This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MYTH or FACT: Slim PS3 consoles are more reliable than Fatty PS3s

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. MYTH or FACT: Slim PS3 consoles are more reliable than Fatty PS3s

User Info: JessicaJungxo

JessicaJungxo
4 years ago#1
(when used under the same conditions)

My friend has a refurb fatty for years now, I just bought a Slim PS3.... (we both take good care of our systems)
PSN: Rutgers Student (Killzone 2, Binary Domain)
XBL: Jessica Jung xo (Halo Reach, Halo 4, Gears 2)

User Info: faris_ruhi

faris_ruhi
4 years ago#2
Fact.

The various fat models had failure rates ranging from 5-20%. The slims have a failure rate of around/under 1%.
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Going through backlog in order of release, Current game: Saints Row (360)

User Info: Stanger5150

Stanger5150
4 years ago#3
It's a fact, due to less energy consumption and better design, but the super slims should be even better.
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand

User Info: superbowl54

superbowl54
4 years ago#4
in my experience, slims are much more reliable.

My old BC 60GB had a nasty habit of YLODing like clockwork every 9-10 months or so for years.

I finally said screw it, and got a slim 2 years ago. Haven't had a problem since.

Very similar situation with my Xbox and one of the main reasons I won't buy any of the new consoles at launch.
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC

User Info: nihilist212

nihilist212
4 years ago#5
How is this even debatable?
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
4 years ago#6
Well my Slim just died out of the blue. Shows the GRoD(Green light of Death). Turns on, but no video or sound whatsoever. I even applied new thermal paste, no go, and a reflow couldn't bring it back. But my uncle has a old fatty(could be a 40 or 60 gig never checked) that he just keeps for no good reason, and its still going strong.

But yeah I guess mine just sucked, going to save up and probably get a Super Slim, the GOW bundle looks good, but I just bought the Ultimate combo bundle that comes with 5 GOW games and a controller, so I want to import that European one.
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
4 years ago#7
I would be willing to bet that across the board, the Slim is more reliable, however my personal experience is the opposite.

My first fat PS3 lasted 1 year, 9 months.

My second fat PS3 lasted 4 years, 2 months.

My slim stopped playing blu-ray discs and having system crashes after 4 months. It still plays games but is dying.

I bought all three systems new. Just goes to show that you can take good care of them and still be very unlucky.
"I am not tacking up my living quarters with gaming machines -- I'm not 12. This isn't a damn bedroom with bunk beds and star wars posters in it."

User Info: Troutfisch

Troutfisch
4 years ago#8
I take good care of my consoles and my PS3 FAT 40 GB Model lasted 4-1/2 years (purchased July 2008, YLOD January 2013).

Just picked up a Superslim exactly a week ago. Hopefully it will last me until I decide its time to upgrade to PS4.
PSN: Troutfisch

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
4 years ago#9
Don't the Slims overheat faster (in Summer weather) since they are smaller? They use less energy, but you'd think they would be more fragile.

User Info: JessicaJungxo

JessicaJungxo
4 years ago#10
xenosaga123 posted...
Don't the Slims overheat faster (in Summer weather) since they are smaller? They use less energy, but you'd think they would be more fragile.

idk i mean the slim 360s are regarded as the best xbox 360s
PSN: Rutgers Student (Killzone 2, Binary Domain)
XBL: Jessica Jung xo (Halo Reach, Halo 4, Gears 2)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. MYTH or FACT: Slim PS3 consoles are more reliable than Fatty PS3s

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived