This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 & 720 have 8GB DDR3 so does this stuff matter at all ?

#1Kano92Posted 2/22/2013 8:51:34 PM
I checked newegg and they don't even have GDDR5 ram for PC motherboards. They have 240-Pin DDR3 modules for sale. I thought sony was going to get easily available pc parts to build the PS4 to save money and not use that custom stuff they had for the ps3.

So let me get this straight, for pc's video cards have GDDR5 ram on the vid cards, and you have separate ram on the motherboard. So in the case of the PS4 the GPU will be on it's own but share the systems GDDR5 8GB ram ? so in totall the system has 8GB of ram for all it's components to use ? I assume that the 720 gpu will also share the DRR3 8GB with the rest of the system too ?

By doing this way Sony may have to raise the cost of the system higher than they would if they would of just used DDR3 ram ?

MS could sell the 720 cheaper and it would appeal to more buyers, just a thought.

Last thought this ram specs in the end does it pretty much mean nothing and were thinking into this one item to much ?
#2HomstarRunnerPosted 2/22/2013 8:53:36 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
---
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars - The greatest PSN game you've never played
The new PSN store is a train wreck.
#3jammiesPosted 2/22/2013 9:00:12 PM
No, it doesn't matter at all on the PS3 board.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#4midgarPosted 2/22/2013 9:01:35 PM
GDD5 has been used in GPUs for years, it's not some new fangled cutting edge technology that will drive PS4 prices up. It's just not
commonly used for system ram as well, which is why there's more of it opposed to the standard 1.5-4GB used in most video cards.

Not a big deal, IMO.
---
[This sig has been stabbed by Ray Lewis]
#5ShineboxerPosted 2/22/2013 9:46:43 PM
Doesn't even matter, that Memory won't make the games look any better and DDR3 is already complete overkill for a console.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#6brycemorrPosted 2/22/2013 10:15:27 PM
GDDR5 RAM runs faster then normal DDR5 Ram. I'm hopeing that it will provide less glitches and better stability for the PS4.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#7CondemnatnWingsPosted 2/22/2013 10:36:06 PM
GDDR5 RAM runs faster then normal DDR5 Ram. I'm hopeing that it will provide less glitches and better stability for the PS4.

LOL
#8ExtremeLightPosted 2/22/2013 10:45:06 PM
CondemnatnWings posted...

LOL

That is nothing to laugh at. It's true. They even said it was less lag/glitches and more stability. This mean that exclusive will run fluidly.

So yes TC, it does matter.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#9izza20Posted 2/22/2013 11:10:39 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
CondemnatnWings posted...

LOL

That is nothing to laugh at. It's true. They even said it was less lag/glitches and more stability. This mean that exclusive will run fluidly.

Less lag? Sure. But RAM has absolutely nothing to do with whether a game has glitches or not.
#10CondemnatnWingsPosted 2/22/2013 11:11:58 PM

DDR5 RAM does not exist. GDDR5 ram is dedicated VRAM. For your videocard. Not system ram. I assume you're referring to DDR3 RAM, which is in no way, shape, or form, worse than GDDR5.