This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did this gen get pushed to its limits graphic wise?

#13D3Posted 2/25/2013 7:29:09 PM
I feel like only a handful of games really pushed the hardware to their full potential and I believe most of them were exclusive games which makes sense I guess. But I look at a lot of multiplatform games and I feel like most of them had average graphics for the PS3/360. Games like Ghost Recon Future Soldier and Sleeping Dogs. Those were pretty good games but in terms of graphics they're pretty meh imo. Same thing for the new Tomb Raider, I'm sure that will be a pretty good game but it doesn't compare to Uncharted.

Was it because of lazy devs? Or making games for multiplatforms made it harder for most devs to make graphics better than they could have? I know there are great looking multiplatform games too.

So will it be a repeat for next gen? That we will have a lot of games that won't be going to the max capabilities of the PS4/720?
---
Because Naughty Dog
Joel+Ellie=Jelly...You Jelly?
#2Stanger5150Posted 2/25/2013 7:32:11 PM
No console has ever been maxed out to its limit.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish, Sonic 2 & Knuckles, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Operation C, Theatrythm: Final Fantasy
#3riddlebox89Posted 2/25/2013 7:36:37 PM
No, people always say "X game pushes this console to it's limits!" but they say that with every game they release.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#43D3(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 7:39:07 PM
Okay well I guess a handful got pretty high up there.
---
Because Naughty Dog
#5IcyBlaze_XZPosted 2/25/2013 7:40:42 PM(edited)
The WIi probably did.

Considering it was just a slightly souped up gamecube; if they can't get the most of gamecube technology in 11 years then no one in the tech/gaming industry will get the most out of anything.
---
b
#6riddlebox89Posted 2/25/2013 7:44:46 PM
3D3 posted...

They didn't, believe me, whenever a developer/publishers says a game they're making will push the system to the limits, they're pulling it out of their ass because when they get around to doing a sequel they're going to say the exact same thing even if it looks and performs worse than the previous game.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#7Stanger5150Posted 2/25/2013 7:45:48 PM
IcyBlaze_XZ posted...
The WIi probably did.

Considering it was just a slightly souped up gamecube; if they can't get the most of gamecube technology in 11 years then no one in the tech/gaming industry will get the most out of anything.

All we have ever seen on any console was the maximum that devs were willing/financially able to put into it. Nobody has ever put forth the money to develop a game that pushes any console to its absolute limit. This includes the Wii as well.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish, Sonic 2 & Knuckles, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Operation C, Theatrythm: Final Fantasy
#8BeastLeeAdamsPosted 2/25/2013 7:47:00 PM
GTA 5
---
I think everyone in the gaming world weather you are a Nintendrone, Sony Pony, Xbot or part of the Master Race can agree that Patcher should be fired.
#93D3(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 7:50:29 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
3D3 posted...

They didn't, believe me, whenever a developer/publishers says a game they're making will push the system to the limits, they're pulling it out of their ass because when they get around to doing a sequel they're going to say the exact same thing even if it looks and performs worse than the previous game.

Okay well I guess I'm talking about those games that look better than most games ala God of War III, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2/3 etc. Jebus
---
Because Naughty Dog
#10Stanger5150Posted 2/25/2013 7:51:44 PM
BeastLeeAdams posted...
GTA 5

Not even GTAV will max out the PS3.

The max for every console is unknown. Even Donkey Kong Country 2 could have been topped if it wasn't so expensive to do so.

We see the max output for the budget provided for the game. We have NEVER seen a game that maxes out a console.

A lot of it comes down to art style as well.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782