This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HELP please. HDMI, PS3 and TV questions.

#1xPercivala2536xPosted 2/23/2013 12:13:07 AM
I own this, purchased today from a shop, not new, but in good condition.

http://tv.rca.com/product/spec.asp?modelnum=LED24A45RQ

It's a 24 inch LED 1080p full HD television.

I don't know if I'm missing something completely simple here or what is going on.

I have had an HDMI cord for ever now, and I've never used it until today.

I previously had an older style monitor that actually looked great with my 360 hooked up through VGA. it was clear and crisp. It didn't have HDMI when I purchased my older 60GB PS3 used the other day so I bought a TV that did today.

Problem is, even though the specs on the RCA site look good, the TV doesn't seem to be good.

I hooked up the HDMI to the PS3 and the TV, and initially the PS Home menu was crisp and good looking, and it was on automatic display settings. I popped in Killzone 2, and it goes down to 720p like expected, but then, upon gameplay, it actually is very grainy, and almost pixelated. Same with Resistance 2, literally when I see explosions or the bullets from one of the machine gunes are just pixel balls almost. In Infamous 1 and 2, explosions and zoom shots are incredibly pixelated.

Also, when I hooked my Xbox up via VGA to this TV, everything was large and awkward, and not as crisp as before. I made sure to pick the correct display setting on that too.

Im just confused as to why the TV looks so bad, or is it the HDMI cable, but if it was the cable, why would VGA look so bad when it looked fine on the older monitor. It has that feeling like all the writing is abnormally large, and things aren't the right size, like when you watch Standard def TV on a HD screen, it's kinda funky.

Please help, suggestions, the TV does not have Game mode btw.
---
"I ran into a mexican dragon earlier, he used Unrelenting Force, but it came out TA COB ELL..." - blasterfaster443
#2RyuuHou25Posted 2/23/2013 12:15:56 AM
Older PS3 games are pixelated......you don't say......
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#3xPercivala2536x(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 12:19:22 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...

?? Really? I guess that makes sense in the respect that I threw in the KIllzone 3 demo included with one of the games I bought and it wasn't too bad. But then if thats the case, why is Black Ops looking so bad.

I plugged the HDMI into my 360, and upon entering an MP match, all the HUD features are partially off screen, like it's in zoom mode, when it's not. The current aspect is normal, out of normal/wide/cinema/zoom. I don't understand it.
---
"I ran into a mexican dragon earlier, he used Unrelenting Force, but it came out TA COB ELL..." - blasterfaster443
#4RyuuHou25Posted 2/23/2013 12:23:40 AM
xPercivala2536x posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

?? Really? I guess that makes sense in the respect that I threw in the KIllzone 3 demo included with one of the games I bought and it wasn't too bad. But then if thats the case, why is Black Ops looking so bad.

I plugged the HDMI into my 360, and upon entering an MP match, all the HUD features are partially off screen, like it's in zoom mode, when it's not. The current aspect is normal, out of normal/wide/cinema/zoom. I don't understand it.

I honestly don't know if it's your TV or if you're just expecting games to look far better than they are actually able to, but give you the benefit of the doubt here.....

Try changing your TVs settings, it could be they're all screwy for some reason.

Barring that....it could just be you got a lemon TV. It happens, especially if you're buying used ones.

If it was your HDMI cord being a pain, believe me, the issues you'd see on screen would be far more obvious.
---
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5xPercivala2536x(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 12:27:28 AM
In general whats a good way to set up the screen. It has 3 color temps, and I can control brightness, contrast, sharpness and color. Sharpness seems to be better at like 30 than the standard 50. As for contrast, it does almost nothing past 50, but gets darker like normal below 50. Brightness washes it out past 50.
---
#6RyuuHou25Posted 2/23/2013 12:31:49 AM
xPercivala2536x posted...
In general whats a good way to set up the screen. It has 3 color temps, and I can control brightness, contrast, sharpness and color. Sharpness seems to be better at like 30 than the standard 50. As for contrast, it does almost nothing past 50, but gets darker like normal below 50. Brightness washes it out past 50.

That stuff is entirely subjective unfortunately, it's all about your own personal preferences.
---
#7copycat2008Posted 2/23/2013 12:33:01 AM
press your ps home, when you scroll left to right does those icons look blurry when they moved? but looks crisp when it stop?

cuz i had this problem before it was doing this to fallout3. untill i had to go to Display settings and fix it there, you have to wait a few mins until it sets itself.
#8xPercivala2536x(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 12:40:55 AM
I'm not sure anymore. I just played the MG:Rising demo on Xbox with the HDMI hooked up, and that game is gorgeous. Black Ops II just looks bigger, I was gaming on a 19 inch before, and I have been sitting the same distance away, but maybe thats it. Infamous 2 looked better than Infamous 1, by a lot, except the explosion at the beginning on the pier was horrendously pixelated. Just loaded up MG:R demo with VGA and HDMI just looks so much better. It's colorless and washed out with VGA, and I haven't touched the setting since switching the two out.

Is there a decent HDMI cable that I can get for not too expensive. I can pick up 2 of them tomorrow cuz the one I have now doesn't seem to great. And it's like 1 foot long.
---
#9xPercivala2536x(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 12:49:05 AM
I just searched through the Resistance 2 board and there was a topic about pixelated bullet/blood and other random effects, and how he played the game at a friends on his HDTV and it looked fine, but his 42 inch 1080p tv playing it in 720p made it pixely like my problem. He said switching to component cables got rid of his issue, which is weird, but the component cables can't be to expensive or hard to find.
---