This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Serious question: Why do people hate IGN?

#51king_maddenPosted 2/23/2013 2:49:05 PM
I thought DDN was terrible and fairly tacky.

just felt like they were trying to hard to say "hey its the 80s"
#52Godstriker8Posted 2/23/2013 2:57:14 PM
I love IGN. But people always say how they're paid off without any proof, and always complain about how they compare every game to CoD, and how they love CoD (I see no evidence of this, but w/e)
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#53glory of power metalPosted 2/24/2013 4:21:49 PM
guineathewop posted...
Well it's quite simple: If you obviously know jack**** about a topic you shouldn't be writing about it. It would be like me getting a job writing food reviews despite the fact that my culinary arts degree only covers toast

Once again, a blanket statement of 'IGN doesn't know anything about video games' coming from a random person on the Internet doesn't mean anything when IGN is one of the biggest video game related entertainment websites in existence. You need proof for that.

A game having "glaring multiple problems", such as GTA4, would already make it not a 10, even by their rating system. This is what 9.7 and the like are for, but they can't give it that cause they gave that to COD75 cause Activsion advertised on their site.

Take one quick look at Metacritic and it is apparent that the world agrees that the CoD games are very good games except for people who have vendettas against anything popular. How can anyone seriously convince themselves that a series is bad when it's aggregate score is 90+ across the board? And for the GTA IV thing, what you call "multiple glaring weaknesses" someone else considered "excusable shortcomings." And really, if your complaint is that they gave it a 10/10 when it was clearly a 9.7/10.. I just don't know what to say.

Yeah that makes it OK. Been watching Fox? Who, coincidentally I'm sure, owned them right as they turned to ****.

IGN can't embellish video game entertainment headlines to gain viewership because Fox is notorious for misconstruing news facts to fit their propaganda?

Of course, but they intentionally bait them with moronic articles about something having one thing that the other system doesn't or whatever else they can think of to incite nerdrage.

And I'll still turn it around and say it's very sad that someone on a video game site and can't make a blog style article about how much they like a system exclusive without having stupid flame wars erupt in the comments.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#54glory of power metalPosted 2/24/2013 4:31:14 PM
Oh, and two more things to add. One, I'll reiterate how silly it is that one of the most often repeated arguments about why IGN sucks is that in 2006 a reviewer gave God Hand a bad score when the game was otherwise fairly well received. Like really guys? Is that honestly how far you have to reach in order to say something other than "IGN sucks cuz I said so?"

And then the other one that got brought up that I forgot about was was the ME2 vs UC 2 thing. It's funny how when it gets mentioned, there's never more than one sentence. "IGN/Greg Miller says that if you Like UC 2 more than ME 2 you're a fanboy." Here's what was actually said:

The thing that a lot of people missed, however, is that Mass Effect 2 is indeed a better game than Uncharted 2, and I don't know how readers can be so blinded by their fanboyism to deny it.

Now, I'll agree that's not the classiest statement in the world, but at least be fair and don't misconstrue a statement entirely out of context. That was said in response to a huge ugly flame war that broke out because ME 2 was given a .1 better score than UC 2 (and let's not forget that IGN even ****ing awarded UC 2 goty the year before), and then Greg Miller went on to back up entirely why he felt that way.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#55ChaoticKnucklesPosted 2/26/2013 8:14:40 AM
tmons78 posted...
mogar002 posted...
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
mogar002 posted...
They said if you like Uncharted 2 more than Mass Effect 2 you are a fanboy.

Who said that? I've never heard that before.

Greg Miller

If you want the article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/02/03/ps3-perspective-mass-effect-2-is-better-than-uncharted

I appreciate the link, never read that article before. I can understand why people took offense to the way that article started out, but by the end of it he basically says that it's just his opinion. His real gripe wasn't about the games themselves but about system fanboys who can't acknowledge when a game that's exclusive to a competing system is actually really good and potentially better than an exclusive on their chosen console. I think we can all agree that fanboyism for anything is a problem.

