This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where did gaming start? Consoles or PCs?

#1zerogravity399Posted 2/27/2013 10:50:38 AM
I notice that during the Playstation 1 & 2 console era, all of those games were only available on the actual consoles. Then, when the Playstation 3 came along, some of the PS3 games started getting moved to the PC's. Why is this?

Is it because the technology wasn't available before on the PC? Where exactly did the technology start? On the gaming consoles, or on the PC's?.. Sorry for confusing question.
#2kupo1705Posted 2/27/2013 10:54:47 AM
Neither, on computers.
#3este914Posted 2/27/2013 10:55:02 AM
Yes, I am definitely confused.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#4true_gamer80Posted 2/27/2013 10:56:10 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5tmons78Posted 2/27/2013 10:58:47 AM
Gaming started in the 1970s (some say even farther back), before PCs were commonplace. They started on dedicated machines, but not really consoles.
#6este914Posted 2/27/2013 11:00:56 AM
hmmmm ...

Since TC didn't specifiy Video Games in his topic.... The answer is gaming started before the dawn of time!!!! hehe
I'm sure even cavemen played games once in a while... I cant imagine them being much fun but yea.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#7KabtheMentatPosted 2/27/2013 11:01:01 AM
Neither, on computers.

Neither. I believe it was a modified radio tuner thing. I forget the actual name of it right now.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#8tmons78Posted 2/27/2013 11:02:27 AM
este914 posted...
hmmmm ...

Since TC didn't specifiy Video Games in his topic.... The answer is gaming started before the dawn of time!!!! hehe
I'm sure even cavemen played games once in a while... I cant imagine them being much fun but yea.

I bet they were hilariously AWESOME! Of course, I'm using "Caveman Games" on the NES as a reference point.
#9PStrifePosted 2/27/2013 11:04:06 AM
Computer, consoles wasn't even a feasible concept until the 1970s due to the size of them semiconductor chips.
#10theshovellerPosted 2/27/2013 11:04:48 AM
Gaming "tech" started on PCs, from a very technical standpoint, back in the... I want to say 60's with stuff like Space War and whatnot. As for your question though, specifically regarding "PC games and console games" being different until this generation, it's kind of a yes-and-no. Lemme go more in-depth:

Way back when, when computers were running MS-DOS and "Windows" was nothing but a GUI (Graphical User Interface) for DOS, there were a few console-to-PC games that were "console games" in name only. I had Mega Man for the PC, and this was something that played similarly to the console versions, but was still drastically different - four bosses you stole powers from, original levels, even the first instance of Mega Man actually "swimming." The graphics weren't quite the same as the console Mega Man games, but they were still identifiable - easily - as Mega Man.

Fast forward a bit to the brink of PS1's birth and the end of the SNES / Genesis era. You had a few more console games on PC - actual same-as-the-console games, minus one or two small things. Mega Man X was almost identical on the PC as it was on the SNES, with the only exception being no secret Hadouken upgrade. Mega Man X3 was the same as the Sega Saturn version. Mega Man Legends was the same as on PS1. Mortal Kombat was the same as the Mortal Kombat they had for Genesis and such. Virtual On and a few other Sega Saturn games were ported over to PC. Compilations came out for PC of older Genesis games. Square teamed with Eidos to bring Final Fantasy 7 to PCs with slightly-updated visuals (I think they gave "field screen Cloud" eyebrows, or something,) and brought Final Fantasy 8 to PCs as well.

This also worked in reverse, too. Older games that were on PC for a while also started coming out for consoles - Duke Nukem 3D came out on PS1, as did Dark Forces. I believe some of the Wing Commander games, as well as Command and Conquer, also started to come out for the PS1 when they were exclusively on PCs.

As for why the number of console games on PC, and PC games on consoles, has seemingly increased in recent years, I believe it's because more and more games are being made with wider appeal, and the best way to get your game out to the most people is by making sure it's available for as many things as possible. Selling every ice cream flavor in the book is good, but if you're only serving people in a one-block radius you're severely limiting yourself to who you can sell your goods to.

Some companies still favor optimization, though, and that's why some games that aren't first-party-made games are still single-console exclusive - they're either making sure it runs well on that one console, don't have the staff to develop it for multiple platforms, or made a deal with that console manufacturer to keep it as an exclusive.

That's just my take on the whole thing.