This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MYTH or FACT: Slim PS3 consoles are more reliable than Fatty PS3s

#1JessicaJungxoPosted 2/25/2013 9:48:23 AM
(when used under the same conditions)

My friend has a refurb fatty for years now, I just bought a Slim PS3.... (we both take good care of our systems)
---
PSN: Rutgers Student (Killzone 2, Binary Domain)
XBL: Jessica Jung xo (Halo Reach, Halo 4, Gears 2)
#2faris_ruhiPosted 2/25/2013 10:04:54 AM(edited)
Fact.

The various fat models had failure rates ranging from 5-20%. The slims have a failure rate of around/under 1%.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Going through backlog in order of release, Current game: Saints Row (360)
#3Stanger5150Posted 2/25/2013 10:04:24 AM
It's a fact, due to less energy consumption and better design, but the super slims should be even better.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#4superbowl54Posted 2/25/2013 10:07:42 AM
in my experience, slims are much more reliable.

My old BC 60GB had a nasty habit of YLODing like clockwork every 9-10 months or so for years.

I finally said screw it, and got a slim 2 years ago. Haven't had a problem since.

Very similar situation with my Xbox and one of the main reasons I won't buy any of the new consoles at launch.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#5nihilist212Posted 2/25/2013 10:08:16 AM
How is this even debatable?
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#6ValzacardXPosted 2/25/2013 10:17:25 AM
Well my Slim just died out of the blue. Shows the GRoD(Green light of Death). Turns on, but no video or sound whatsoever. I even applied new thermal paste, no go, and a reflow couldn't bring it back. But my uncle has a old fatty(could be a 40 or 60 gig never checked) that he just keeps for no good reason, and its still going strong.

But yeah I guess mine just sucked, going to save up and probably get a Super Slim, the GOW bundle looks good, but I just bought the Ultimate combo bundle that comes with 5 GOW games and a controller, so I want to import that European one.
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#7NicodimusPosted 2/25/2013 10:19:50 AM(edited)
I would be willing to bet that across the board, the Slim is more reliable, however my personal experience is the opposite.

My first fat PS3 lasted 1 year, 9 months.

My second fat PS3 lasted 4 years, 2 months.

My slim stopped playing blu-ray discs and having system crashes after 4 months. It still plays games but is dying.

I bought all three systems new. Just goes to show that you can take good care of them and still be very unlucky.
---
"I am not tacking up my living quarters with gaming machines -- I'm not 12. This isn't a damn bedroom with bunk beds and star wars posters in it."
#8TroutfischPosted 2/25/2013 11:34:09 AM
I take good care of my consoles and my PS3 FAT 40 GB Model lasted 4-1/2 years (purchased July 2008, YLOD January 2013).

Just picked up a Superslim exactly a week ago. Hopefully it will last me until I decide its time to upgrade to PS4.
---
PSN: Troutfisch
#9xenosaga123Posted 2/25/2013 11:47:16 AM
Don't the Slims overheat faster (in Summer weather) since they are smaller? They use less energy, but you'd think they would be more fragile.
#10JessicaJungxo(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 11:53:02 AM
xenosaga123 posted...
Don't the Slims overheat faster (in Summer weather) since they are smaller? They use less energy, but you'd think they would be more fragile.

idk i mean the slim 360s are regarded as the best xbox 360s
---
PSN: Rutgers Student (Killzone 2, Binary Domain)
XBL: Jessica Jung xo (Halo Reach, Halo 4, Gears 2)