But I can actually understand that article being a reason why people dislike IGN. Although I will say that while it doesn't personally make me dislike IGN as whole, it would probably make me dislike Greg Miller more if I didn't dislike him already. What I'm having a difficult time with is the other reasons people are giving. The God Hand review? Opinion, like all reviews are. Typos? Those are everywhere across the entire Internet, not just IGN. Gamefaqs is rampant with typos all the time yet here you all are. And them being paid for favorable reviews? Where is there any proof of that?

Everyone keeps throwing that out as if it's a fact when there's never been any proof of that for IGN or any other gaming website or publication for that matter. The closest example is that Gamespot fiasco where the company threatened to pull advertising and not give them advance copies of any more of their games due to a bad review. But that's not the same thing as paying for scores and it's one incident. So why does IGN get all the hate when the things that people are complaining about happen everywhere? Shouldn't you hate all review sites then?
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#56Cecil255Posted 2/26/2013 8:50:19 AM(edited)
I never had anything against IGN until their Double Dragon: Neon review. DDN was literally the best beat 'em up I had ever played, the developers put their heart and soul into that game and it shows... and IGN gives it a 3/10.

3/10.

A score that for their scale they would only assign to bottom of the barrel games. I'm sorry, I can't take a review site seriously after that. Here's part of the comment I posted on their review:

I recently looked through your page that covers what IGN Game Reviews are all about...

"We strive to pair up games with the person who knows the brand, the genre, and the style of game, so as to offer the most expert opinions. We also aim to find writers who care." <- You did not live up to that standard in this review.

"No review happens in a vacuum though. Thus each review goes through a rigorous back-and-forth editing process that pulls in multiple team members to make sure we’re stating things clearly and as accurately as possible. That said, we would never want to silence the voice and opinion of our other editors." <- This review must have missed the boat on its 'rigorous back-and-forth editing process'.

Now, I don't hate IGN or automatically assume their reviews are garbage, but that single review put a bad taste in my mouth. I don't doubt that most everyone else there is trying to do a good job and has a passion for video games. BUT...

Gametrailers > all.
#57tmons78Posted 2/26/2013 9:30:39 AM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
I appreciate the link, never read that article before. I can understand why people took offense to the way that article started out, but by the end of it he basically says that it's just his opinion. His real gripe wasn't about the games themselves but about system fanboys who can't acknowledge when a game that's exclusive to a competing system is actually really good and potentially better than an exclusive on their chosen console. I think we can all agree that fanboyism for anything is a problem.

I agree about fanboyism. It is a big problem everywhere, not to mention these boards.

Also, I don't personally hate IGN. They have some good staff, some not so good. Just like everywhere else. I just remembered that article (was able to find it pretty fast), and think it's funny what Greg Miller said.
#58whatnow12012Posted 2/26/2013 9:39:40 AM
IGN.com is merely speculations or rumors they had a new PS4 article every hour with something new most of it was FALSE not TRUE.

They post up articles that are not from the official source such as Dragon Age 3s deal about it skipping and going all next gen. This was just an EA Employee not an Bioware Employee not from the makers of the game or the Director of Dragon Age.

So until Bioware announces it officially treat that as a rumor. The Director tweeted via twitter that DA 3 Is still on schedule for 2013 but then again so does the PS4.

But you also have to look at the fact that they told us to keep the previous saves this couldnt work on the PS4 side of things cause the PS4 dosent work with previous Gens so neither would there saves.

But then I also heard that Bioware was either making an Interactive Comic or a Pre-History like DA 2 had meaning if you didnt import you can select from PRE-HISTORY meaning pre-rendered choices already made up & done for you.

So maybe the IGN.com article was right all along considering EA is bringing BattleField 4 to PS4 maybe DA 3 will indeed be next gen only but until officially announced I will hope it will be DUAL such as DIABLO.

Mainly I hate on IGN cause they dont post up the real stuff, most are false but they do post up a lot more than most & I appreciate them for that but most is cryptic.

I dont hate on IGN.com but they do make me mad and I dont go by there reviews I go buy mine. I would rather trust my 20+ years of Videogame experience than IGNs.
#59NettoSaitoPosted 2/26/2013 10:10:28 AM
Basically if IGN gives a game a 8.9999999999 or lower, everyone who loved the game rages and believes it deserved a perfect score. That's where all of the IGN hate comes from lol
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
Netto's Game Room - http://nettosgameroom.blogspot.com/