This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only one who thinks ''We do NOT need a next gen console...yet'' ???

#11CrossRavenPosted 2/23/2013 12:49:04 AM
It's not so much that we need a next gen, so much as we need something to push the development of new IPs. We're not really getting many(yes there are some, but few IMO, great ones coming), and this gen is at the point where it's just killing time until the next AC/COD/Halo/whateverfranchise game.

There is so much stigma around what sells and what works this gen that MAYBE(though probably not likely) a new gen will change perceptions so we're not stuck waiting for the next sandbox/fps/3ps/WRPG. Of course, it's more likely that the problem gets worse if development costs rise significantly, as then they can't really justify making anything that won't sell.

It'll be interesting to see if the PS4 and next Xbox can avoid the self fulfilling prophecy that each new console/handheld has faced. That is the "there are no games so it's not worth buying", causing developers to not make games for the systems because nobody has bought one, which means nobody buys one because it has no games. It's cyclical, I guess. This is a stupid thing, since early support would guarantee that there would be enough stuff to play to justify your purchase over the next six years. Or, I am just mad that I have a Vita and Wii U and Rayman got delayed...who knows.
---
"Give me a Y....Give me an R....Give me a Break" - Yuna, Rikku and Paine
Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Cross Raven
#12EchidneysPosted 2/23/2013 1:00:50 AM
What is with this trend where everyone keeps on thinking newer, better hardware only supplements graphics and visuals?
---
PSN: Echidneys | 3DS: 4468 1242 8413
"It sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it."
#13HorrorSindicatePosted 2/23/2013 1:09:55 AM
CrossRaven posted...
It's not so much that we need a next gen, so much as we need something to push the development of new IPs. We're not really getting many(yes there are some, but few IMO, great ones coming), and this gen is at the point where it's just killing time until the next AC/COD/Halo/whateverfranchise game.

There is so much stigma around what sells and what works this gen that MAYBE(though probably not likely) a new gen will change perceptions so we're not stuck waiting for the next sandbox/fps/3ps/WRPG. Of course, it's more likely that the problem gets worse if development costs rise significantly, as then they can't really justify making anything that won't sell.

It'll be interesting to see if the PS4 and next Xbox can avoid the self fulfilling prophecy that each new console/handheld has faced. That is the "there are no games so it's not worth buying", causing developers to not make games for the systems because nobody has bought one, which means nobody buys one because it has no games. It's cyclical, I guess. This is a stupid thing, since early support would guarantee that there would be enough stuff to play to justify your purchase over the next six years. Or, I am just mad that I have a Vita and Wii U and Rayman got delayed...who knows.

I don't get the logic that new IPs have to be reserved for new Tech. Seems like it would be cheaper and you'd have built in installbase if you made your new IPs at the middle or tail end of a Console Cycle.

Hell, if anything I usually buy new tech for proven brands and experiment once I have the Console.
---
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder
#14HorrorSindicatePosted 2/23/2013 1:12:22 AM
Echidneys posted...
What is with this trend where everyone keeps on thinking newer, better hardware only supplements graphics and visuals?

Because AI is still **** and larger open worlds don't appeal to everyone... It's what most devs end up using the tools for. There are other ways to use the tools they're given but generally they don't bother.
---
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder
#15MV6000Posted 2/23/2013 1:21:46 AM
Jx1010 posted...
Why not focus instead on:

- Better quality games in something BESIDES GRAPHICS

- Original games instead of more sequels

- Sony making the PS Move available to most games like Borderlands 2 for shooters, Call of Duty, MGRising for hack and slash, etc

- Bringing more PS1 and PS2 games to PSN for PS3

I can just see this next gen console war with the same problems PLUS new problems (first day DLC, repetitive sequels, yearly sequels, focusing only on graphics, etc )

I agree. I don't think we are ready for the next Gen.
---
Proud owner of a PS3 / 360 / Wii
http://psnprofiles.com/MV6000
#16Devilman_AmonPosted 2/23/2013 1:27:31 AM
CrossRaven posted...

Yes that explains the Vita curse right now.

Developers in Japan are still catering to the PSP because of it. Sony not fully accepting the Vita over the PSP is not helping either; while Nintendo has all but abandoned the NDS for the 3DS, thus making developers want to develop on it over the NDS (despite its former huger install base)

Vita is actually doing better sales wise in the West than it is in the East.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#17NiBuEAPosted 2/23/2013 2:47:07 AM
New IPs are more common at the start of the generation, new hardware allows new gameplay possibilities, PSEye possibly being included with each PS4 makes PSMove support in more games likely.
#18thesnoopmeisterPosted 2/23/2013 2:48:32 AM
We dont need it, but the industry does.
#19NeoSioTypePosted 2/23/2013 5:25:13 AM
By comparing the production values of Oblivion to Skyrim, you should realize the ps3 was capable of Skyrim at launch.
#20killakPosted 2/23/2013 5:26:16 AM
No you're not alone. I see no point in a new gen, when it's all going to be about visuals and connectivity/social networking
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na