The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm sorry, but Demon/Dark Souls may be the most overrated game of all-time

#1bronze4v4proPosted 2/25/2013 11:19:56 PM
There is good difficulty and then there is bad difficulty.

Dark Souls is a game with bad difficulty.

In a game where dieing is required, having to fight your way through monsters that ALL respawn instantly when you die isn't a good game. Its a horrible design and the only reason people think its unique is because 99% of games this gen are ridiculously easy.

Not only am I going to go as far as to say its possibly the most overrated game ever, but maybe the worst game of all-time as well. If you take away the game's needless punishing of players, its a 5/10 game. Hear me out.

Lets say the default difficulty of Dark Souls is as easy as say, the default difficulty of Skyrim or Mass Effect 3. If this were the case, Demon/Dark Souls would have a meta score of about 65/100.

It does NOT a thing unique besides the difficulty. It has some of the worst UI and menu interfaces I have ever seen in a video game.

And no, the game hasn't kicked my ass. I've killed a few bosses already and can tell the game wants you to die so you "learn" how to play.

I'll never ever support a game like this. Its cheap and lacks any sort of heart.
#2SpurnerPosted 2/25/2013 11:21:52 PM(edited)
Nah

Edit: Also, they aren't the same game.
#3Raven_CyarmPosted 2/25/2013 11:21:40 PM
TC speaks truth.
---
#AntiSmark
http://www.youtube.com/RavenCyarm
#4mogar002Posted 2/25/2013 11:22:07 PM
If you're sorry then why spout this rubbish?
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#5_tanjil_Posted 2/25/2013 11:32:24 PM(edited)
yeah all that is true, the hype does come from the difficulty. If you could tank 2-3X more hits people would think less of it, whether they care to admit it.

But here's the thing it is hard, and I don't think it's ridiculously hard. If you're into these type of things, being afraid of dieing while progressing, planning each move carefully, that stuff hypes you up. Again, only if you're into that stuff

It's like how horror games used to be. Scarce ammo, fear of dieing, wanting to run away instead of taking on hoards as if you're superman
#6RyuuHou25Posted 2/25/2013 11:34:30 PM
You've killed a few bosses, have you? Well that requires at least 8-10 hours to do that, so the game can't be that horrible >.<
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#7king_maddenPosted 2/25/2013 11:34:56 PM
so just so i understand, the game shouldnt be rated so highly by people who actually like it, because the people who dont like it rate it lower.
#8Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 2/25/2013 11:40:07 PM
By focusing on just the difficulty of the game you are completely missing out on what actually makes Demon's Souls and Dark Souls so successful, which the fans and sales numbers completely obliterate your opinion overrated.

The first thing that caught my attention about the game was not the difficulty. It was the level design. Each level is meticulously crafted and designed with care. Castles feel like castles, caves feel like caves, and hell worlds filled with lava feel like hell.

The second thing that caught my attention about the game was the art design. Monsters jump straight out of H.P. Lovecraft novels (Guards from the Prison level in Demon's Souls still make me shudder). On top of the art design each enemies A.I. is detailed with attack/defense techniques and take a while to predict. But first and foremost the art style is amazing. If you don't see that I am sorry for you in that regard because the armors, bosses, and weapons are some of the best that the RPG genre has seen in a long while.

The last thing that truly sucked me into the series was the depth. For each attack there is a counter attack for each spell there is a defense. The game is balanced and the only failure in the game is you, the mistake you made, the panic you had, the fact that you ran when you should've attacked.

It's easy to just post a topic about a game being overrated but when a game series has actually stayed in the Top 10 on Gamefaqs for years it says something. Look at Final Fantasy Tactics or Persona 3.
#9z1hayzePosted 2/26/2013 12:06:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/x9EhR.jpg
---
XBL GT- xxpurplehayzexx
#10Skul_Posted 2/26/2013 12:10:21 AM

Dark Souls is the worst game of all-time

New to gaming my friend?
---
cave story is a nes or snes port-DemonDog666
i5-2500-GTX550TI-8GB; DSi; 3DS; GBASP; Wii;Galaxy SIII; iPod Touch 4th Gen;