This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why have gamers become so bitter?

#141AwesomePS3gamerPosted 2/23/2013 1:43:53 PM
RollingCradle posted...
You were just too young to remember all the heated SNES vs Genesis debates, son.

No, it was never as heated as now, don't lie to make yourself better about being a fanboy in this era.
#142king_maddenPosted 2/23/2013 2:46:08 PM
fanboys are way more whiny now days, Ive been around gaming since the atari days, and anyone who says the hate was worse then have no idea what they are talking about. maybe in their small circle, but not as a whole.

name one reason why it would be worse then than now?

with all the entitlement, and cockiness of gamers these days, theres no way.
#143bh7812Posted 2/23/2013 5:17:01 PM
Quote:I think a lot of it has to do with just how things are these days as to when a lot of us were kids growing up to Atari, NES, SNES, Master System, Gen. etc etc. Each new console was a HUGE leap from the previous one. We all had to go through the major upgrades and changes of the game industry. Nowadays people, kids, are growing up with the PS3, 360 and Wii, so they didn't have to go through all the things we did as kids.

Without going into detail, my sis and step father were having this huge argument yesterday. She's 17 and I had to get it through her head that things she complains about these days are so petty as opposed to "when I was a kid" (im 31). We had beepers and cell phones were for emergency only. I was lucky if I had a tape player in my car that had manual locks and manual windows. She's gotta worry about whether or not her car is gonna have bluetooth and which smartphone to get. I'm not saying she doesn't have her own problems for this day and age, but I think this is why there is such a huge difference between gamers from the 16bit era and today.

The jumps between each system upgrade were so much more impactful than they are now. For example going from the first Zelda to Link to the past was like holy freakin crap. It's just not really like that anymore.

@gldoorii

This post got it exactly. Especially that last paragraph about how the jumps between each system were so much more impactful. From PS3 to PS4 the leap will be very incremental and not at all with the impact there was going from NES to Super NES. I still remember very clearly the week before I saw a Super NES in person for the first time. Was playing my NES games which I loved and what so many others were still doing at the end of August 1991. The following week, I walked into the Wal Mart near me that had been open only a few weeks, and could very distinctly hear Mario's jumping noise coming from the electronics department! I had some idea what some of the sound effects in Mario World sounded like thanks to the SMW cartoon that had just premiered the Saturday before on NBC. I ran to the electronics dept and holy crap, there was a real, working brand new Super NES that had the newest Mario Game running on it. The all new 16 bit Nintendo in all it's glory. It was just like the commercials for SMW said..the colors brighter, the graphics more vivid, 16 bit stereo sound. I proceeded to play that game for the next 2 hours..the Super NES was just hooked up to the tv, no fancy display. They had to kick me out and I wanted to buy one bad, when I got home although I still loved the NES and it's games I never looked at it the same way again after seeing that SNES, it was just that impact of seeing the dramatic leap from 8 to 16 bit that struck me. We will never see that again. To me, not even the leap from the SNES to the 64 had quite that much impact since they were starting to dabble in 3D games a bit on the SNES so I figured that was the next big leap,
---
Sent from my iPad via PowerGuides 1.10
#144boofiePosted 2/23/2013 7:37:48 PM
AwesomePS3gamer posted...
RollingCradle posted...
You were just too young to remember all the heated SNES vs Genesis debates, son.

No, it was never as heated as now, don't lie to make yourself better about being a fanboy in this era.

I'd rank it as being less heated now. As far as I can tell nowadays nobody is drawing pictures of Sony mascots getting brutally killed and sending it in to be published in magazines. And the magazines would actually stick that crap all over their inbox pages.
#145IngSlayerPosted 2/23/2013 9:01:16 PM
RollingCradle posted...

A lot of what you're talking about is simply due to the internet. If the majority of the people on this board had to have a conversation about one of these topics in person, their views would dramatically change because they are not protected by the anonymity of the internet.

RollingCradle posted...

A lot of what you're talking about is simply due to the internet. If the majority of the people on this board had to have a conversation about one of these topics in person, their views would dramatically change because they are not protected by the anonymity of the internet.

RollingCradle posted...

Stop quoting these please. It's been done enough.
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#146LoveSheepPosted 2/26/2013 9:10:14 AM
This console generation is why gamers are so bitter.

Excessive DRM

Faulty machines

Destroyed Franchises

Partial games released at full price

Shovelware

Nickel and Dime-ing in every form imaginable.
---
I rather buy games for consoles then buy consoles for games.
If a game needs DLC to be worth playing it is not worth playing at all
#147secondhand1Posted 2/26/2013 9:32:14 AM
LoveSheep posted...

Excessive DRM

Destroyed Franchises

Gamers are bitter because they only think about themselves and have exactly zero understanding about how anything works?
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#148LoveSheepPosted 2/26/2013 9:42:31 AM
secondhand1 posted...
LoveSheep posted...

Excessive DRM

Destroyed Franchises

Gamers are bitter because they only think about themselves and have exactly zero understanding about how anything works?

To answer your question yes I know how things work...
Problem is nothing this generation works.
DRM making games unplayable.
Do you know why pirated games are better then store bought games? No DRM.
---
I rather buy games for consoles then buy consoles for games.
If a game needs DLC to be worth playing it is not worth playing at all
#149vejetaPosted 2/26/2013 9:51:07 AM
RollingCradle posted...

This.
---
SSBB FC: 0302 - 1298 - 2022 Name: Jab
PSN: Jab_187
#150secondhand1Posted 2/26/2013 10:40:45 AM
LoveSheep posted...
To answer your question yes I know how things work...
Problem is nothing this generation works.
DRM making games unplayable.
Do you know why pirated games are better then store bought games? No DRM.

That's funny. I've never had an issue playing any game I've ever bought for any platform.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.