This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you play a COD-esque game as the Axis forces in WWII?

#51KabtheMentatPosted 2/27/2013 1:04:01 PM
The "humane option" wasn't a realistic one.

So quit trying to kid yourself.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#52killakPosted 2/27/2013 1:05:24 PM
The "humane option" wasn't a realistic one.

So quit trying to kid yourself.

didn't know you could foresee the future, almost 70 years ago.
---
..you're supposed to put spoilers when you talk about the color of the sky. some people haven't seen it yet. - llaW_Enots
#53KabtheMentatPosted 2/27/2013 1:09:03 PM
Study any amount of time about the war and Japan at the time and you'd understand that.

But nah, we should've invented unicorns, flew them over the island and dropped notes stating our strong displeasure at the current hostilities and asked sternly, but respectfully, for them to stop. If that didn't work we could've wrote even more nasty letters.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#54ElDudorinoPosted 2/27/2013 1:09:06 PM
When dealing with somebody who wants to kill you, and quite possibly believes that they are being led by a divine who wants you dead, there are probably far fewer "humane" options than you'd like to think.
#55killakPosted 2/27/2013 1:13:26 PM
Study any amount of time about the war and Japan at the time and you'd understand that.

But nah, we should've invented unicorns, flew them over the island and dropped notes stating our strong displeasure at the current hostilities and asked sternly, but respectfully, for them to stop. If that didn't work we could've wrote even more nasty letters.

Yes, because i'm referring to notes as the humane option.

I guess we can safely assume that you get your factual news from Fox, since you think if they did it, it was right.

When dealing with somebody who wants to kill you, and quite possibly believes that they are being led by a divine who wants you dead, there are probably far fewer "humane" options than you'd like to think.

why didn't they nuke Iraq? Why didn't they nuke Korea and Vietnam? Why didn't they nuke Iraq after 9/11?
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#56theshovellerPosted 2/27/2013 1:16:15 PM
KabtheMentat posted...

Unicorns don't fly, man. Not sure where you're getting your info. I think you might be confusing a unicorn (a horned horse whose horn has magical powers) with a pegasus (a winged horse named after the mythical beast given to Perseus by his father Zeus.)
#57docholliday504Posted 2/27/2013 1:26:29 PM
killak posted...

You don't force a surrender by killing people.

Not to split hairs here but that's actually the primary method by which nations have been forcing surrenders since the dawn of civilization.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't civilian targets. They were military targets that suffered civilian collateral damage. Many more civilians would've died had the war continued.

Your metaphor couldn't be less apt. Belligerent nations aren't schoolyard bullies. Japan wasn't fighting because they were dicks who liked to listen to Rush and give Indian Rubs. They were a nation facing famine and compromised shipping lanes. If the plan in your little anecdote didn't work out, at the worst you had a hurt hand and were out a piece of wood. If the United States had dropped the bomb in the Pacific Ocean and the Japanese didn't relent, they'd have wasted a serious military resource and untold billions of dollars and more americans would've died.

We're not living in CandyLand.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Max Payne 3, Persona 3
#58ElDudorinoPosted 2/27/2013 1:29:55 PM

why didn't they nuke Iraq? Why didn't they nuke Korea and Vietnam? Why didn't they nuke Iraq after 9/11?

Why are you even asking this question? The world is terrified of nuclear weapons now, and rightly so. There are very few people who would compare these situations. Also, the US did NOT use anything resembling a "humane" option in any of those scenarios.

Furthermore, those are wars the US started and pushed, so they were the aggressors there. Nippon/Japan were the aggressors in that scenario and THEY were the ones who refused to end the war, which makes the comparison even weirder.
#59nihilist212Posted 2/27/2013 1:32:04 PM
I think the PC losers would cause too much of an uproar over something like this. And I don't by PC I don't mean computers.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#60theatrical_catPosted 2/27/2013 1:37:08 PM
theshoveller posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Unicorns don't fly, man. Not sure where you're getting your info. I think you might be confusing a unicorn (a horned horse whose horn has magical powers) with a pegasus (a winged horse named after the mythical beast given to Perseus by his father Zeus.)

We could, in theory, genetically engineer either unicorns with wings or Pegasuses with magic horns. I mean, war neccessates all kinds of new inventions.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.