This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Eidos President talks about blocking used games on next gen consoles.

#41DJ_GunnerPosted 2/26/2013 8:59:59 AM
Most likely it will work the same as online passes do now. You'll pay $10 or whatever to be able to play the used game on a new account/machine.
---
"Aren't you the guy that bought expensive HDMI cables claiming cheap ones funded terrorism?" -The Killer 5
#42killakPosted 2/26/2013 9:01:14 AM
Did a patch cause it or something? I've had it since launch and it hasn't froze yet, granted I haven't played it in a few months.

I don't recall it happening when I first got it, so it could be a combination of PS3 firmware updates, and game updates, because the game freezes without fail, within minutes of starting a level. It can sit on the title screen for ages, without issue, and I can play botzone without issue......but the campaign freezes.

A bad save file, maybe? I tried manually starting a level, instead of loading my save, and the result was the same.
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na
#43TomoEK9Posted 2/26/2013 9:04:52 AM
MlREFOX posted...
WRRYYYYers posted...
OnDiscDLC posted...
God, these developers are getting so greedy and selfish.

And people are becoming dumb as rocks.

Protecting their sales is greedy and selfish? My God, the idiocy. Grow the hell up, child.

Why don't car companies start putting something in so only one person can own a car and not allow anyone else to own one? Used car sales cut into profits of the manufacturer, it's only fair.

Why are people allowed to sell their old clothes? That's ridiculous. How are clothe designers supposed to make any money if people can just up and sell their old stuff? Absolutely ludicrous.

See how stupid that sounds? I don't see why video games are any different.

You really don't think car companies don't try to combat used sales? They do it all the time through incentives like warranties and financing offers.

But it isn't even an accurate analogy because you are talking about depreciable property sales versus licensing agreements.

There is no industry on the planet that doesn't try to mitigate resale and price undercutting in one way or another and to call a company greedy or selfish for doing so only shows a serious lack of understanding of business.

I love used games and I love paying less. I wish developers would look the other way because I benefit from the used market. But I am also intelligent and mature enough to understand business and economic strategies and I'm not stupid and childish enough to call a company selfish or greedy for doing what it can to mitigate loss.

Just to clarify that bold part. Warranties and financing are offered through dealers, dealers are NOT owned by the manufacturer, they are independent companies that operate like a franchise. As far as a dealer is concerned, a sale is a sale, used or new. A new car may be worth more, but a used car is an easier sell, and yes you can get a warranty and financing on a used car if purchased from a dealer.

You can equate a dealer to Gamestop. As far as GS is concerned, if they sell a game, they sell a game, used or new makes no difference, other than a new game costing more. You can purchase extended warranties from GS which have nothing to do with the original maker of the game.

While used sales may cut into new sales, no other industry whines as much or works as hard to impede their consumer as the gaming industry. All other industries recognize used sales exist and try to make their newer products more attractive. The gaming industry just wants to shutdown the second hand market all together, and their newer products aren't exactly becoming more attractive to boot.
#44MlREFOXPosted 2/26/2013 9:12:48 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
MlREFOX posted...
WRRYYYYers posted...
OnDiscDLC posted...
God, these developers are getting so greedy and selfish.

And people are becoming dumb as rocks.

Protecting their sales is greedy and selfish? My God, the idiocy. Grow the hell up, child.

Why don't car companies start putting something in so only one person can own a car and not allow anyone else to own one? Used car sales cut into profits of the manufacturer, it's only fair.

Why are people allowed to sell their old clothes? That's ridiculous. How are clothe designers supposed to make any money if people can just up and sell their old stuff? Absolutely ludicrous.

See how stupid that sounds? I don't see why video games are any different.

You really don't think car companies don't try to combat used sales? They do it all the time through incentives like warranties and financing offers.

But it isn't even an accurate analogy because you are talking about depreciable property sales versus licensing agreements.

There is no industry on the planet that doesn't try to mitigate resale and price undercutting in one way or another and to call a company greedy or selfish for doing so only shows a serious lack of understanding of business.

I love used games and I love paying less. I wish developers would look the other way because I benefit from the used market. But I am also intelligent and mature enough to understand business and economic strategies and I'm not stupid and childish enough to call a company selfish or greedy for doing what it can to mitigate loss.

Just to clarify that bold part. Warranties and financing are offered through dealers, dealers are NOT owned by the manufacturer, they are independent companies that operate like a franchise. As far as a dealer is concerned, a sale is a sale, used or new. A new car may be worth more, but a used car is an easier sell, and yes you can get a warranty and financing on a used car if purchased from a dealer.

You can equate a dealer to Gamestop. As far as GS is concerned, if they sell a game, they sell a game, used or new makes no difference, other than a new game costing more. You can purchase extended warranties from GS which have nothing to do with the original maker of the game.

While used sales may cut into new sales, no other industry whines as much or works as hard to impede their consumer as the gaming industry. All other industries recognize used sales exist and try to make their newer products more attractive. The gaming industry just wants to shutdown the second hand market all together, and their newer products aren't exactly becoming more attractive to boot.

