This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Serious question: Why do people hate IGN?

#41guineathewopPosted 2/22/2013 2:58:33 PM
-Most of the people there seem more like people who couldn't get a job as real journalists, they don't seem to know jack about anything game, movie or music related. Why go to a site to rad the opinions of people who aren't even qualified?

-They've given out 10's to games with glaringly, multiple problems so either they were bribed or they're incompetent. Pick one

-Their headlines are usually sensationalistic and blatant lies just to get people to click on them

-They like to start fanboy wars for the webtraffic
#42glory of power metalPosted 2/22/2013 7:18:33 PM
-Most of the people there seem more like people who couldn't get a job as real journalists, they don't seem to know jack about anything game, movie or music related. Why go to a site to rad the opinions of people who aren't even qualified?

And who are you to decide whether or not someone is qualified to write for a gaming website? I see this loose blanket statement thrown around a lot and it never seems to amount to more than "I don't agree with a lot of their writers' opinions so they must be dumb."

-They've given out 10's to games with glaringly, multiple problems so either they were bribed or they're incompetent. Pick one

Or they work off a review scale where 10/10 doesn't necessarily mean that the game is 100% perfect and the fool proof and super important numbering system cannot possibly be refuted. Like how the guy who reviewed GTA IV said despite it not being perfect, it does so much so well and pushes so many boundaries that it deserves a 10/10. I didn't like it but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw a fit on a message board and call conspiracy because how dare they award the coveted and holy perfect score to game I don't like.

-Their headlines are usually sensationalistic and blatant lies just to get people to click on them

Solid point. It's not like embellishment to raise public interest and draw attention has been done by every story teller or form of printed/digital news since the dawn of time.

-They like to start fanboy wars for the webtraffic

Fanboys can't help but throw man tantrums on their site because that's apparently what the game community does for fun. Reworded and equally as true.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#43mogar002Posted 2/22/2013 7:24:08 PM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
mogar002 posted...
They said if you like Uncharted 2 more than Mass Effect 2 you are a fanboy.

Who said that? I've never heard that before.

Greg Miller
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#44guineathewopPosted 2/22/2013 8:00:07 PM
glory of power metal posted...

And who are you to decide whether or not someone is qualified to write for a gaming website? I see this loose blanket statement thrown around a lot and it never seems to amount to more than "I don't agree with a lot of their writers' opinions so they must be dumb."

Well it's quite simple: If you obviously know jack**** about a topic you shouldn't be writing about it. It would be like me getting a job writing food reviews despite the fact that my culinary arts degree only covers toast

Or they work off a review scale where 10/10 doesn't necessarily mean that the game is 100% perfect and the fool proof and super important numbering system cannot possibly be refuted. Like how the guy who reviewed GTA IV said despite it not being perfect, it does so much so well and pushes so many boundaries that it deserves a 10/10. I didn't like it but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw a fit on a message board and call conspiracy because how dare they award the coveted and holy perfect score to game I don't like.

A game having "glaring multiple problems", such as GTA4, would already make it not a 10, even by their rating system. This is what 9.7 and the like are for, but they can't give it that cause they gave that to COD75 cause Activsion advertised on their site.

Solid point. It's not like embellishment to raise public interest and draw attention has been done by every story teller or form of printed/digital news since the dawn of time.

Yeah that makes it OK. Been watching Fox? Who, coincidentally I'm sure, owned them right as they turned to ****.

Fanboys can't help but throw man tantrums on their site because that's apparently what the game community does for fun. Reworded and equally as true.

Of course, but they intentionally bait them with moronic articles about something having one thing that the other system doesn't or whatever else they can think of to incite nerdrage.
#45kingrat2314Posted 2/22/2013 9:42:28 PM
It's not just IGN, it's most of the more mainstream gaming journalism sites. The fact of the matter is most of those sites are so sterilized and boring, and they are an embarrassment to journalism in general.
---
Metal Gear Rising is the new standard by which all action games should be held. Except for the last boss.
#46tmons78Posted 2/22/2013 9:52:32 PM
mogar002 posted...
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
mogar002 posted...
They said if you like Uncharted 2 more than Mass Effect 2 you are a fanboy.

Who said that? I've never heard that before.

Greg Miller

If you want the article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/02/03/ps3-perspective-mass-effect-2-is-better-than-uncharted
#47savagechild89Posted 2/22/2013 9:56:13 PM
i dont hate them but i dont really love them. i guess i dont have an opinion.

however when i hear people hate on them, it usually has to do with people thinking their reviews are biased due to being bought out by companies. now is that true? i honestly dont know and i really dont care. doesnt effect me in the slightest. if a game interests me im gonna buy it regardless of how high or low it was rated.
---
PSN: Savagechild89, 3DS Friendcode: 4983-5811-5759, Wii U: Littleraven89
#48KJB32Posted 2/22/2013 10:02:55 PM
I don't, I quite enjoy IGN.

It's the Internet, it is full of hate.
---
[] 3DS FC: 5284-2204-1632 KJB []
[] PSN: ItsKayJayBee [] Steam: KayJayBee []
#49theofficefan99Posted 2/23/2013 12:00:22 AM
Never hated IGN, and I never understood why people do. They make mistakes now and then with typos and whatnot but that's not too big of a deal.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#50thedarklordx3Posted 2/23/2013 10:55:37 AM
http://www.ign.com/games/god-hand/ps2-822478
http://www.ign.com/games/double-dragon-neon/ps3-131321

that''s why

I don't care about the second, but the first is unforgivable
DolphLundgrennn posted...
I don't like their staff but I'd bang chobot and Naomi

you, me and every other heterosexual male, homosexual female or bisexual in existance
---
Official Raichu of the pokemon X and Y boards
PSN: Devilkingx2 msg me when you add