This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After playing Ni No Kuni, FFXIII, Xenoblade, Tales of G, etc...

#41mMarikomPosted 2/24/2013 11:09:58 PM
SpacePirateSeal posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...
Lord_Kagato posted...
Play Persona 3 and 4.

make sure you tell him that theyre 70% dialogue dating sims, so you dont mislead him.

Not a dating sim it's a visual novel.

P3P was a visual novel. Any persona where you can move is a dating sim. After 2 anyways
---
PSN: Arent_We_Clever
3DS Friend Code: 2234 8016 4687 Nickname: Mariko
#42LtMessiahDM504Posted 2/25/2013 2:39:29 AM
I'm not kidding when I say that I grinder through the borefest that was xenoblade by spamming the side/back attack until the final boss. If I recall correctly, these are two of the very first abilities you get in the game. Grinding through "harder" enemies usually equates to simply doing the above attacks over and over until the enemy falls. Xenonlade was and is a disgrace to the xeno-series, but that bias has nothing to do with the shoddy battle system.

I am sorry but that is completely unbelievable. First off, why never change characters? Second, never doing chain attacks, topple or daze? Tension building?

It's also pretty silly that you would force yourself through this long ass game JUST playing as Shulk and doing the same two attacks over and over again. Sorry but I can't believe that at all. I am not saying Xenoblade's battle system is the greatest as I prefer the Tales series, but to say its shoddy, or claim you never had to change strategies since the very first few enemies is just a flat out lie.

But I wouldn't expect the truth from someone who claims FFX is anything but pass out from boredom easy. So I will leave you with this.

HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA
#43Wario_manPosted 2/25/2013 2:42:28 AM
I hate turn based. I hope it is gone forever, it is garbage. I don't even really want it in Pokemon but they can't seem to imagine making the games without it sooo..
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#44king_maddenPosted 2/25/2013 2:48:42 AM
im with you TC, I dont know why it gets so much hate.

when most people name their top rpg games turn based games are usually at the top.
#45Stunning SteveAustinPosted 2/25/2013 3:05:13 AM
I agree that turn-based rpgs are better than action-based ones any day. In a turn-based game, every turn counts, and can be utilized for maximum efficiency. Arpgs on the other hand, not only is the balancing thrown off due to it being real time (see: magic in FFXII being useless), there are so many things than can get in the way of doing anything resembling a practical strategy, on top of having to babysit stupid AI, that the most efficient way to play usually degrades into spamming whatever quick-casting moves allow you to stun-lock an enemy into infinity.

That said, I do enjoy me some arpgs, if they're well-designed (like ToG), but most of them are just move-spamming number bukakke, aimed at instant gratification rather than actual strategic prep-work. It's probably no surprise that the best ones, like Valkyrie Profile, are the ones that incorporate turn-based elements.

And just so people know, FFX is the only turn-based mainline Final Fantasy game. I'm not sure why people use 'Final Fantasy' as an example of turn-based combat, when literally 9 times out of 10 is isn't. It's a hybrid; real-time, except with the condition that you have to wait for your turn (as stupid as that sounds).
---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS
#46_tanjil_Posted 2/25/2013 3:05:32 AM
My problem with problem with action RPGs is... well what makes an RPG?

If you think about it all games are role playing games by definition. What all RPGs have are customization with experience/growth, loot/treasures, long stories and interact-able NPCs And back in the day if it was turn based, then it was an RPG

So what happens if I take Devil May Cry, make the game 5 times longer and add NPCs. Is DMC now an action RPG?.
#47SieKensouPosted 2/25/2013 7:42:26 AM
Stunning SteveAustin posted...
I agree that turn-based rpgs are better than action-based ones any day. In a turn-based game, every turn counts, and can be utilized for maximum efficiency. Arpgs on the other hand, not only is the balancing thrown off due to it being real time (see: magic in FFXII being useless), there are so many things than can get in the way of doing anything resembling a practical strategy, on top of having to babysit stupid AI, that the most efficient way to play usually degrades into spamming whatever quick-casting moves allow you to stun-lock an enemy into infinity.

That said, I do enjoy me some arpgs, if they're well-designed (like ToG), but most of them are just move-spamming number bukakke, aimed at instant gratification rather than actual strategic prep-work. It's probably no surprise that the best ones, like Valkyrie Profile, are the ones that incorporate turn-based elements.

And just so people know, FFX is the only turn-based mainline Final Fantasy game. I'm not sure why people use 'Final Fantasy' as an example of turn-based combat, when literally 9 times out of 10 is isn't. It's a hybrid; real-time, except with the condition that you have to wait for your turn (as stupid as that sounds).

do you know what bukake means? or did you just throw that word in there randomly? >.>
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#48XenoFFvsPosted 2/25/2013 8:24:16 AM
dudupupu posted...
I'm not kidding when I say that I grinder through the borefest that was xenoblade by spamming the side/back attack until the final boss. If I recall correctly, these are two of the very first abilities you get in the game. Grinding through "harder" enemies usually equates to simply doing the above attacks over and over until the enemy falls. Xenonlade was and is a disgrace to the xeno-series, but that bias has nothing to do with the shoddy battle system.

So Xenoblade, possibly the most critically acclaimed Xeno game is a disgrace to the series? Hell, I believe it's even the most critically acclaimed jrpg of the console gen. And I highly doubt you even beat the game if you played it like you say. The story is better than the first two Xenosaga games, the music is some of the best in the series, the exploration is something to behold, the game is just put together better than any other xeno game. If you knew the story you'd like the game, if you only used two attacks the entire game then I doubt you couldve beat the game easily unless you were extremely overleveled.

I am a HUGE Xeno fan btw, I love all 5 games and can't wait for the Wii-U Xeno game to be released.
---
Brawl Code:4639-9502-2693_Razor
PSN ID: xXAnTeRXx
#49theshovellerPosted 2/25/2013 8:29:19 AM
SieKensou posted...
Stunning SteveAustin posted...

do you know what bukake means? or did you just throw that word in there randomly? >.>

Holy crap, that's hilarious.
#50Castiel39Posted 2/25/2013 8:58:01 AM
I agree TC. I'm tired of silly hybrids that are made to attract all kind of players but then they fail at both, turnd-based and action rpgs. At least Ni No Kuni had a decent battle system.