This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm sorry, but Demon/Dark Souls may be the most overrated game of all-time

#71Power TurtlePosted 2/26/2013 6:35:42 AM(edited)
TC, that is your opinion. plain and simple. The Souls game's online is extremely unique, creating your own character and playing exactly how you want all the way down to what you wear or who you kill/help is a rare thing to find in a game aside from Bethesda games. the Souls games have a simple learn by mistake difficulty, that first playthrough aside, it becomes very EASY. i have beaten the game on NG+ at soul level 1, ONE. that's how simple it is if you just don't be stupid and pay attention to what you are doing. PVP in the Souls games are amazing, methodical, and each different person brings his own style to the combat. The souls games have offered me well over a thousand hours of enjoyment and i will continue to enjoy dark souls right up until i buy Dark Souls 2, Day 1.
#72ShenGonPosted 2/26/2013 6:35:38 AM
How is this for hyperbole:

The Souls game community has got to be the easiest community to troll ....ever
---
"Does Heaven wish us to destroy ourselves?"
Liu Bei, Kessen II
#73Swiftblade09Posted 2/26/2013 6:38:04 AM
bronze4v4pro posted...
There is good difficulty and then there is bad difficulty.

Dark Souls is a game with bad difficulty.

In a game where dieing is required, having to fight your way through monsters that ALL respawn instantly when you die isn't a good game. Its a horrible design and the only reason people think its unique is because 99% of games this gen are ridiculously easy.

Not only am I going to go as far as to say its possibly the most overrated game ever, but maybe the worst game of all-time as well. If you take away the game's needless punishing of players, its a 5/10 game. Hear me out.

Lets say the default difficulty of Dark Souls is as easy as say, the default difficulty of Skyrim or Mass Effect 3. If this were the case, Demon/Dark Souls would have a meta score of about 65/100.

It does NOT a thing unique besides the difficulty. It has some of the worst UI and menu interfaces I have ever seen in a video game.

And no, the game hasn't kicked my ass. I've killed a few bosses already and can tell the game wants you to die so you "learn" how to play.

I'll never ever support a game like this. Its cheap and lacks any sort of heart.

Dark Souls is better than both of those games even without the difficulty. Also the penalty for dying is pretty mild. You die and you lose all your souls. You don't lose anything else. Not only that but you can go back and get them again. It's a small penalty that imparts that you can't just die and continue on like nothing has happened.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raiz5MAb98Q
Official Salamence of the Pokemon X and Y boards
#74A_JolteonPosted 2/26/2013 6:38:47 AM
There is good difficulty, bad difficulty, and balanced difficulty.

Dark Souls is a game with balanced difficulty.

In a game where dieing is required to learn how to play the game, having to fight your way through monsters that ALL respawn instantly when you die is typical in RPG's. It's design is made so places feel unique and the only reason people think its unique is because 99% of games this gen are made so you press buttons to win.

Not only am I going to go as far as to say I hate it, but maybe the worst game of all-time as well. If you take away the game's need of punishing bad play, its a 5/10 game. Hear me out.

Lets say the default difficulty of Dark Souls is as easy as say, the default difficulty of Skyrim or Mass Effect 3. It would no longer be Dark Souls. If this were the case, Demon/Dark Souls would have a meta score of about 65/100.

Besides the varied combat, stats that actually matter as far as RPGs go, weapon/armor weight, roll speeds, shield weight and different animations based on said weapon/shield as well as different parrying speeds, 3 kinds of magics, weapons having entirely different movsets depending on the equipped weapon, and non-hand holding story (and more); It does NOT a thing unique besides the difficulty. It has some of the most basic UI and menu interfaces I have ever seen in a video game.

And yes, the game has kicked my ass. I've killed a few bosses already and can tell the game wants you to die so you "learn" how to adapt from your mistakes and therefore get better.

I'll never ever support a game like this. Its cheesy because learning how to play games isn't fun at all. Press X to win.

