This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm still very skeptical that the new Tomb Raider won't be dumbed down.

#1Zora_PrincePosted 2/22/2013 9:40:56 PM(edited)
As of now, we've been a good deal of the game. They've touted combat, survival, stealth a lot. As a stand alone game, it looks decent.

However, we still have yet to see everything that made Tomb Raider so great in the past. I've yet to see a Platforming section that challenging or dangerous. Some of the best moments in the series are going through the areas carefully, knowing that one wrong move will lead you to fall to your doom. I've yet to see that. All I've seen thus far are Uncharted-style scripted moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHB-gjrwzRM

...or literally jumping or climbing something along the path, no problem whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHB-gjrwzRM

There's more to platforming than automatically climbing a wall or rope that is along your way.

I also have yet to see a puzzle. Again, we've been overwhelmed with movie-like movements, stealth, and action, but Tomb Raider has always been a puzzle and platforming game with some action rather than vice versa (which is what Uncharted is). I've yet to see reassurance that it won't be dumbed down simple tasks in which they give you the answer, like in Uncharted. Even if they're like the other three Crystal Dynamic games, I'll be satisfied.

This could be a completely different . I've yet to see anything that made the other games so great.

I really hope I'm proven wrong. Otherwise, this will be the first dumbed down franchise (Splinter Cell, RE, Ninja Gaidan, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, etc.) that will really piss me off.

It will be like what happened to Hitman Absolution. Same basic game with things you recognize from the past but way watered down
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#2AwayFromHerePosted 2/22/2013 9:28:21 PM
Tomb Raider platforming great?

Um...
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3RayconPosted 2/22/2013 9:35:38 PM
It's the way of this generation. Everything gets dumbed down.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#4Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 9:46:29 PM
^This is the first one that's hurting me, though.
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#5RayconPosted 2/22/2013 10:07:09 PM
Zora_Prince posted...

Well, I'm sorry this one in particular has upset you, but it's been going on for a while. I'm not any happier about it, ESPECIALLY when it happened to DmC. It's one of the major reasons I'm putting games aside completely. I have absolutely no interest in next generation. They don't make them like they used to, and the fun gets sucked out of it in the process for me.

Just my thoughts, anyway.
---
#6Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 10:12:17 PM
Raycon posted...
Zora_Prince posted...

Well, I'm sorry this one in particular has upset you, but it's been going on for a while. I'm not any happier about it, ESPECIALLY when it happened to DmC. It's one of the major reasons I'm putting games aside completely. I have absolutely no interest in next generation. They don't make them like they used to, and the fun gets sucked out of it in the process for me.

I'm a negative nancy like you when it comes to this next gen. How expensive games are today are hurting creativity and have made the developers take less risks. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. I'd rather they focus on making the next console easier to use and easier and cheaper to develop for rather than graphical power.

Indie games don't seem to be doing much for me either. They all seem like 2D RPGs and Platformers.
---
#7RayconPosted 2/22/2013 10:16:50 PM
Zora_Prince posted...
Raycon posted...
Zora_Prince posted...

I'm a negative nancy like you when it comes to this next gen. How expensive games are today are hurting creativity and have made the developers take less risks. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. I'd rather they focus on making the next console easier to use and easier and cheaper to develop for rather than graphical power.

Indie games don't seem to be doing much for me either. They all seem like 2D RPGs and Platformers.

It's kind of a catch 22, of sorts, it seems like. In any case, I made up my mind about next gen a long time ago. Between abusive DLC practices, games becoming further and further from what started out as (see: Resident Evil), and this "offline" pass nonsense, it was clear things were only going to get worse. I'm sure games will look gorgeous as hell, but if the price for that beauty is content and the things that made games fun, I want nothing to do with it. I was never much of an online player anyway, and if anything, games are only going to focus more and more on it.

So yeah, I guess I'm a negative Nancy, but I have my reasons. Maybe there's some paranoia in there, but I'm seeing the signs and they're not good. Let the people enjoy what pleases them, but it's clearly not for me. I've always got the old stuff to keep me company, after all.
---
#8ThePCElitistPosted 2/22/2013 10:24:01 PM
AwayFromHere posted...

Um...

Oh I guess you like Uncharted's "hold right" to auto-platform the whole game? You do nothing in those games as nearly everything is so automated.
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, MSI GTX 680 2GB Lightning
#9Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 10:47:26 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
AwayFromHere posted...

Um...

Oh I guess you like Uncharted's "hold right" to auto-platform the whole game? You do nothing in those games as nearly everything is so automated.

This.
---
#10ZoraPrincessPosted 2/22/2013 11:00:28 PM
Raycon posted...
Zora_Prince posted...

Then stick with past generations. I just started Tomb Raider II for the first time tonight and am loving it. Play PS1 and PS2 games. Buy a system you never played this generation or last generation and play it (I barely own any gamecube games and need to get an Xbox). Go PC gaming. Play more handhelds.
---
I hate farting