Yes, but for the third time this thread, there is a huge difference:

Video games are licenses, not products. If you buy new or used, physical or digital, you are getting the same experience. The game is licensed to the original owner, but what used sales are doing is re-licensing the games.

Cars and other personal property depreciate. There is a difference between a new and used car. Dealers try to mitigate losses for sure, but the products are actually different between new and used and that in and of itself serves as loss mitigation.

And I'll say this again, too - I love buying used and I love saving money. I wish developers would look the other way because I would benefit. But there is nothing illegal, immoral, selfish, or greedy about a corporation if any kind doing what it can to prevent loss through resale.
#45TomoEK9Posted 2/26/2013 9:24:34 AM
MlREFOX posted...

Video games are licenses, not products. If you buy new or used, physical or digital, you are getting the same experience. The game is licensed to the original owner, but what used sales are doing is re-licensing the games.

Cars and other personal property depreciate. There is a difference between a new and used car. Dealers try to mitigate losses for sure, but the products are actually different between new and used and that in and of itself serves as loss mitigation.

And I'll say this again, too - I love buying used and I love saving money. I wish developers would look the other way because I would benefit. But there is nothing illegal, immoral, selfish, or greedy about a corporation if any kind doing what it can to prevent loss through resale.

A product like a video game may not wear and tear like a car may, but in the end, principle is the same.

A person can go out and buy a brand new 2013 Honda Civic, or they can purchase a used 2005 Model. Granted the older version may need some maintenance and won't be like new, and will lack features present on a newer model, its cheaper for that reason.

A person can go out and buy Black ops 2 or they can purchase World at War used. Granted the older version (if on disc) can be scratched up a bit but it will play like new, and it lacks features present in the new game, its cheaper for that reason.

Even if you go digital, a used game lacks the features of a new game, much like a used car lacks features of a new car. Even if its just a licensing agreement, and the experience is the same, the desirability of that agreement goes down as newer things come out, and thus the cost of it goes down.
#46shawnmckPosted 2/26/2013 9:59:41 AM
Microsoft is just digging their own grave if all this is true.

Fewer people will buy the next X-Box console....Developers will stop supporting it by not making any more games for it.....and then MS will drop support like they did with the original X-Box.

I almost hope this rumor is true, because MS has been pissing me off lately because they refuse to invest any time & money in developing new franchises the way Sony is.
Microsoft is getting as lazy & arrogant as Sony did at the end of last get (beginning of this gen).

They (MS) needs good swift kick in the ass.
#47MlREFOXPosted 2/26/2013 10:01:06 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
MlREFOX posted...

A product like a video game may not wear and tear like a car may, but in the end, principle is the same.

A person can go out and buy a brand new 2013 Honda Civic, or they can purchase a used 2005 Model. Granted the older version may need some maintenance and won't be like new, and will lack features present on a newer model, its cheaper for that reason.

A person can go out and buy Black ops 2 or they can purchase World at War used. Granted the older version (if on disc) can be scratched up a bit but it will play like new, and it lacks features present in the new game, its cheaper for that reason.

Even if you go digital, a used game lacks the features of a new game, much like a used car lacks features of a new car. Even if its just a licensing agreement, and the experience is the same, the desirability of that agreement goes down as newer things come out, and thus the cost of it goes down.

What are you trying to argue? That blocking used games is illegal? Immoral? Selfish? Greedy? It is none of these, outside of the typical corporate goals of profit, which corporations actually have a duty to maximize.
#48VigilantStevePosted 2/26/2013 10:13:21 AM
The used car analogy is and always has been terrible. Why do people still use it? Cars are mechanical and therefore suffer from wear and tear over time. As such, they tend to lose function and force you to replace parts which costs you money over time. Since many of these parts come straight from the manufacturer, they can and do make money from used cars.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't see anything particularly wrong with used games, but I can understand where publishers & developers are coming from as well.
#49MlREFOXPosted 2/26/2013 10:18:31 AM
VigilantSteve posted...
The used car analogy is and always has been terrible. Why do people still use it? Cars are mechanical and therefore suffer from wear and tear over time. As such, they tend to lose function and force you to replace parts which costs you money over time. Since many of these parts come straight from the manufacturer, they can and do make money from used cars.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't see anything particularly wrong with used games, but I can understand where publishers & developers are coming from as well.

Yeah, it really is a bad analogy that needs to be dropped. There are so many major differences that it really doesn't work. Cars are depreciable personal property. There are a ton of legal distinctions between that and licensed software.
#50RoxasANobodyPosted 2/26/2013 10:20:05 AM
They're really pushing their limits on this one. Do the market analysts even read what we type? They're so out of touch with their consumers. Once mom and dad hear that they won't be able to buy a $9.99 used game, they won't buy the new consoles or the new games. With prices of games expected to go up due to the need for bigger dev teams, who would want to buy a $400 console and $70 games?

I can live without Uncharted and Halo if it means saving me a few hundred dollars. I'd rather put a new quad core into my computer, add a GPU later on in its life, and game through that. Gaming is quickly becoming a money sink.
---
"aremdaun bami"
Currently playing: R&C HD Collection, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Assassin's Creed III