This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blinking red light.

#1HyperProtomanXPosted 2/22/2013 10:05:02 PM
Last night around 4 am I was playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. After completing chapter R-03, my PS3 suddenly turned off and started a blinking red light.

Flicked the main power switch, turned on, it tried to check the system file, but turned off while doing that. Pressed the main power switch again and pulled the plug.

Took three hours of sleep and checked it again.

It didn't check the system file when I turned it on, but a quick look indicated everything was there.

I decided to back up anyway. I tried to check if there was any way to back up files on PC, since I don't have a big enough USB flash drive. I've left it for about a minute, it turns off again, blinking red light.

60 GB, it's five and half years old, EU. Is my system a goner?

Any way to quickly back up files?
---
Not changing this sig before cows fly!
#2Aero_SlasherPosted 2/22/2013 10:16:17 PM
Get yourself some SD Cards and PS+, if you want to backup protected savefiles, and get ready, because that thing is going croak
#3Hucast9Posted 2/22/2013 10:17:52 PM
Do you see a yellow flash for an instant before the red blinking lights? If so, then you got ylod.
#4HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 10:29:15 PM(edited)
So you're suggesting I try to back up one save quickly at a time or something? I'm not all that familiar with Playstation Plus, used it very little, and that was during the Welcome Back Program, how exactly does it help?

EDIT 1: I wasn't looking at it exactly when it started blinking, so I'm not sure if there was a yellow light or not. I'm scared to just turn it on now, actually.

EDIT 2: Turned it on, stayed on long enough to check the file system and trophy sync. I suppose it can stay on for a minute or two. At least.

So the Playstation Plus allows you to back up saves online? Nice idea, but not sure how well that would work. See, my connection is damn slow since I take my PS3 online by using my phone as an access point. The speed is about 3MB per minute.
---
#5WantedOutlawPosted 2/22/2013 10:29:47 PM
If you have a disc game in it, get it out while you can. Back up your saves if it'll let you too.
If it's breaking it's breaking. You waiting to turn it on isn't going to fix it.
#6HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 11:05:57 PM(edited)
Got the game out. Well, I'm going to need more SD cards and USB flash drives. I'll see if I can find any.

EDIT: This might be easier than I first thought. I took a look at all my games, and, well, most of these are stuff that, were I to replay them, I'd start from scratch, so backing them up isn't necessary, for the most part. There's a few exceptions, like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy, but the rest, they don't matter.

EDIT 2: Copying some saves... Why does the main backup utility say I'd need 41 GB to back everything up when individual saves are much smaller, in fact the few GB on my USB flash drive might be enough? Does it count game data?
---
#7HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 2:04:19 AM(edited)
Got all the saves I wanted to keep on my USB flash drive (except for my PS1 and PS2 saves of the games I have physical copies of, of course).

I think the problem might be the disc drive. I tried playing Jet Set Radio HD, no problem, works like it should, doesn't turn off by itself. I'll try putting the first Assassin's Creed in, since I got an extra copy of that with Revelations.

EDIT: Seems to work actually... Strange. I'll put Uncharted 3 in to try another sort of disc, even if there's a risk.
---
#8HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 2:07:47 AM
Damn! It did it again, but I was at my coffee maker, waiting for it to load, so I didn't see if there was a yellow light or not. I'll try again in a moment...
---
#9HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 2:21:14 AM
Got it. It was a yellow light.

R.I.P. My dear PS3. You served me well.
---
#10graveyoutoPosted 2/23/2013 4:57:07 AM
It not that bad you just need to pry it open and reapply some type of heat resistent stuff to the CPU. if you youtub it it has all the steps on how to do it.I wish I would of known about the ylod when my bc ps3 kicked it I would of keept it insted of sending it in to get refurbised
---
Go away im bay'ting