This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game Station MGR review

#1LtMessiahDM504Posted 2/25/2013 10:56:55 AM
In case anyone is still on the fence, I didn't see any topics about this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpbgSNCZXVs
#2velvet_hammerPosted 2/25/2013 11:55:00 AM
probably b/c who the hell is game station? anyways my go to sources for reviews all gave thsi game a 8.5 or higher
---
"The purpose of life, is a life with a purpose. So I'd rather die for a cause, than live a life that is worthless!!" Immortal Technique
#3LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 1:17:05 PM
Well I figured since they had 600,000 subscribers, people would have heard of them. \

Anywho, something that the reviews don't go in to is the depth of the combat system. Could you maybe explain how it compares to Bayonetta/DMC/NG in terms of actual combat depth?
#4SigmaHacielPosted 2/25/2013 1:19:18 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
Well I figured since they had 600,000 subscribers, people would have heard of them. \

Anywho, something that the reviews don't go in to is the depth of the combat system. Could you maybe explain how it compares to Bayonetta/DMC/NG in terms of actual combat depth?

MGR is more like NG in terms of the Hack and Slash presentation.

A lot more visceral combat as opposed to plain stylish. Though, it has style. Raiden's swordplay is sexy to watch.

You have fewer freaky-out-there weapons and more combat-effective weapons, and your moves have great flow between them. You never really stop moving in combat (Imagine Dynasty Warriors 6 combat done RIGHT).

Also, TGS is full of pretentious ass hats. Nobody should have heard of them.
#5LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 2:04:33 PM
Do you unlock combos by upgrading your weapons? Can you upgrade the sub weapons? Do they unlock combos with those weapons?

I may not have fully went into the demo learning everything but it just felt like it was more of a button mash combat instead of like Bayonetta or NG's dial-a-combo.
#6SigmaHacielPosted 2/25/2013 2:05:38 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
Do you unlock combos by upgrading your weapons? Can you upgrade the sub weapons? Do they unlock combos with those weapons?

I may not have fully went into the demo learning everything but it just felt like it was more of a button mash combat instead of like Bayonetta or NG's dial-a-combo.

You unlock more skills by buying them. You upgrade weapons to get better benefits from them.

You can upgrade subs. You also get skills for the subs.

And it isn't all that mashy.
#7velvet_hammerPosted 2/25/2013 2:06:05 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

that review was terrible.. go read the eurogamer review or gametrailers.. both go in depth better then most on the combat..
---
"The purpose of life, is a life with a purpose. So I'd rather die for a cause, than live a life that is worthless!!" Immortal Technique
#8LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 2:11:53 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

that review was terrible.. go read the eurogamer review or gametrailers.. both go in depth better then most on the combat..

I have read Eurogamer and watched GT. Still didn't tell me what I needed to know.
#9velvet_hammerPosted 2/25/2013 2:17:16 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

I have read Eurogamer and watched GT. Still didn't tell me what I needed to know.

what do you need to know? I'm sure there is a movelist on youtube from someone.. Theres tons of moves and combos and ways to do them.. even hidden maneuvers.. lots of tricks to like blade mode canceling most animations, dodge canceling combos etc. Theres a thread on the 360 mgr board about a NG falling in love with this game and it reminds him of it..
---
#10LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 2:20:07 PM
It disappointed me that the subweapons weren't really there own weapon but more a replacement of the heavy attack.

NG Black and 2 are probably my favorite action games so that is a plus.

How is enemy variety? Also, what about unlockables?