This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pushing X to Run

#1rfiiPosted 2/24/2013 4:44:35 PM
Does anyone know why so many games still use this ridiculous mechanic even though we now have had joysticks for over 10 years that can control run speed via their amount of tilt? At the very least, if there must be a "walk slow" mode then surely it should be a toggle like in metal gear solid 2.

Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed, GTA, etc. all do this. Uncharted thankfully does not.
---
Sony SZ650NC, 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo, Geforce8400M GS, 2 gigs ram, Win7
#2steker16Posted 2/24/2013 4:48:21 PM
because "immersion"

or something
---
nomnomnom
#3Stanger5150Posted 2/24/2013 4:49:12 PM
I prefer jogging using the analog stick, but I want a button press for full sprint. I don't like the X button being used for this though. I prefer R1 like in the Sly series.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#4You_Need_A_LifePosted 2/24/2013 4:49:29 PM
With sticks, as you said, I don't see why there needs to be a button for sprinting PERIOD.
#5SieKensouPosted 2/24/2013 4:49:39 PM
"push X to run" doesn't really make sense anymore but "push X to walk" does make sense.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#6SieKensouPosted 2/24/2013 4:51:25 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
I prefer jogging using the analog stick, but I want a button press for full sprint. I don't like the X button being used for this though. I prefer R1 like in the Sly series.

that's a good use. i've seen games use this.

so analog stick goes for jogging but pressing a button will put you into a sprint-like speed where you can't control yourself too well. etc..
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#7riddlebox89Posted 2/24/2013 4:52:16 PM
rfii posted...
Does anyone know why so many games still use this ridiculous mechanic even though we now have had joysticks for over 10 years that can control run speed via their amount of tilt? At the very least, if there must be a "walk slow" mode then surely it should be a toggle like in metal gear solid 2.

Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed, GTA, etc. all do this. Uncharted thankfully does not.

Because for the majority of gamers, the mechanic works, the people who complain about it are the minority, which means you're not as important.

There's nothing wrong with having to hold down a button to run/sprint/whateverthehell.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#8You_Need_A_LifePosted 2/24/2013 4:53:26 PM
Soul Reaver. Very light push on the stick made you walk, and pressing harder gradually made you go faster, from a power walk to a slow jog to a run. Same thing with Splinter Cell.

Why do we need extra buttons to do what a single stick can?
#9zyrax2301Posted 2/24/2013 4:55:31 PM
This is how I like it best:

Tap X to sprint
Analog stick = run
Slight tilt = walk

I don't like holding a button to sprint. It sounds weird, but tapping X actually feels better over time because you're constantly moving. In games like Demon's Souls where you have to hold O to sprint, my thumb gets uncomfortable quickly, while playing GTA or something doesn't feel uncomfortable at all.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#10riddlebox89Posted 2/24/2013 4:57:22 PM
You_Need_A_Life posted...
Why do we need extra buttons to do what a single stick can?

Why do we need to complain about the most trivial things when it's not that difficult to adapt and deal with it?

Seriously, it's holding down a button...not that big of an issue, either deal with it or don't buy games that require you to hold down a button, or hell why not buy a game that has one button that makes the game play itself for you?
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.