stating how she misses watching movies on a big screen.

Well?

Also, for the well-informed, is there or is there NOT a 50-inch version of this model? I can't seem to find one on Amazon, but there are countless reviews of that particular size!
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#2archizzyPosted 2/21/2013 5:30:15 PM
There are at least two people here on the forum that have it, and one who is fairly regular who I saw on the boards not long ago. I'm sure he will pop in.

As for sizes it comes in 55 and 65.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#3IKnowGameFuPosted 2/21/2013 5:35:02 PM
Can only tell you what I've read on AVS forums but it's not good for gaming in the sense that it does have IR problems. I was looking at this one for awhile and decided it just isn't worth the hassle for gaming.
---
"you dawg i heard you like watching TV so i put a TV in your TV so you can watch TV while you watch TV" --- the_great_tidus on 360 TV
#4archizzyPosted 2/21/2013 6:00:33 PM
To add on since you formerly had a Samsung.

This year Panasonic and Samsung sort of "switched" positions on IR. In years past Samsung was notoriously poor with IR and Panasonic was much better.

This year since both companies are using different panels Panasonic has taken a step backwards in that department and Samsung is much improved this year.

Considering how good the PNE measures up compared to the VT50 that should be an option as well.

And really if you don't need all the bells and whistles the PNE7000 would be a viable option equal in picture quality just minus the smart tv stuff.

If 3D is a consideration at all the Samsung models handily beat out the Panasonic 2012 models.

You were decently happy with your PND8000 and the PNE8000/7000 is better than that overall, with better black levels, and much improved IR handling. I think knowing your history of displays you would enjoy this more than going with a VT50.

Especially if you don't need the smart tv stuff you could get a PNE7000 in 60 inches for cheaper than a 55 inch VT50.
---
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5dudupupu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 6:55:55 PM
archizzy posted...
To add on since you formerly had a Samsung.

This year Panasonic and Samsung sort of "switched" positions on IR. In years past Samsung was notoriously poor with IR and Panasonic was much better.

This year since both companies are using different panels Panasonic has taken a step backwards in that department and Samsung is much improved this year.

Considering how good the PNE measures up compared to the VT50 that should be an option as well.

And really if you don't need all the bells and whistles the PNE7000 would be a viable option equal in picture quality just minus the smart tv stuff.

If 3D is a consideration at all the Samsung models handily beat out the Panasonic 2012 models.

You were decently happy with your PND8000 and the PNE8000/7000 is better than that overall, with better black levels, and much improved IR handling. I think knowing your history of displays you would enjoy this more than going with a VT50.

Especially if you don't need the smart tv stuff you could get a PNE7000 in 60 inches for cheaper than a 55 inch VT50.

Thanks for that!

How "decreased" is PQ from say the PNE8000 to the 7000? I have a nasty habit of biting after the highest-end sets, but is it really necessary? Is the PQ quality comparable to the 8000 or even the VT50?
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#6dudupupu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 6:56:29 PM
This is all made even better considering the 51-inch (plenty of big for me) is only ~$950.
---
#7archizzyPosted 2/21/2013 7:16:42 PM
Thanks for that!

How "decreased" is PQ from say the PNE8000 to the 7000? I have a nasty habit of biting after the highest-end sets, but is it really necessary? Is the PQ quality comparable to the 8000 or even the VT50?

There is no decrease in PQ.

The owners thread on avsforum includes the PNE8000/7000 in the same thread.

The 7000 doesn't come with the camera and the smart touch remote for smart interaction. Picture quality is identical.

The 8000/7000 stands toe to toe with the VT50 just like the PND models stood toe to toe with the VT30 and so on and so on. Minor differences, both high end flagship sets. The only differences which is actually a decent amount is the Samsung beats out the Panny models by a decent margin in 3D and in IR this year.

For you, I believe the Samsung is the better buy. If you don't care about the camera and smart touch remote, get the PNE7000. There will be no difference in PQ. It is a flagship set.

As for other differences the Samsung has slightly less shadow detail performance than the VT50 and in a bright room performs slightly behind the Panny. (Remember though the black levels/performance are better than the PND you had, this is just in relation to the VT50)

Again though taking into context your history with IR, I think you want to go with the Samsung over the Panasonic.

As per usual though, check out professional reviews, and go to the owners thread on avsforum. Find some gamers, talking to them, feel it out.
---
#8dudupupu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 7:26:25 PM
archizzy posted...
Thanks for that!

There is no decrease in PQ.

The owners thread on avsforum includes the PNE8000/7000 in the same thread.

The 7000 doesn't come with the camera and the smart touch remote for smart interaction. Picture quality is identical.

The 8000/7000 stands toe to toe with the VT50 just like the PND models stood toe to toe with the VT30 and so on and so on. Minor differences, both high end flagship sets. The only differences which is actually a decent amount is the Samsung beats out the Panny models by a decent margin in 3D and in IR this year.

For you, I believe the Samsung is the better buy. If you don't care about the camera and smart touch remote, get the PNE7000. There will be no difference in PQ. It is a flagship set.

As for other differences the Samsung has slightly less shadow detail performance than the VT50 and in a bright room performs slightly behind the Panny. (Remember though the black levels/performance are better than the PND you had, this is just in relation to the VT50)

Again though taking into context your history with IR, I think you want to go with the Samsung over the Panasonic.

As per usual though, check out professional reviews, and go to the owners thread on avsforum. Find some gamers, talking to them, feel it out.

I think I might actually impulse buy the PNE7000 tonight!

I've grown out of my desire to look at eye-bleeding whites and find that I just want a natural and accurate picture, accentuated by good blacks, all of which this set seems to have.

Fortunately, I've also grown out of my compulsion to find flaws or chat exceedingly about TV tech, so that may work in my favor.

Kudos young man for helping me find this set! You've, in the span of a few minutes saved me ~$1000!
---
#9archizzyPosted 2/21/2013 7:31:31 PM
No problem. Give me an update down the road after you get it and have some time with it. Shoot me a message, give me your thoughts.
---