Fix'd

Also didn't FFXIII do that?
#75Shadowrider70Posted 2/26/2013 6:48:07 AM
The game's are not easy when you first start, that is for sure. Once you get into them though, the difficulty does feel a bit lower, unless you're under-leveled. The area before Blight Town was the hardest for me, due to getting cursed there. and fight a boss cursed, is not easy... >.> These games do have much more going for them than just the difficulty. I'm sorry if you don't like the game, even if you are a troll. Personally, I haven't played Dark Souls after dying three times at the start of Bight Town, and losing 30,000 souls. But I do find it hard to admit this game being bad.
---
I'm an all around gamer. Hand me a game, I'll play through it, than give a detailed report about it.
PSN: Shadowrider74
#76IronticsDragonLPosted 2/26/2013 6:50:14 AM
Shadowrider70 posted...
The game's are not easy when you first start, that is for sure. Once you get into them though, the difficulty does feel a bit lower, unless you're under-leveled. The area before Blight Town was the hardest for me, due to getting cursed there. and fight a boss cursed, is not easy... >.> These games do have much more going for them than just the difficulty. I'm sorry if you don't like the game, even if you are a troll. Personally, I haven't played Dark Souls after dying three times at the start of Bight Town, and losing 30,000 souls. But I do find it hard to admit this game being bad.

You should try Dark Souls again, especially since losing 30,000 souls is nothing.
---
VIOLENCE BRINGS VIOLENCE!
PSN: bradeli Steam: IronticsDragonLord Gamertag: AsternGoblin6 My Online Nintendo ID: IronticsDragonL
#77arcnovaPosted 2/26/2013 7:19:38 AM
bronze4v4pro posted...
There is good difficulty and then there is bad difficulty.

Dark Souls is a game with bad difficulty.

In a game where dieing is required, having to fight your way through monsters that ALL respawn instantly when you die isn't a good game. Its a horrible design and the only reason people think its unique is because 99% of games this gen are ridiculously easy.

Not only am I going to go as far as to say its possibly the most overrated game ever, but maybe the worst game of all-time as well. If you take away the game's needless punishing of players, its a 5/10 game. Hear me out.

Lets say the default difficulty of Dark Souls is as easy as say, the default difficulty of Skyrim or Mass Effect 3. If this were the case, Demon/Dark Souls would have a meta score of about 65/100.

It does NOT a thing unique besides the difficulty. It has some of the worst UI and menu interfaces I have ever seen in a video game.

And no, the game hasn't kicked my ass. I've killed a few bosses already and can tell the game wants you to die so you "learn" how to play.

I'll never ever support a game like this. Its cheap and lacks any sort of heart.

you can actually beat the game with out dying,
observe you surroundings
take notice of enemy patterns and strike when you get an opening
be patient and cautious

there are only two area that can trtip you up if your unprepared, those areas being crystal caverns and the catacombs

.the combat is fun
the enemies are great

dark souls isnt all about the difficulty
and in all honesty the game really ISNT that hard to begin with
---
soul silver code
2021 3448 6610
#78reaper0123Posted 2/26/2013 7:20:43 AM
So because enemies respawn... That must mean that all NES/SNES games were terrible as well?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Xenoriddley?feature=mhee
#79Shadowrider70Posted 2/26/2013 7:21:50 AM
IronticsDragonL posted...
Shadowrider70 posted...

You should try Dark Souls again, especially since losing 30,000 souls is nothing.

I will. I need to buy it though, since I was only borrowign it at the time. I also know 30,000 is nothing, but it was the highest amount I ever had, and was planning to level up with it. Or buy something to remove the friggin' curse... >.> Where can I get something to do that? Having half health was killing me.
---
I'm an all around gamer. Hand me a game, I'll play through it, than give a detailed report about it.
PSN: Shadowrider74
#80IloveElitePosted 2/26/2013 7:23:49 AM
Jiminip posted...
bronze4v4pro posted...

...because only people who fail at it don't like it.

This ^^ is the most ridiculous and insane thing I've read on these forums. *golfclap*