This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why have gamers become so bitter?

#121dearestnightPosted 2/22/2013 10:37:52 PM
Too many to quote, but as another who has been around long enough as an adult to remember, I firmly agree with the group who has pointed to the internet as a factor of aggravation. That's not to say that the fanboy-ism and console wars weren't present. On the contrary, they definitely have been around for quite some time, but they weren't quite as toxic, and neither were the gamers (then again, anything prior to the internet is based subjectively on our experiences).

The ability to be anonymous has resulted in the removal of what I call the "Worth a punch?" syndrome. We've always had asses and bullies, lacking in empathy or common human respect, but for the average person, debates and arguments really came down to how toxic you were willing to become with that person. How far you would go to prove your point? Was what you were saying really important enough to you, to get genuinely heated and cause conflict?

For many in the internet era, they have grown up with a foundation in the idea that they can say anything they want to anyone, with zero consequences (parenting is a factor as well, always has been, and is definitely more lax nowadays). That combined with many forms of instant communication, means what it comes to a product you have fewer hoops to jump through to complain, and in turn, companies feel a stronger need to pander due to a much greater exposure to their consumer base. Those two things play a huge role in feeling entitled. In a way, they are treated as though they -are-.

Just my personal experiences and opinions here, but as an aside that does relate, I can say when it comes to internet culture....if my father had caught me behaving how so many kids conduct themselves online today, back then? May as well paint a bullseye on my ass...lol.

TL;DR: Everyone is a special unique anonymous snowflake, and upset that other special unique snowflakes, don't respect how special their snowy opinions are, so they debate grievously. Gaming just got the ass end of it, for being a perfect industry to form sides on,.
#122gamestop27Posted 2/22/2013 10:54:57 PM
I'm bitter, but not because of the crap TC is talking about. I'm bitter because the bulls*** practices publishers have been implementing in the last few years to combat used games and the moronic gamers who try to stick up for them.
---
The one weakness of any protagonist or hero-like character is a Cut Scene.~ KaiserNeko
#123diebuster2Posted 2/22/2013 11:06:32 PM
SandOnMyBoot posted...
Minamo posted...
Because publishers and developers continually rip off gamers with DLC, season passes, online passes, broken games, "ultimate" editions half a year later, and are even resorting to straight-up lying (A:CM, War Z) to make a sale.

It also doesn't help that we are now able to clearly find out and see how many and what games aren't being localized and never being able to play them. Genres like Horror and 3D Platformers are barren, so if you are a fan of those (I am), then obviously you are going to be bitter.

This is defintely one of the big reasons. Also, Internet.

Another reason I think is that gaming has hit sort of a ceiling. Back in the day, moving from 8-bit to 16-bit (Genesis/SNES) games was a huge thing, completely changed the way a game could be played. Same with the shift from 16-bit to full-on 3D (PS1/N64). The PS1 to PS2 shift also greatly raised the bar for the capabilities and gameplay of 3D games. But with this PS360Wii gen, it's like there's not much left to explore. There hasn't been much of a big, non-gimmicky change to the fundamentals of gameplay in a while, and it's kind of disheartening.

This.
---
One does not simply state a reasonable, negative opinion on GameFAQS without being called a troll.
#124blackhrtPosted 2/22/2013 11:08:26 PM
Would anyone of us be bitter if we knew that if any developers read this and just howled with laughter knowing they have their hands on the buttons controlling what happens and we get the end result? They can get interviewed and recorded for quotes and say what we want to hear but as they walk away they have smirks on their faces?

Because I feel like a lot more developers do that.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#125Cecil255Posted 2/22/2013 11:09:02 PM
Granted, I was only 5 in August 1991 but I don't think the debates were nearly as ridiculous. Maybe it is just the Internet. I always loved Nintendo, but I enjoyed playing Sonic 2 at my cousin's house and a couple of sports games on the Genesis.

This generation of gamers is extremely whiny.
#126Afrotastic_JPosted 2/22/2013 11:24:22 PM
The internet, that's why.
---
"I... am... KROGAN!" -- Urdnot Grunt
#127Willie_MakeitPosted 2/22/2013 11:28:25 PM
The internet happened since the 16 bit era.
---
Sig.
#128ajko000Posted 2/22/2013 11:31:09 PM
RollingCradle posted...
You were just too young to remember all the heated SNES vs Genesis debates, son.

This right here.
#129jrr18Posted 2/22/2013 11:37:23 PM
Willie_Makeit posted...
The internet happened since the 16 bit era.

But it only got big in the last ten years. APPLE PIE IS DELICIOUS!
---
Victory over the space pirates through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#130Toxicum_SPosted 2/23/2013 12:04:06 AM
This is because of internet.
Peoples always just the same, but now they have a better way to give vent to his rage.
As for fanboys...its just those narrow-minded people, nothing more.
In the middle ages they would be religious fanatics and burn people at the stake. :)