This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pushing X to Run

#21zyrax2301Posted 2/24/2013 5:53:21 PM
FellDude posted...
rfii posted...
Does anyone know why so many games still use this ridiculous mechanic even though we now have had joysticks for over 10 years that can control run speed via their amount of tilt? At the very least, if there must be a "walk slow" mode then surely it should be a toggle like in metal gear solid 2.

Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed, GTA, etc. all do this. Uncharted thankfully does not.

X to run is a horrible game design choice perfected by Mass Effect 3. Not only is it the run button, it's the 'enter cover' button as well, so if you try to start running and you happen to be near anything odds are you will go into unintended and inadequate 'cover' instead, then get killed by whatever you were trying to run from.

Pretty sure it's also the dodge button. Such a terrible control scheme...
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#22plasticman13Posted 2/24/2013 5:57:33 PM(edited)
This is my only complaint about the Mass Effect franchise. It's so hard to turn corners when you're holding X to run.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#23PoorCountryPosted 2/24/2013 6:05:11 PM
I like it because walking is more relaxing if you don't have to push anything else or be careful how far you tilt the analog stick.
#24XImperialDragonPosted 2/24/2013 6:22:09 PM
The only time X/A to run bothers me is when multiple contextual actions are likewise given to the same button, which creates situations where I'm constantly performing the wrong action.

Hell, given multiple contextual actions to the same button is a problem, in my opinion. It annoyed me in Sonic Adventure 2 with using the bounce attack and light speed dash to the same button (so sometimes you'd spike yourself straight down into a pit, sometimes you'd travel along a ring path). Rinse and repeat this for every other game that does this.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#25neroAngeloPosted 2/24/2013 6:43:22 PM
Past 10 years? We've had controllers with joystick since nearly the dawn of video games. But there is no feedback to the user in terms of how far it's pushed. Who doesn't just full tilt them all the time anyway?
---
PSWii360 - This is how I triforce http://i51.tinypic.com/vctnom.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 7850 2GB
#26glory of power metalPosted 2/24/2013 7:04:55 PM
I hate "dash" mechanics. Come on, just let us run full speed and adjust enemies accordingly. Characters running out of breath after sprinting too long is the worst immersion idea ever. Yeah, the space marines should be winded after a 20 foot dash to remind us that we're all squishy and out of shape, great plan.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#27rfii(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2013 4:53:16 PM
Well I keep thinking about Mario 64 which was in some ways one of the first mainstream console games to take advantage of a joystick that registered different levels of tilt. Control of mario in that game allowed for far more precision and freedom than these modern so-called free running games. But I guess bc Mario is a platformer and these games today are essentially action games, they pay less attention to these things.
---
Sony SZ650NC, 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo, Geforce8400M GS, 2 gigs ram, Win7
#28rfii(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2013 4:54:31 PM
also riddlebox, youre an idiot.
---
Sony SZ650NC, 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo, Geforce8400M GS, 2 gigs ram, Win7
#29SoaringDivePosted 2/27/2013 4:58:31 PM
Control sticks are terribly imprecise and unreliable. Why do you think fighting fans prefer to use arcade sticks? Why do you think most shooters these days incorporate auto-aim? It's because control sticks are crappy for gaming, the only benefit is comfort. So I support using a button for run, it allows me to actually control the game; unless they decide to put two arcade sticks on the PS4 controller.

rfii posted...
Well I keep thinking about Mario 64 which was in some ways one of the first mainstream console games to take advantage of a joystick that registered different levels of tilt. Control of mario in that game allowed for far more precision and freedom than these modern so-called free running games. But I guess bc Mario is a platformer and these games today are essentially action games, they pay less attention to these things.

Mario 64 controls abysmally, and it's impossible to do anything with precision in that game. Seriously, go back and try to play it, it's not possible. There's a reason most of the game was flat and lacked any actual platforming until the last two levels (which are the hardest due to the god awful controls the game has).
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#30Dersu_UzalaPosted 2/27/2013 5:01:07 PM
Because of mouse + keyboard controls.