This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EA says consumers 'enjoying and embracing' microtransactions

#1MassimilienoPosted 2/26/2013 7:34:08 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-consumers-enjoying-and-embracing-microtransactions-6404525

CFO Blake Jorgensen says microtransactions will be built into more and more of publisher's games moving forward.

Gamers are "enjoying and embracing" microtransactions, according to Electronic Arts chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen. Speaking today during the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, the executive said microtransactions will be built into more and more of the publisher's titles moving forward.

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level, to buy a new characters; to buy a truck or gun or whatever it might be," Jorgensen said. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

In order for EA's microtransactions platform to flourish, the correct technology must be in place, Jorgensen said. Not only has this been achieved through efforts from chief technology officer Rajat Taneja, but EA has made this business more profitable by bringing it in-house.

"We've got to have a very strong backend to make sure…if you're doing microtransactions, and you're processing credit cards for every one of those microtransactions, you'll get eaten alive. And so Rajat's team has built an amazing backend to manage that and manage that much more profitably. We've outsourced a lot of that stuff historically; we're bringing that all in-house now."

Check back later today for more comments from EA's presentation.

---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#2bdavis93Posted 2/26/2013 7:35:26 PM
Those aren't gamers.
Those are casual scum promoting the destruction of gaming as we know it.
#3Ghetto_ninjaPosted 2/26/2013 7:35:43 PM
I liked it better when you unlocked things through gameplay.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!!!
#4Impaired MedicPosted 2/26/2013 7:43:00 PM(edited)
Later today, we'll talk more about how EA has stopped receiving money from Impaired Medic and what they plan to do about it.

More microtransactions.
---
I eat stickers all the time, dude.
#5gucciburrrPosted 2/26/2013 7:39:22 PM
Go Go EA!!! I love microtransactions!!!!!
---
Man I hate bein SOOOOOOOOBA!!!!!!
#6Soggy13Posted 2/26/2013 7:39:37 PM
Impaired Medic posted...
Later today, we'll take more about how EA has stopped receiving money from Impaired Medic and what they plan to do about it.

More microtransactions.

I was like who the hell is Impaired Medic, then I was like ohhh. Well played sir.
---
PSN/LIVE: MassacredOne
Me thinks words is hard...
#7Stanger5150Posted 2/26/2013 7:39:39 PM
I don't see a problem, as long as micro transactions aren't the only way to get those items. If I can still get everything the old-fashioned way, let people have options.

If they become the only option, I'll have a problem.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish, Sonic 2 & Knuckles, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Operation C, Theatrythm: Final Fantasy
#8SuperShadowAcePosted 2/26/2013 7:40:53 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
I don't see a problem, as long as micro transactions aren't the only way to get those items. If I can still get everything the old-fashioned way, let people have options.

If they become the only option, I'll have a problem.

Or it will be like in F2P MMO's or any ArcSys fighter where you can get it ingame, it just takes 30 hours of grinding or is an inhuman challenge.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#9The_PlagueLordPosted 2/26/2013 7:41:38 PM
Crazy thing...... I think this article is despicable.

Yet i buy NHL every year and since last year, to stay competitive in my online BE-A-PRO player,i had to shell about 25$ worth of micro transactions of 0.99$, 1.49$, 1.99$ each to buy upgrades for my guys because if not, unlocking those would take about 2-3 full seasons of single player gameplay, which i dont ever play, bought it for online.

Yet most people bought em to get even faster and the only way to keep up was to do the same, kinda like the steroid dopers lol.....

I actively helped them think we like this garbage but for some games if you truly love them, what is 25$ more if i play it every day for 1 year?

DIscuss.
#10Impaired MedicPosted 2/26/2013 7:45:38 PM
Soggy13 posted...
I was like who the hell is Impaired Medic, then I was like ohhh. Well played sir.

It would have been, had I not made a typo and been forced to pay a fee to fix it! (Thanks for buying GameFAQs, EA!)
---
I eat stickers all the time, dude.